what's some good classical music to listen to?

bball_1523

Nov 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
Since I love listening to the classical influence that Symphony X puts on, I have been wanting to hear some good classical music, preferrably stuff that symphony X has been influenced, but also stuff that you guys recommend, since you all seem to enjoy that neo-classical stuff these days.

OK. If you are nwe in the amazing world of classicial music you should begin with Antonio Vivaldi and JS Bach.

Vivaldi: I recomend you the four seasons and his flute and guitar concerti.

Bach: I recomend you his Sonatas (Violin, Flute and Cello), piano concerti, brademburgo concerti and his choral works.

SymphonyX (specially Pinella) has worked with the music of those genius.

ah i love classical...dont forget his violin concerti, especially the d for two. Theres always mozart, although I personally can only take so much. Beethovens piano sonatas are awesome.

I've never really cared for Mozart...I think he just seems too mechanical, for me. There doesn't seem to be any emotion.

To the names you've already added...not sure how much of a Symphony X influence these guys are, but I like them. I think "Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravinsky is a fantastic piece...and so heavy in places you'd think it was almost metal! On the totally opposite side from that, there's Aaron Copland, who has written some very relaxing stuff, like "Appalachian Spring" (totally opposite from the other piece I mentioned!).

Composers:
J.S. Bach
Ludwig van Beethoven
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Frederic Chopin-Polonaise
Niccolo Paganini-24 Caprices
Sergei Rachmaninov
Edvard Grieg-Peer Gynt Suite
Hector Berlioz-Symphonie Fantastique
Richard Wagner-Der Ring des Nibelungen
Classical Guitarists:
Andres Segovia
Albeniz
Francisco Tarrega
Heitor Villa-Lobos

... and make sure you buy a cd that is new and remastered or something. The older recordings are always real quiet and have static in the background.

bball_1523 said:
Since I love listening to the classical influence that Symphony X puts on, I have been wanting to hear some good classical music, preferrably stuff that symphony X has been influenced, but also stuff that you guys recommend, since you all seem to enjoy that neo-classical stuff these days.

If you are really into heavy metal, then you should like Wagner's Operas. It's weird, I know, but for some reason I just love them so much.

I especially advice "Pachelbel - Canon in d. maj"
And i think one of the first names in progressive music is "Prokofiev".

I hold that Beethoven's Sonate Pathetique is the greatest piece of music ever written. Most classical composers were geniuses, but I think Beethoven and Liszt top the list...my list anyway.

Antonin Dvorjak's "New World Symphony" is one of my personal favorites. Schoenberg also has some cool stuff. And everything already mentioned is great. I'm a Bach and Vivaldi man mostly.

And what about The Rite of Spring?

You should also look at Gustav Mahler as a good example of counterpoint in fugues. Symphony X uses counterpoint frequently in their music, and Mahler is also one of the great composers no one here has mentioned yet (unless I skipped over something).

emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his star wars suite.... does that count as classical??
emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his indy jones suite.... does that count as classical??
emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his superman suite.... does that count as classical??
emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his jurassic park suite.... does that count as classical??

XeroX. said:
emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his star wars suite.... does that count as classical??
emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his indy jones suite.... does that count as classical??
emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his superman suite.... does that count as classical??
emm... John FREAKIN Williams and his jurassic park suite.... does that count as classical??

I have the Star Wars Triliogy soundtrack. I love the Grand Finale (track 13) and Leia's Song (track 2). The main theme and Imperial March are wonderful as well.

I have to admit once I was a little drunk and I danced to "Cantina Band." Its funny for two reasons. One, I was in my shorts. Two, I don't know how to dance.

Xerox, you are great man...
I'll also add Bruce Broughton, Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldsmith, Edward Shearmur... and the ones i couldn't mention here who makes wonderfull soundtracks for movies.