What band influenced Opeth the most?

This is a very hard question, because they are so unlike any other band, but I will have to say Black Sabbath, because I hear so much of early Sabbath's music in Opeth.

What I think…

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson
Black Sabbath
Nick Drake
Morbid Angel
Pink Floyd
Death
Yngwie Malmsteen

And countless other bands… like the obscure Blackwater Park for obvious reasons….

if you were to ask the band they would tell you the answer is camel. but as you've said, they're hard to pin down. the closest direct influence that I can see is like you've said, sabbath. meh, it's all good! ^_^

I think possibly Sabbath as well..not only in music. If you look at their band shots and their attire..It's very reminiscent of Sabbath shots in the 70's. I often think that Peter kinda looks a bit like the young Ozzy Osbourne in the way he dresses in those flares and brown leather jacket (Look at blackwater park= pretty black sabbath like). I love the look! I wasn't fortunate to be around in the seventies so I'm hoping that there will be a bit of a return. In some scenes anyway

Just some visual comparison..

opeth-still-life-cover.jpg

Kinda reminds me of...
sab1b.jpg

I grew up on Sabbath, and my favourite song was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath..what made it my favourite is the beautiful jazzy clean bit, mixed with the agression and brutality of the heavy bits (particularly at the end) hmm does that remind you of anyone?

When I listen to Opeth I think of Rush on drugs. I've never heard of Rush being an influence on Opeth but they sound like they could be. Maybe I hear that just because 70's progressive music is one of their biggest influences and Rush was part of the scene.

Rejvk said:
I grew up on Sabbath, and my favourite song was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath..what made it my favourite is the beautiful jazzy clean bit, mixed with the agression and brutality of the heavy bits (particularly at the end) hmm does that remind you of anyone?
How about the end of Symptom of the Universe?

Anyways I would say, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Death,Camel

alan3827 said:
How about the end of Symptom of the Universe?

Anyways I would say, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Death,Camel
Yea, definately Morbid Angel maybe Masters Apprentice (MA) is a subtle tribute? I doubt it, but it's a cool coincidence since Master's apprentice is pretty reminiscient of Morbid Angel to me.

I have the understanding that bands like Morbid Angel and Death were the bands that actually inspired them to play heavy metal. But they were also into Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Slayer back in their younger days. Camel...is a newer influence in their sound. Something they picked up on their 70's prog/psychadelia record buying binges.

Some things just stick with you. But Camel is definately a newer influence on the Opeth sound.