what the fuck is this forum comming too

Hopefully an even greater maturity and respect between members and a shitload more learning.

Could a "rate my non metal mix" subforum fit in around here?
Personally I think that there is alot of knowledge to be gained if we broaden the spectrum abit. It might help to keep it fresh too.
Otherewise, maybe we could just use the current rate my mix section and not limit it to metal as much as it has been in the past.

+1

Destroy the 'Production Tips' and 'Sabbat' forums and in their place add 'Hobbyist' and 'Pro Audio' sub sections. The main forum can still be general discussion for intermingling between the two. Have the pro-audio section heavily moderated.

That's a really good idea. However, I don't see why the 'Sabbat' forum has to go. C'mon, it's his band. :rolleyes:

Well the last post was in June, and there is rarely ever any news on that front. I hardly think it warrants its own forum sub-section. Any Sabbat news updates can just be crammed as stickies into the general forum, right? But anyway it's Andy's forum, so his call.

We were all knew guys once, wanting to get to know the regs, and because the regs were willing to take the time to talk to me on MSN, and answer my questions and offer advice on the forum, i now feel like a part of this community, and I'd say it's only fair we offer that same courtesy to the NEW new guys (i've only been here a year so I'm as good as a new guy, but meh)
I agree. Like it or not, some of us are going to stick around for a long time. We are the future of this place. It is in every member's best interest to let us in. You don't have to go out of your way or anything, just don't scare us off. You think this place is stagnant now? Just wait and see what happens when registrations dip too low for a few months. Some members that were just getting into it will probably leave, and older members will be less active. As old member's interest in the community dwindles, new members are less inclined to stick around. These events start a positive feedback loop. The longer the period of stagnation, the harder it gets to recover. Eventually everything just snowballs.

The worst thing you can do at this point is cause drama. Drama destroys forums, especially ones that are entering a transition phase. I haven't seen too much drama yet, but this thread is a bit more dramatic than what I recognize as the norm for this forum. You guys seem like a pretty mature bunch though. If this drama, then it's extraordinarily reserved drama. I can see it potentially getting worse though. It's something to monitor.

Adding more subforums is only gonna increase this void that's causing so much ballache.
This has been my experience. Adding more sub-forums isn't going to make new members want to post more, isn't going to make navigating the forums easier, and will only segregate groups of members from each other.

Adding too many sub-forums promotes elitism by group isolation. A respected member in one sub-forum can't get a word in on another. It can get to the point where it starts seeming less like a single community and more like a several rivaling neighbor communities. It also leaves more that has to be distinguished, which is great when your member base is mostly dealing with several very specific and fundamentally-differing topic ranges... but as someone already said, most posters don't know what they're looking for when they log in. A wall of sub-forums is often confusing and disorienting, even to members who can navigate them. It's easier for posters to find a topic that captures his or her interest when there are fewer, more generalized sub-forums. I think that it's better to have a few generalized sub-forums that cover everything by generic implication than it is to have a bunch of specialized sub-forums that cover everything by specific indication. Inclusive is good, exclusive is bad.

Organizing the existing sub-forums in a more intuitive manner sounds like a good compromise right now.

I'm not just talking out of my ass here. I've seen this shit go down time after time after time. Individual members are difficult to predict and the new member base is always a toss up(as it always should be), but groups of members are very predictable. I'm no expert by any means. I'm just sharing what I have learned from my experiences with message boards. I like this place, and I don't want to see it go to shit.

But anyway it's Andy's forum, so his call.

Personally for me - that one comment says it all. Instead of everyone talking about what they like and why they think others are not coming here anymore - how about some thoughts from the man with his name on the forum.

We can speculate all day about the reasons for some of the folks not hanging out here, but until one of them posts their reasons, it's pure speculation.

I understand all the personal reasons for wanting the forum to be what each and everyone posting here wants it to be, but ultimately desires are like opinions and we know the saying about those things. Speculating is as good as guessing, facts are a little more solid.

...wait and see what happens when registrations dip too low for a few months. Some members that were just getting into it will probably leave, and older members will be less active. As old member's interest in the community dwindles, new members are less inclined to stick around. .

and eventually we'll be back to where it started...a few regulars making a total of 2-5 meaningful posts a day...people like Andy and James reading every topic and replying if they've got time.....
yeah, I can't see why anyone would want that o_O

everyone (well actuallly mostly the new members) speak of a transition every forum goes through or a "forum-puberty" or so, and if we don accept the change it won't happen...that's where you're losing me....we DON't WANT that "transition" to happen!
what's so bad about a small forum with a good quality/posts ratio?

Destroy the 'Production Tips' and 'Sabbat' forums and in their place add 'Hobbyist' and 'Pro Audio' sub sections. The main forum can still be general discussion for intermingling between the two. Have the pro-audio section heavily moderated.

Sounds good. What about the Rate my mix/tone section? It's a good idea to keep "rate my mix" threads seperate from the general discussions, hobbyist or pro. Yet they can't be grouped together like they are now.

I'm just going to make my own forum. It will be private! Only I can post and reply. Some people will get special access to view my posts. Said posts will be encrypted.

Isn't it too late? Short of a massive ban campaign, I don't see how things are going to change. Meh, I still love this place regardless of the silly shit. (That I'm very much a part of) I pretty much post in the "Off-Topic Tavern". Read the rest with an occasional reply and or a thank you.

If you want to check someone's mix you have to sift through all the random "guitar tone test" or similar threads. If you want to listen to some peers' mixes you have to filter all the "first recording" or "why does my mix/tone suck". I'm not saying these threads are bad or anything, I've been there myself but I feel it will beneficial to seperate the main types of rate my mix threads.
Edit: Also, there can be one about songs/song ideas rather than mix/tone

I don't know that a banning/ culling is the right thing.
Maybe there just needs to be a reminder to some of the new/ unexperienced members as to what sort of talent lies within the forum; people who continue to push themselves, learn and share their experience, who actually LISTEN to other mixes and use their own experince from that listening to create their own great mixes.

In a nutshell: use what you have access to, but never stop learning and use your ears to mix, not your eyes.
I think that is what alot of the older regulars are getting most annoyed by.

and eventually we'll be back to where it started...a few regulars making a total of 2-5 meaningful posts a day...people like Andy and James reading every topic and replying if they've got time.....
yeah, I can't see why anyone would want that o_O
Well everyone would want that, but that's exactly why things never stay that way. I'd rather see a solution presented that's more long-term and doesn't involve shunning most of the members here. This forum just can't go back to that small size right now. It could happen in the distant future, but it's definitely not gonna happen any time soon.

everyone (well actuallly mostly the new members) speak of a transition every forum goes through or a "forum-puberty" or so, and if we don accept the change it won't happen...that's where you're losing me....we DON't WANT that "transition" to happen!
what's so bad about a small forum with a good quality/posts ratio?
Lol, I kinda went on a tangent there. I meant to say that things will even out after a while. It won't be as small of a forum, but the quality/# of posts ratio will improve and ideally the member base won't grow much for a while at that point.

The whole forum-puberty thing was an admittedly bad reference to the cycle that forums go through. Right now it's growing, it's awkward, and things are changing quickly. That was all I really meant by that. I'm just trying to put a more optimistic spin on things.

Personally for me - that one comment says it all. Instead of everyone talking about what they like and why they think others are not coming here anymore - how about some thoughts from the man with his name on the forum.

We can speculate all day about the reasons for some of the folks not hanging out here, but until one of them posts their reasons, it's pure speculation.

I understand all the personal reasons for wanting the forum to be what each and everyone posting here wants it to be, but ultimately desires are like opinions and we know the saying about those things. Speculating is as good as guessing, facts are a little more solid.
I couldn't agree more. I'd love to hear what Andy thinks about the issue, but he's a busy guy. This is obviously something we want to get past and I don't think anybody wanted to wait for Andy to jump in. I mean, he might not do anything. What will we do then? This is better than nothing if only by a little bit.

speaking of......are you a girl?
I mean....ah, there was one post I thought you might be and one post that made me hope you'd be a girl ;)
yea i was hoping u'd be a girl too, so i can nail u in the studio while asking for mixing tips.

break the Rate my mix/tone into these :
Rate my Mix
Rate my Song
Tone Tests

+1

i think that we need some moderators to delete all the post like :
WAT IS IMPULSES?
what is ratio on a compressor?
how do sound like sneap with my pod?
why dont i sound like sneap using his c4 preset?

i think it would be great to have
a BIG STICKY with all the basic information about recording:
impulses
amp sims
DI
reamp
compressors
etc
like the tutorial thread but more like a WIKISNEAP

I've been reading this forum since 2005 and honestly don't think it's that big difference in quality versus the old times. I don't get it how you guys can make it a 8 page long thread, things are not that bad imo