what the fuck to do with my life plz

I was reading some excerpts from that just released Steve Jobs book. I am not a Mac person at all but I am always fascinated by larger than life characters who create things that change the world.

Anyway, he seemed like a real prick from the things I read but one thing he said stuck with me ... something along the lines of:
"you are born alone and you die alone ... so in between do something that matters and not worry too much about others as they won't be there in the end"

Like you'll live to retirement (I'll cry when you die though)

Haha, trust me, every time I look at my pay-stub and see my deductions for my retirement plans I think this exact thought. It'll be a fahkin' miracle if I live too the point where I can even take out my 401K (59 1/2 years old to start using it with no penalties. Yea fuckin' right).

But my current company matches at 5% so I just put 5% of my paycheck in currently, not to much really so I just ignore the money and pretend it never was in my paycheck to begin with and move on with my day, haha.

Full Metal Office Space.

Like you'll live to retirement (I'll cry when you die though)

Exactly that. Does you work have anything to do with your education?

Well, I do use what I learned at school/university to some degree. I know how to apply my knowledge and the experience of solving problems can be applied at work as well. As far as doing exactly what I studied at uni - no.

What I like most about work is to solve problems and most of my workmates. What I do not like is the chaos and confusion of being part of a multinational company where different cultures and ways of doing things clash. It is an endless struggle I tell you.

Well, I do use what I learned at school/university to some degree. I know how to apply my knowledge and the experience of solving problems can be applied at work as well. As far as doing exactly what I studied at uni - no.

What I like most about work is to solve problems and most of my workmates. What I do not like is the chaos and confusion of being part of a multinational company where different cultures and ways of doing things clash. It is an endless struggle I tell you.
Most likely you'd be just as good at your job if you had spent your university years there instead, right? That probably applies to most, at least.

I just ignore the money and pretend it never was in my paycheck to begin with and move on with my day, haha.
This is the shit. The important figure no the paycheck is what I get to spend on bitches, booze and bullet belts (well or diapers, gas and insurances more likely) and not the other bullshit. If the other bullshit is good in the long run anyway, then wohoo.

Most likely you'd be just as good at your job if you had spent your university years there instead, right? That probably applies to most, at least.

This is the shit. The important figure no the paycheck is what I get to spend on bitches, booze and bullet belts (well or diapers, gas and insurances more likely) and not the other bullshit. If the other bullshit is good in the long run anyway, then wohoo.

The thing is, what kind of education I have DOES affect how much they pay me. People doing the same type of work that have a lesser education, or that are younger than me earn less. This is how it works in many parts of corporate Sweden I think. I think I would have had a harder time getting my job if it wasn't for my 4.5+ years at university.

let me throw a question out there

does anyone consider getting a college degree worth it solely for the experience and/or the learning? or has it all been about "i need to acquire this piece of paper so i can show it to potential employers" to you?

It's the former for me.

I work in a field where a degree is a legal requirement. Or well, the license is a legal requirement but you have to have the education to sit for the exam to get the license.
I'm currently working on my masters which is a legal requirement for advanced practice and by 2015, entry into advanced practice will require a PhD. Blah blah who cares dorian?
I just wanted to point out there are major differences among fields of employment.

The thing is, what kind of education I have DOES affect how much they pay me. People doing the same type of work that have a lesser education, or that are younger than me earn less. This is how it works in many parts of corporate Sweden I think. I think I would have had a harder time getting my job if it wasn't for my 4.5+ years at university.
Very well aware of that, and you're right and have chosen the clever path imo, but still - do you think you'd be as good at what you're doing if you had done it for 4.5+ years more? And if you had the same pay (or well, even with worse pay without student loans) instead of living of loans, how much would that be in $$$?

Studying is good shit for lots of reasons, but I don't think it's really necessary for most jobs. Working teaches you more.

let me throw a question out there

does anyone consider getting a college degree worth it solely for the experience and/or the learning? or has it all been about "i need to acquire this piece of paper so i can show it to potential employers" to you?

The former is much more likely in something like Computer Science. I primarily learned programming in my degree, and now I am a programmer, so yes, it was a good, worthwhile learning experience. Even if you already know how to code, you're still bound to learn a lot on a good degree course.

I did my first degree in some shitty subject, decided I wanted nothing to do with it, went back to University at 23 and studied Computer Science. I've been working as a programmer the last year. It pays pretty well, I spend most of my time not having to speak to anyone, my workplace lets me put my headphones on all day if I want, and I find the work genuinely interesting, challenging and enjoyable. That's not to say I don't wake up every fucking day not wanting to go to work, but on the whole I'm happy with it.

That's not to say I don't wake up every fucking day not wanting to go to work

this is what scares me about going back to work for someone and keeps me most motivated with the business.
i hated that feeling so bad when I was working at some jobs.

that being said the best job I ever had was for 2 years that I worked at a non-profit for paralyzed veterans. best freaking time of my life ... learned so much, made good money and made a lot of friends that I still keep in touch with today.
and when a guy in a wheelchair drove 2 hrs to get to work every day, any excuse of me not making it in was rubbish.

I didn't read the whole thread... only the initial post and a few subsequent comments, so I'm not sure what's been said already.

Ultimately what you want, is to make more money. Seems obvious, and I don't expect I'm telling you anything you don't know. However, it doesn't come without sacrifice or luck. So, if you want to make more money, you have a few options...

1. Go back to school
2. Get a job where you have to take a step back, but where you can ultimately build towards something bigger
3. Start you own business

The reality is, the things you find frustrating at 26, will make you miserable at 36 and 46. You're still young, and have plenty of time to right your course. Much like you wish someone would have impressed upon you the value of taking your late teens more seriously, now is the time to take your late twenties more seriously. Make a change, sacrifice, and get on the path you want to be on.

The only other option is, to learn to be happy with less. There have been a lot of stories in the news, especially with the downturn in the economy, about people carving out a life for themselves on very, very little money. However, I'm not sure you're that type of person. I know I'm not.

yeah, I meant to amend that statement but I was eating at the time and couldn't be bothered

Erik my only question is: do you listen to Neurosis? You should start if not. There is clarity there.

Otherwise I'd say Tully has it right. Most of us are too big of pussies to do it though.

Personally, I found a career I love and joined enough bands to deafen myself with until I die. Seems to work. Observe my unabashed level of happiness:

suckit.jpg

Oh wait that's the wine. Okay I'll go read the whole thread now. :zombie:

AAhhh...look at that wedding band. The key to the NAD's abandonment.

I see all these NAD posts and I knew he must have been A) at least half in the bag, B) bored out of his fucking mind, C) wifey not home, D) ABC

wtf, you look like Demilich now .. hahaha

but yeah, money rules ... I am the biggest non-jew jew now. i want to charge people for everything.