what was the first ever death metal song you listened to?

It's interesting how a lot of people (me included) discover burtal death metal and get to like it after progressing through different genres first.

e.g. Traditional (Maiden, etc.) or Nu for many people it seems

then melodic death (in flames, arch enemy, whatever)

then more brutal stuff (cryptopsy, etc.)

Intreeging! (<-- *have no clue how to spell that word! :lol:*)

Issit intriguing? I progressed through:

Punkrock (for instance Millencolin, NOFX, early Offspring, No Fun At All, Satanic Surfers, things that were popular in the mid-90s)

Hardcore, where I learned to love brutal vocals at the tender age of 12 (twas in 1998), when I listened to bands such as Refused (who use screaming vocals), Breach (who use more death metal-vocals) and Raised Fist.

Black metal

Brutal death metal (Never liked melodeath, in fact I pretty much hate it)

I still love all of the abovementioned genres.

henrikmain said:
Issit intriguing? I progressed through:

Punkrock (for instance Millencolin, NOFX, early Offspring, No Fun At All, Satanic Surfers, things that were popular in the mid-90s)

Hardcore, where I learned to love brutal vocals at the tender age of 12 (twas in 1998), when I listened to bands such as Refused (who use screaming vocals), Breach (who use more death metal-vocals) and Raised Fist.

Black metal

Brutal death metal (Never liked melodeath, in fact I pretty much hate it)

I still love all of the abovementioned genres.

Well i started with Maiden when i was a young lad and progressed to more Extreme stuff as i got older dabbling in Punk and even some Psychobilly along the way :)

Mine... i think it was Cannibal Corpse... i can't remember wich song or from what album. But i remember i hated it.. at first i thought death metal was a huge pile of noise-shit.

Now i love it and i can't get enough of it

depends on how you define death. If it's melodic death, then I remember perfectly, twas In Flames - Episode 666

If we're talking brutal death, I cannae remember, but I think it was probably Morbid Angel - God of Emptiness or At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Very first ever would have to be either Possessed-The Exorcist or Death-Zombie Ritual. Can't remember which one I heard first. That was quite a while ago. With more "traditional" death metal it would be Sepultura-Morbid Visions then Deicide-Lunatic of God's Creation.

i guess the first DM song i heard was also hammered smashed face by CC, cuz its on the first ace ventura movie. but i didnt know or really pay attention to it back then cuz i was hella young.

the first DM song i actually listened to was the first track off extol's album undecieved. i believe that is inferno.
~gR~

DrillSergeant said:
In this order:
Slayer - Angel Of Death
Sepultura - Inner Self
Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites
Decide for yourself where you draw the line between Thrash and Death

Well Death metal grew out of Thrash didn't it?