Whatcha think of this guys? Possible dodgy Adam A7?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I just happend to notice when trying to sort some ground loop issues out that one of my monitors sounds rather different to the other when not in use. Musically, all seems ok however.

I mic'd it up to see what you think. First clip is the good one, and 2nd is the potentially strange one. These were both mic'd connected to nothing but AC power, so cables are out of the equation (i've also swapped the cables to test them too, and they are all going in the same power outlet). There seems to be some kind of static in the one that i believe has a problem. You cant really hear this until you stick your head right up to the woofer & tweeter, unless you are in a dead silent room, so i have limited the audio file for you to get a feel of it. Issue present more in the tweeter than the woofer.

I imagine they have been like this from new, but it does worry me there could be something dodgy with it, would hate to have it crap out on me in a time of desperation! There again, maybe it is natural for there to be slight differences.

What are Adam like to deal with?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Dodgy A7 - Output - Stereo Out.mp3

Kev, that reminds me of a similar issue I had with my Yammy's. I worked out that it was interference from my modem. When I turned it off or moved it further it stopped.
I was surprised that it happened, I thought any half decent set of monitors would be shielded against that. Maybe havea look at what's around you which could be causing it? Try to turn everything off at the power and listed to them in isolation.

If it's still there and it bothers you it may be worth further investigation.

I also had same kind of noise with Behringer B2031A and Genelec 8240a. The issue was caused by a modem. Try unplugging the networkcable and see if it fixes it.

A friend of mine has a similar problem but with a computer monitor. Causes a buzz when they're both on. I'd go with the other guys here and start unplugging things to see if it's a particular electronic item you can leave off when you're mixing

Cheers chaps! Thought this one was dead and buried :p Its not enough to aggravate me that much really, as the computer is louder than it and that is pretty damn quiet. Would be nice to find out what might be causing it though, so thanks for your suggestions :)