What band influenced Opeth the most?

Camel is their biggest influence. FACT. They might not sound too much alike, but Mikael has mentioned HIMSELF that Opeth has stolen many melodies, etc. from Camel.

the first thing i though when i was listening to opeth the first time was Morbid Angel.. so yeah it has to be Morbid Angel in some way. and celtic frost some how

Yea I knew that, but it doesn't mean it can't be a homage to Morbid Angel. However I said I doubt it, and I still stand by my original comment that it's a nice coincidence

i know that many of you may disagree with what i'm going to say... but this is my opinion, i think that the main influences of Opeth come from Pink Floyd, Metallica and Sepultura... :hotjump: <----- like this one jeje

Nobody has even mentioned "Mefisto". I have read numerous interviews where Mike has said Mefisto was what inspired him to put acoustic parts in the middle of songs. Mefisto is an 80's black/death metal band from Sweden with many of these acoustic parts in the middle of thier 80's thrashy music style. Very cool! Also, Morbid Angel-Altars of madness is what ultimatly drove him to play metal. All Facts.