what you think about ENGL amps

awr

New Metal Member
Jan 31, 2009
Hello there.I am usig engl powerball amp and i kinda like the tone from it,but its not as agressive as i would like it to be.what is your experience with this amp? I want THAT machine head sound! LIke pn the more things change and the blackening-absolutely kick ass.
ps
I know they are using 5150.just wonder if I can get close to that sound with poweball or shoul i get 5150?

allright!thanks .so you reckon i can't do it with powerball?

I haven't used a powerball, but I can bet that you would not be let down by a5150. Theres a reason so many people have one. Plus if you live in the US they are super cheap used. To really hear the 5150 scream you need to use a tube screamer and have a noise gate and possibly an eq. I almost bought an Engl when I had more money but stopped myself when I realized that 5150's were used on way more of the records I like.

RAT?will try.funny thing with powerball is that tubescreamer has almost no effect on it!!!

I have tried 6505 in music shop when i bought engl,i must say that 6505 sounded like total crap compared to engl!?Are those (6505,5150)that different in tone as well?

5150s really need a boost, and most of all IMO, they need a noise gate.. I really like my Invader though, of all the amps I've ever owned I like it the best, but I still want to get some of my old amps back like my Recto.. and maybe finally buy a 5150 too.

I tried with engl 4x12 cab with v30 celestions in it.tried different presence settings:everything from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock.It does sound good,but somewhat not agressive,i would say massive and fat,but lacking that MH bite and clarity maybe!

So peavey did not change anything in 6505?its same amp as 5150?Iwonder if they put in cheaper parts such as transformers and stuff in 6505?
Strange I have played 6505 in guitar center and i did not like it!confused i will go to shop again and try it out .
Anybody compared 5150 with 6505?

They are the same amp dude...nothing changed except the name on the front.

~006

maybe try el34 in power amp to make it more agressive?

Powerball are very tricky to get right for recording purposes. I don't really like it because of that. The 5150 sounds bigger and it's really easy to dial a good tone with it. I use a tubescreamer with both the 5150 and Powerball (except when using EMG into this one).
The 5150 + a good ts pedal will get you near the Machine Head sound.
Here is a 5150 tone I recorded which I think sounds a bit like MH :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/IF_Laurent/FoodForTheGods_ESPEC_lead_EQ.wav
(guitar was an ESP Eclipse)

Check this thread also, I posted some Powerball AND 5150 clips :
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...w-gibson-sg-tones-5150-powerball-content.html