What the deal with emperor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overrating is normally always seen as derogatory. Implicitly it is saying that the band are not worthy of the hype that the fans give them. For bands such as Cof, thats true. Emperor have at least produced/contributed music that is far more valuable and original than Cof.

serial killer said:
ok theres been alot of me bashin as of late so lets clear it up 1.no, im not a troll I just have one profile my own, serial killer. 2.I consider C.o.F black metal because they got all the elements maybe your opinian of what makes black metal differs from mine but thats it 3.if you emperor is complex because they got some asshole playing the organ you are sadly mistakeing and dont ever compare them to mayhem they rule and acually are hardcore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cof is considered bm by whom? Mostly mall goths. Thus their opinion is null and void. To them it's 'cool' music rather than art. I'm sure there are people that will think of considering Emperor as art, as pretentious.

Furthermore, playing the organ does not make music complex. Case in point: Cof. That statement is your own downfall.
Emperor's music is complex partially in the way it is constructed and partially from riff's themselves. Mayhem may have a 'hardcore' bm sound, but their music lacks atmosphere. Meaning many of their tracks sound stale.

see this link for a better critique of Emperor:
http://www.anus.com/metal/emperor.html

A fair and objective analysis of the band. It's definitely not Emperor fanboyism, as Serial Killer tries to imply with those that may even merely like Emperor.

Emperor is mainstream. Mainstream = Fanboys. Fanboys = Stereotypes for people who prefer mainstream band over everything else. Thus i've come to the conclusion that liking a band that is mainstream means you're bound to be thrown in the stereotype. Such as in opeth and emperor cases is usually that you're new to metal or extreme metal. For a majority this can be true, but not for all. which explains gR. That's fine. Just advice for gR: don't bother when people make derragatory comments. It's all the mainstream stereotype. In metal when a band becomes pretty popular there will be people who stereotype the fanbase because a majority is fanboys or sometimes newbies who have just cracked the surface of metal. Doesn't automatically mean you are. Just in the eyes of others.

But it's a case by case things so my theory may be wrong in everyway.

Yeah, they are so mainstream since they came to America and went on before Soilwork and In Flames. It was so cool. Give me a godamned breaK!!!! They may be the "mainstream" of "underground" music but still 95% of music "fans" dont know who they are. Sure you see some Emperor shirts at a Slipknot concert but I bet its maybe one or two. Emperor are just one of many great BM bands. People need to quit making them out to be the next (or best) great thing because the most "mainstream" sees are the In Flames and Soilworks of the genre. Metal (black and death metal especially) is still very much in the underground right now whether people realize (or admit) it or not. Just remeber the only "fanboys" are the ones visting boards like this.

ShadowOfDeath said:
Thus i've come to the conclusion that liking a band that is mainstream means you're bound to be thrown in the stereotype. Such as in opeth and emperor cases is usually that you're new to metal or extreme metal.
This is the most sense you've ever made. The rest however, was standard drivel.

The word 'mainstream' gets throw around a lot, and considering its negative connotations, I think it's unfair to call a band like Emperor or Opeth 'mainstream'. They're simply popular in their particular genre because they're more accessible. This accessibility is not from simplifying or watering-down any element of their style of music, but simply that they include an element that more people can relate to, for example in Opeth's case, progressive rock.

You're a moron if you think Emperor or even Opeth are "mainstream". They are popular acts in metal, but that doesn't mean you'll see them on TRL.

genocide roach said:
ok, now this bugs me. how can you say only their first cd was black metal? this whole trve black metal crap is idiotic
~gR~
It doesn't really matter anyways, I like their other CDs just as much, if not more, than In the Nightside Eclipse, which is completely ruined by the production. The riffage, production, and overall sound on their other CDs (especially Prometheus) is not exactly black metal, it is more like extreme symphonic metal in the vein of Bal Sagoth (who kick ass).

I'm not even going to ask for an elaboration on "Millenium Metal."

And when someone says something like "are you fucking clowns denyng emperors greatness," then how can one possibly expect us to take them as anything short of a mindless fanboy with substandard typing abilities? Not everyone thinks Emperor is great (I sure as hell don't, and never did), some people just have to come to terms with the fact that not everyone is going to agree with them, and that bitching and whining in response is not the way to go about doing things.

Life Sucks said:
It doesn't really matter anyways, I like their other CDs just as much, if not more, than In the Nightside Eclipse, which is completely ruined by the production. The riffage, production, and overall sound on their other CDs (especially Prometheus) is not exactly black metal, it is more like extreme symphonic metal in the vein of Bal Sagoth (who kick ass).
i guess i dont understand the idea that good production and complex riffing is not black metal. i think it has todo more with the overall sound and mood. i know that black metal wanted to get away from the complexity of death metal, but i think plenty of bands have proven that you can still have complexity and keep the BM vibe.
~gR~

There is a bunch of black metal bands I'd rather listen to then Emperor, not that they're terrible or anything. Just not that interesting.

serial killer said:
oh shit where to start? C.o.F., 1349, diessection, dimmu borger, hypocraciy, mental horror, ravencult, venom, old man's child etc. you want me to go on my knowlage of metal far surpasses yours I was headbangin to metallica probally when you were still shitin' in your huggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :worship: I AM THE METAL GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all I find your implication to be an old school metalhead to be rather unlikely. You come off sounding more like a spoiled "know it all" 14 year old kid griping at his parents yelling 'you're not the boss of me" and stamping his feet petulantly. The thought of someone who's pushing 40, as I am, acting in such a manner is very unsettling.
Furthermore as previously stated you just joined recently. So how the hell can you be so fed up with "all" of these supposed Emperor posts? Either you have an extremely low tolerance to things that irritate you or you're completely full of shit. I'm leaning towards the latter hypothesis.
If you don't like it here than leave. Plain and simple. Nobody is holding a loaded gun to your head and making you visit these forums. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

On the matter of Emperor on the other hand I have to say they are one of my favorites. And my metal collection, black metal included, is rather extensive. So them being "popular" or not doesn't matter worth a damn. That is, of coarse, just my personal opinion. If anyone doesn't share my fondness of that band then so what? Whatever floats your boat.

So what if they are popular? so what if they are mainstream? If you think that you are cool because you are "very underground" by hating them, then you are retarded. This post goes to everyone who thinks emperor sucks because they are popular.

ShroudOfDusk said:
This is the most sense you've ever made. The rest however, was standard drivel.

The word 'mainstream' gets throw around a lot, and considering its negative connotations, I think it's unfair to call a band like Emperor or Opeth 'mainstream'. They're simply popular in their particular genre because they're more accessible. This accessibility is not from simplifying or watering-down any element of their style of music, but simply that they include an element that more people can relate to, for example in Opeth's case, progressive rock.

True, but i see "mainstream" as well known. Emperor and Opeth still aren't well known to everyone but a lot of people into metal if not most know who they are. It definately isn'tthe fact they water-down their music. It's more that their complex elements turn on a lot of people. Like i was saying about gR's comment. Some people like more complex elements in music, thus emperor and opeth will be popular because both bands are pretty complex.

As for the emperor t-shirts at a slipknot show, could be right. This year when i went to ozzfest i saw someone with a Burzum - "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" t-shirt. Of course it seems logical to see people like that when bands like slayer, judas priest, and black sabbath are taking the mainstage. Hell even dimmu borgir would make sense you'd see burzum shirts.

A: Emperor rules!!!
B: No man, Emperor sucks!!!
A: dude, WTF?!?! you just dont have mental cpacity to understand Emperor's genius!!!
B: No man, your gay!

Sorry everyone, if I'd been here I'd have locked it a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.