What songs would you show someone if you were introducing them to heavy metal?

I can't point out individual songs but i'd suggest the best from these artists:

Opeth
Iron Maiden
Children of Bodom
Emperor
In Flames
Arsis
At The Gates
Metallica
Arch Enemy
Behemoth
Lamb of God

metal_wrath said:
If you are turned off to metal because of death vox then you will never like modern metal. How do you think Trivium and Lamb of God and In Flames... are so popular. Their vocals are to the extremes, yet they draw new people to metal everyday.

Thats absolute rubbish the majority of people don't like Death vox when they first hear them. thats why bands like metallica etc are a good gateway band. For example I hated death vox before I heard bands like Pantera, Opeth etc & it took me a lot of listening to get used to them... You don't either like or dislike something straight away, some things take a while to get used to.

I think the first metal album that I actually listened to and liked was Sepultura - Roots. That album is not Sepultura's best, but I still love it. Then I got the tape of a Turkish metal band that was getting bigger in Turkey at the time (which is not getting too big at all - they also are really not that good). After that I got more Sepultura, Arise and Chaos AD. I guess Sepultura worked for me. I would certainly introduce someone to metal with some classic Sepultura songs, like Arise, Refuse/Resist, Propaganda etc. I am a little surprised that only one person so far has mentioned Sepultura.

derbeder said:
I think the first metal album that I actually listened to and liked was Sepultura - Roots. That album is not Sepultura's best, but I still love it. Then I got the tape of a Turkish metal band that was getting bigger in Turkey at the time (which is not getting too big at all - they also are really not that good). After that I got more Sepultura, Arise and Chaos AD. I guess Sepultura worked for me. I would certainly introduce someone to metal with some classic Sepultura songs, like Arise, Refuse/Resist, Propaganda etc. I am a little surprised that only one person so far has mentioned Sepultura.

yea true I forgot about them, they were my next stage of heaviness after Metallica that I really got into, Roots was their first album for me too!
I love that song "straighthate" !!

Benighted1 said:
Thats absolute rubbish the majority of people don't like Death vox when they first hear them. thats why bands like metallica etc are a good gateway band. For example I hated death vox before I heard bands like Pantera, Opeth etc & it took me a lot of listening to get used to them... You don't either like or dislike something straight away, some things take a while to get used to.
You are wrong there, I personally liked death vox the first time I heard them. Yes, some people do not like 'harsh' vocals, but then some people don't like Iron Maiden or power metal because of the falsettos, just ask around. Most people I think would prefer a middle ground. In your case, Opeth, who actually sings more than they use death vox. I think that settle's the argument.:Smug:

I got my gf into opeth with Bleak and some damnation. I got another friend into metal who is watching me type this with Rammstein. I start with some softer stuff (metallica, damnation, etc) and then gradually go to Pig Destroyer. They never like pig destroyer. :(

NineFeetUnderground said:
to "get into" metal in a conventional sense i think requires a fairly decent understanding of the staple (and yes, cliched) metal bands and songs. if you havent heard all of the obvious choices below, then you probably should re-evaluate your priorities and visit the classics. and stop listening to dan swano stuff so much. anyway, my suggestion looks something like the following:

black sabbath - paranoid
mercyful fate - melissa
venom - poisoned
metallica - master of puppets
iron maiden - hallowed be thy name
judas priest - jawbreaker
megadeth - holy wars
deicide - dead by dawn
morbid angel - immortal rites
celtic frost - dawn of meggido
candlemass - well of souls
bathory - a fine day to die
emperor - i am the black wizards
death - trapped in a corner
motorhead - ace of spades
darkthrone - cromlech
carcass - heartwork
opeth - when
slayer - raining blood
mayhem - chainsaw gutsfuck
paradise lost - gothic
at the gates - forever blind
lol, I only know 4 of those songs.
I'm so smart, I just skipped the classics and went straight to awesome progressive metal ;)

affinityband said:
Opeth use clean vocals more than death vocals, thats a good one lol.

Have you heard Damnation and Deliverance?

Damnation=all clean vocals

Deliverance=some clean vocals

Total sum, mostly clean vocals. Plus all of Opeths songs have clean vocals exept for two, not incl. instrumentals.

metal_wrath said:
You are wrong there, I personally liked death vox the first time I heard them. Yes, some people do not like 'harsh' vocals, but then some people don't like Iron Maiden or power metal because of the falsettos, just ask around. Most people I think would prefer a middle ground. In your case, Opeth, who actually sings more than they use death vox. I think that settle's the argument.:Smug:

LOL at you. So you think Opeth sing more than use death vox :lol: mm kay.
and how can I be wrong when what I was saying was from personal experience... :Smug: :Smug:

metal_wrath said:

ok first of all, just because you didn't mind death metal/vox the first time around doesn't mean the majority of people who listen to it for the first time didn't. what is the most common description a non-metaller would tell you about metal? "the 'music' is nothing but noise, and what's up with that singing? its nothing but screaming!" and most of the time they are only talking about "weaker" bands like to use someone's examples LoG and trivium.

second of all, most of orchid, morningrise, MAYH is death vox. sure morningrise has to bid you farewell and other moments of clean singing, but most of those three is death vox. those threee albums alone easily outweigh the all cleanness of damnation and the "some" cleanness of deliverance.
but to contribute to this thread i would introduce them with mainly sabbath.

bloodlust rampant said:
ok first of all, just because you didn't mind death metal/vox the first time around doesn't mean the majority of people who listen to it for the first time didn't. what is the most common description a non-metaller would tell you about metal? "the 'music' is nothing but noise, and what's up with that singing? its nothing but screaming!" and most of the time they are only talking about "weaker" bands like to use someone's examples LoG and trivium.

second of all, most of orchid, morningrise, MAYH is death vox. sure morningrise has to bid you farewell and other moments of clean singing, but most of those three is death vox. those threee albums alone easily outweigh the all cleanness of damnation and the "some" cleanness of deliverance.
but to contribute to this thread i would introduce them with mainly sabbath.

Agreed!!!

metal_wrath said:
Have you heard Damnation and Deliverance?

Damnation=all clean vocals

Deliverance=some clean vocals

Total sum, mostly clean vocals. Plus all of Opeths songs have clean vocals exept for two, not incl. instrumentals.

Stop digging yourself a bigger hole. Opeth overall clearly has more death vox than clean. Have you even heard blackwater park and before because from what your saying Im guessing you haven't. Damnation is an exception to the rule.. Go listen to the first 5 albums and then come back..

In the words of Mike:- "We are a Death metal band"
I duno about you but I don't know to many Death metal bands with mainly clean vox..

Benighted1 said:
Stop digging yourself a bigger hole. Opeth overall clearly has more death vox than clean. Have you even heard blackwater park and before because from what your saying Im guessing you haven't. Damnation is an exception to the rule.. Go listen to the first 5 albums and then come back..

In the words of Mike:- "We are a Death metal band"
I duno about you but I don't know to many Death metal bands with mainly clean vox..

You haven't proved anything. I have every Opeth album actually. Listen to them for hours everyday. I still think that Opeth has more singing vocals line for line than growling vocals. Blackwater Park is full of clean vocals also fyi.