What you like in Opeth's music..

Inconium Guard said:
A better question would be, what don't I like about Opeth?

And that, I can answer:

Nothing, as far as I can tell. There is really nothing that I don't like about them...the songwriting is superb (as are the riffs!), Mike's singing is incredible, the balance of light and heavy, and the sheer experience of listening to one of their albums in its entirety has no peer (except Tool, which I believe comes close)...Anyway Opeth, not to try and sound cliched, is simply a brilliant band that draws its energy from a place that hardly anyone else can understand.

of all the amazing bands out, there i find it interesting you choose tool to compete with opeth, whom i think pale in comparison anyway.

NineFeetUnderground said:
of all the amazing bands out, there i find it interesting you choose tool to compete with opeth, whom i think pale in comparison anyway.

Think whatever you wish.

I apologize, I'm not very into the underground scene, so I picked a relatively popular band that I really like, and its not competition at all, I highly respect both band's music. But I have seen Tool live, and wow.

i've seen tool live too :headbang:
people shouldn't be too quick to dismiss more mainstream bands; there are a few out there worthy of respect and tool is one of them

cthulufhtagn said:
i've seen tool live too :headbang:
people shouldn't be too quick to dismiss more mainstream bands; there are a few out there worthy of respect and tool is one of them

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I think alot of people dismiss great popular bands, thinking that since its popular, it might be too accessible, and thus are too bland...Might they be popular because, well, they are actually *good*?

I think Opeth deserves to be more popular than they are, but I realize that in order to be more popular, they have to change certain things about themselves that make them one of the best bands in the world. Therefore, we just have to hope they keep making choices that are good for the band, that's it.

Inconium Guard said:
I think Opeth deserves to be more popular than they are, but I realize that in order to be more popular, they have to change certain things about themselves that make them one of the best bands in the world. Therefore, we just have to hope they keep making choices that are good for the band, that's it.

"Change certain things about themselves"? Like what, tailor their music to make it more accessable so they can become popular? I'm not sure if it would be a good thing if they made some choices to change their sound as you suggest... in fact I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be.. especially not for your "to become more popular" reason, they would lose their integrity and become stale in my opinion, and their interesting approch to metal is what I happen to enjoy about their music. Any changes are bad, however a natural evolvution or gradual shift of style would be a bit more acceptable and possibly even applaudable...

Tyrmthaais said:
"Change certain things about themselves"? Like what, tailor their music to make it more accessable so they can become popular? I'm not sure if it would be a good thing if they made some choices to change their sound as you suggest... in fact I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be.. especially not for your "to become more popular" reason, they would lose their integrity and become stale in my opinion, and their interesting approch to metal is what I happen to enjoy about their music. Any changes are bad, however a natural evolvution or gradual shift of style would be a bit more acceptable and possibly even applaudable...

no no no I didn't say they *should* change things about themselves! I said that in order to become really popular (as in mainstream music popular), they would have to change the way they write songs.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I think they should become mainstream at all, I'm sorry I didn't clarify that. I think Opeth are perfect the way they are. But I would love to hear them evolve, but I don't think they should do anything that would involve comprimising their integrity as a band.

The sheer variety of beautiful textures, many of which take repeated listens to pick up on. Llike Radiohead's OK Computer or Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, only Opeth have managed to do it album after album. Mike's boundless creativity is really quite unmatched in metal. Here's hoping the well doesn't run dry for the next disc.

Inconium Guard said:
Think whatever you wish.

I apologize, I'm not very into the underground scene, so I picked a relatively popular band that I really like, and its not competition at all, I highly respect both band's music. But I have seen Tool live, and wow.
cthulufhtagn said:
people shouldn't be too quick to dismiss more mainstream bands; there are a few out there worthy of respect and tool is one of them.
First of all guys, i wasnt saying anything bad about tool in the slightest, and i think people shouldnt be so quick to assume that i only like underground or unpopular music...when the contrary is actually true. 4 out of 5 of my favorite bands are quite mainstream and well known.

I too have seen Tool live, and i think theyre a very important rock band for this day and age (perhaps any age, the future will tell), and i respect them heavily for what theyve done.

i was simply saying, for all the great music thats out there (popular OR unknown), you felt tool was the only peer that could stand up to opeth, and i just disagreed entirely because youre forgetting dozens and dozens of bands which are better than Tool, let alone Opeth....i just thought keeping things fair and in perspective was in order.

First of all guys, i wasnt saying anything bad about tool in the slightest, and i think people shouldnt be so quick to assume that i only like underground or unpopular music...when the contrary is actually true. 4 out of 5 of my favorite bands are quite mainstream and well known.

I too have seen Tool live, and i think theyre a very important rock band for this day and age (perhaps any age, the future will tell), and i respect them heavily for what theyve done.

i was simply saying, for all the great music thats out there (popular OR unknown), you felt tool was the only peer that could stand up to opeth, and i just disagreed entirely because youre forgetting dozens and dozens of bands which are better than Tool, let alone Opeth....i just thought keeping things fair and in perspective was in order.
Out of curiosity, name some bands that YOU think are better than Opeth...I want to know where you are coming from. :)

Yes. I agree with most of you. But, for me it's a little different. It's because of the Brutal + Mellow, and that makes the music fuller. Gives it diversity and it is not boring, like most music that is on one level to me. Most rock is just on one level, the same tempo, boring music. Anyway, Opeth is not really riff related for me, but certain riffs are ridiculous and really get me going. With some original sounding riffs that really catch my fancy, sometimes it makes me want to play guitar. Opeth is drum related to me. Martin Lopez is unbelievable, he makes the songs so full, his style is unique. His style is full of ghost notes, blinding speed, combinations between cymbals, toms. I just love the way he plays. He's one of my drumming idols, and he's my favorite drummer next to Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), I really don't know which one I like more, and I hate comparing. But Opeth's music is so great because of all the different influences each member brings to the band. It all blends together, and with Death Metal as the foundation for all of the styles combined, each album is one hell of a ride, and not only the first time.

Darfus.

Well I understand what you're saying, and I do agree with you. It's technically just an issue of musical taste, so I won't tell anyone that "my band is better than theirs" or whatnot. A band's influence can only be measured with time, so like you said, time will tell just how important any band will become. Aside from that, I think it's very important to just take the band as they are in the present, and enjoy the music they make, regardless of anything else.

Opeth is an excellent band, definitely one of my favorites, and so it Tool, IMO. Sure, there may be "better" bands out there, but how "better" is defined is the real trick of the matter. No bands I know of give me the same feeling as I get when I listen to the bands that I love, so to me personally, they are the greatest.

By the way I really appreciate everyone talking about this sort of stuff respectfully, it makes me glad to be a part of these boards.

Originally it was as simple as being in awe of the riffage on a couple songs when I first heard them a few years ago. Eventually I got into some more of their stuff and started to aprecciate the dynamics, the songwriting, etc. etc.

And, while I agree that one of Opeth's main draws is the combination of Death Metal and mellow/acoustic passages, what really makes it is their ability to put it all together and make both the brutal and the beautiful excellent.

Also, it seems I'm one of the few people who don't like Tool. :erk:

Surprisingly, I'm yet to see the anti-Tool bandwagon hop on this board to assault the this thread.

I'll skip the whole, 'OMG I LOVE OPETH BECUZ OF THEIR BRUTAL AND DYNAMIC MUSIC' shpeel to save time, and the eyes of anyone reading.

But I will say that Mikael is one sexy beast.

Inconium Guard said:
Well I understand what you're saying, and I do agree with you. It's technically just an issue of musical taste, so I won't tell anyone that "my band is better than theirs" or whatnot. A band's influence can only be measured with time, so like you said, time will tell just how important any band will become. Aside from that, I think it's very important to just take the band as they are in the present, and enjoy the music they make, regardless of anything else.

Opeth is an excellent band, definitely one of my favorites, and so it Tool, IMO. Sure, there may be "better" bands out there, but how "better" is defined is the real trick of the matter. No bands I know of give me the same feeling as I get when I listen to the bands that I love, so to me personally, they are the greatest.

By the way I really appreciate everyone talking about this sort of stuff respectfully, it makes me glad to be a part of these boards.
And dont get me wrong, i understand tool is your band of choice and your favorite, so obviously youre not going to feel the same way i do, which is perfectly understandable. I guess im just coming from a place of wanting people to expose themselves to as much music as possible...since i never like being in the dark to amazing music. And i just know for a fact that the buck doesnt stop with Tool...which i guess is my reasoning for commenting in the first place.