What songs would you show someone if you were introducing them to heavy metal?

Oct 8, 2005
By what band, and which songs? Let's say.... what 5 songs?

I'd go with Metallica- Master of Puppets
Black Sabbath- Iron Man, or Symptom of the Universe
Opeth- either The Moor, or Bleak
Megadeth- Wake Up Dead
At the Gates- Blinded By Fear

I guess you can list more than 5, since I had a difficult time narrowing it down to 5.

somethign form every genre I suppose

Megadeth
Blind Guardian
Death
Decapitated
Emperor
Enslaved
Dark Tranquility/In Flames

to "get into" metal in a conventional sense i think requires a fairly decent understanding of the staple (and yes, cliched) metal bands and songs. if you havent heard all of the obvious choices below, then you probably should re-evaluate your priorities and visit the classics. and stop listening to dan swano stuff so much. anyway, my suggestion looks something like the following:

black sabbath - paranoid
mercyful fate - melissa
venom - poisoned
metallica - master of puppets
iron maiden - hallowed be thy name
judas priest - jawbreaker
megadeth - holy wars
deicide - dead by dawn
morbid angel - immortal rites
celtic frost - dawn of meggido
candlemass - well of souls
bathory - a fine day to die
emperor - i am the black wizards
death - trapped in a corner
motorhead - ace of spades
darkthrone - cromlech
carcass - heartwork
opeth - when
slayer - raining blood
mayhem - chainsaw gutsfuck
paradise lost - gothic
at the gates - forever blind

all of those are some of the more important and accessible songs for a newcomer, which also provide a fairly reasonable foundation and introduction to metal through all its eras and also represents just about every immediate sub-genre without becoming too overbearing (ala: forest metal, or goregrind). hope that helps. most of those are still classic favorites of mine to this day many years down the road.

In my opinion, you should let them hear the most epic metal song that you have. The songs should be a at least five minutes long. I would say let them hear:

Emporer 'the Tongue of Fire', if they dont like any of the riffs from that song then they suck. Also 'Into the Worldless Chamber' is sick.

In Flames - December Flower

Opeth - When (of course)

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire

Pantera - Cemetary Gates

Also these are some of my favorites:

Iron Maiden - Children of the damned:headbang:
Unearth - Zombie Autopilot:headbang:
Mastadon - Blood and thunder:headbang:
Slayer - Raining blood:headbang: :headbang:
Megadeth - Kick the chair:headbang:
Children of Bodom - Needled 24/7:headbang:
Arch Enemy - We Will Rise, or Nemesis:headbang:
Carcass - Heartwork:headbang:

Metallica-The unforgiven
Metallica-welcome home (sanitarium)
Sepultura-Refuse/resist (with max)
Bloodbath-Brave new hell
Opeth-The grand conjuration
Rammstein-Mein hertz brennt
Amon amarth-The poursuit of viking
Dimmu borgir-the insight and the carthasis
Dimmu borgir-Progenies of the great apocalypse

good thread! When i was about 11-12 years old, an older guy at school gave me a compliation tape, from what i can remember it had the following:

Angel Of Death - Slayer
Killed By Death - Motorhead
Madhouse - Anthrax
Freewheel Burning (live) - Judas Priest
She's Got Balls - AC/DC
The Manimal (live) - WASP
Master Of Puppets - Metallica
Prowler - Iron Maiden
The Antichrist (live) - Slayer
Liar - Megadeth
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Motorbreath - Metallica
Skeleton In The Closet - Anthrax

this was the definative selection which got me into metal!

Yes start with 80's Metallica. Then show them some of the 90's Metallica or dare I say it new millenium Metallica to make them appreciate how great they once were.

Also some Maiden & Sabbath are essential.

For the 90's I'd slip in some Tool-Undertow. Since you're introducing them to metal, you probably don't want to scare them away with any Death Metal or extreme hard core. Maybe go with CoC-Deliverance (yes great album title, used by many) for some great southern rock.

There are so many choices. Wow, this is tough :erk:

Some Pantera would also be good.

The Locust, Sunn0))), Pig Destroyer and Nile, in a mixed playlist.
If they can endure that and not hurt me or themselves in the process I think a metal-head would be created... or a wreck of a person...

They listen to most other metal and it will sound almost "normal" by comparison...

But if its an elderly person who you want to get into metal may I suggest forgetting that plan :p

Reign in Blood - Slayer

I'm not a big fan of Slayer, but if you can't get passed Slayer then your chances of ever being into anything heavier.

Anything by Iron Maiden - Because if you can't get passed exactly how tongue in cheek heavy metal is you'll probably never like it.

I'm might think of more later.

I would skip strait to Opeth or maybe something more accessable like Nevermore. Honestly, the "classics" are what kept me from getting into metal. Its the first stuff that comes to mind when you think "metal", and the classics don't do it for me.

If this puts me out of touch with the metal scene, so be it. I don't care.

I dont see why someone would be turned off by death metal vocals. Also there is nothing wrong with hearing the classics first. And then there is the question of letting them hear Opeth, you might want to let them hear something slightly less perfect. Otherwise you might damage their outlook on lesser bands :)

metal_wrath said:
I dont see why someone would be turned off by death metal vocals. Also there is nothing wrong with hearing the classics first. And then there is the question of letting them hear Opeth, you might want to let them hear something slightly less perfect. Otherwise you might damage their outlook on lesser bands :)

ERRRR what? thats what turns most people off Death & black metal. The singing.. come on now!!!

I think songs like Black Sabbath:- Black Sabbath
Metallica:- Fade to Black
Pantera:- Cemetery gates
Slayer:- Angel of Death
Opeth:- The Drapery falls
Children of Bodom:- Bed of Razors
Symphony x:- Fallen

Benighted1 said:
ERRRR what? thats what turns most people off Death & black metal. The singing.. come on now!!!
If you are turned off to metal because of death vox then you will never like modern metal. How do you think Trivium and Lamb of God and In Flames... are so popular. Their vocals are to the extremes, yet they draw new people to metal everyday.