What tuners do you guys use?

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
What tuners do you guys use for your studio? Do you just use software or something like a Peterson Strobe tuner? How about the Korg Pitch Black rackmount tuner? I need something that is really going to pick up low notes on my 8 string guitar and accurate.

I also have another question about tuning. What do you guys consider in tune? For me it is sharp the on the pick attack then it goes right in tune and then it goes flat at the end. Do you consider this in tune or do you make sure it's in tune right on the pick attack? Or do you just tune to how the part is played? The lower the not is the harder it is for me to tune so what do you guys do?

For hardware (live guitar rig) I use a Korg DTR.

For recording I always just use the stock tuner in Reaper. It's just one less thing to get in the way of the signal chain and super easy to just keep it on the track and enable it when needed. Seems to introduce some artifacts/crackles/popping when it's left on.

And as far as "in tune", I normally tune it to where it reads good for the longest. So if the attack goes sharp a wee bit, then it stays in the green for 5 seconds before dropping, I'll usually leave it there.

Physical, I use a polytune, but I am not sure this is actually the best out there, I just thought I had to try it.

Software, I use the reaper one, or a little app called insTuner which I can call quickly. Then I just drone the low note once I know it's correct and use my ears to tune the other strings to this one, at relatively high volume so I can hear and feel the notes going in harmony if that makes sense, together with a combination of harmonics. It's way faster than reading a screen. I don't know if I tune to the pick attack, I guess I don't, but if it sounds off when playing hard palm mute parts I would probably just tune it until I feel it's right.

I use a Peterson Stomp Classic which in my opinion is the best tuner I have used so far and it also comes with sweetened tuning presets which work really well.

I got a Korg Pitch Black Rack not so long ago. Pretty good, very clear and was reasonably priced. I have the stompbox version as well.

I got a Korg Pitch Black Rack not so long ago. Pretty good, very clear and was reasonably priced. I have the stompbox version as well.
Are they still using plastic rack ears?I looked at an early version and it was all plastic,felt very flimsy.

for standard guitar basically ANY tuner will work.

for lower tuned guitars/bass most cheap tuners do NOT work, the deep notes are not "tracked" correctly thats absolutely true.

i am using the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200 it's fast as hell and can also track very very low notes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah our bassist has the Pitch Black and it has a hard time even tracking his low C in Drop C tuning.

This is why I really enjoy Reapers stock tuner - you can change the "Window Size", I think it's called, which helps it track lower notes.

Yes, you can increase it to something like 50,100, or 200 (ms I think it is ?) and play with the oversampling x2, 4 or 8 which I believe make it work more to track on the same window with a higher refresh rate. I like to usually increase the window because the original setting is too fast for my liking and makes me feel like I'm never in tune !

Anyway, simple trick for any tuner, just play the 12th fret harmonic an octave up, makes it easy for any tuner to track and it's also easier for the ear. I usually check several harmonics before I'm satisfied anyway. There is a handful of them matching the other strings notes so they help a lot into checking your overall tuning in a couple seconds !

I remember the one in pod farm being not too bad indeed for what it's worth. for some time I was running pod farm only for that !

I'm using two Android apps (for the sake of comfort really, having the same tuner handy all the time), GuitarTuna (only E standard in the free version, 4.7 rating and does the job ok), and for finer tuning, gStrings (tunes anything, 4.8/4.5 rating, even the free version is totally capable; the display is good for a tuner, but it picks up absolutely every noise, so not good for tuning when there's some noise going on around. GuitarTuna is much better for that).
After using a tuner I use my ears to compare the strings obviously.

I also have another question about tuning. What do you guys consider in tune? For me it is sharp the on the pick attack then it goes right in tune and then it goes flat at the end. Do you consider this in tune or do you make sure it's in tune right on the pick attack? Or do you just tune to how the part is played? The lower the not is the harder it is for me to tune so what do you guys do?

I'm using thicker strings not only to get more sound out of the instrument, but to minimize that difference you're talking about. I always tune a bit sharp, to me it sounds more 'in tune' specially for the decay of the note, and also because I know the string is probably going to re-accommodate from the edges as it gets played, anyway (despite bending it to make the string sit, re-tuning it several times, etc).
I don't have an evertune, does someone know if that happens with those bridges as well? (string adjusting itself from the edges/flattening as it gets played and bent, specially when new)

I'm using thicker strings not only to get more sound out of the instrument, but to minimize that difference you're talking about. I always tune a bit sharp, to me it sounds more 'in tune' specially for the decay of the note, and also because I know the string is probably going to re-accommodate from the edges as it gets played, anyway (despite bending it to make the string sit, re-tuning it several times, etc).
I don't have an evertune, does someone know if that happens with those bridges as well? (string adjusting itself from the edges/flattening as it gets played and bent, specially when new)

Hmm... you tune SHARP to avoid going out of tune while playing? I always have to tune flat because picking the string pulls it sharp.

As for the Evertune, it removes that aspect from the equation. You can pick as hard/soft as you want - it's staying in tune.

Hmm... you tune SHARP to avoid going out of tune while playing? I always have to tune flat because picking the string pulls it sharp.

Yes, sharp as in a little bit above the centered tuner needle.. I'm not sure I understand how a string can go up (pick up more tension) as you play it?.. perhaps I'm not understanding you right.

Ime all (regular) bridge systems/unlocked tuning heads tend to let the string lose some tension overtime, as you keep playing the string and the string readjusts somewhat.