What's the deal with long band names

-CC-

Something in My Eye
Jan 12, 2009
I've noticed I can usually tell if I'll like the music just by looking at the band name, and recently realized that bands with long names (usually forming phrases) all fall into the same category of music : SHITCORE! Lo behold I wikipediad list of shitcore bands:

# A Different Breed of Killer
# All Shall Perish
# Arsonists Get All the Girls
# As Blood Runs Black
# Before My End
# Bring Me the Horizon
# Dance Club Massacre
# Dead Man in Reno
# Embrace the End
# Heaven Shall Burn
# I Killed the Prom Queen
# Impending Doom
# Job for a Cowboy
# See You Next Tuesday (are you fucking kidding me??)
#With Blood Comes Cleansing

Most of these bands sound like song titles...i guess it's all for the better, this way we can easily avoid bad music before raping our eardrums!

Anyway I hope there are no good metal bands with such long names, because I might be hating on it for no good reason, can someone please verify this!

There was actually a thread on another forum on UM where someone offered up the rule that any band whose name consists of 5 or more words most likely sucks. Of course there are exceptions (The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Order of the Ebon Hand, Die Toten kehren wieder mit dem Wind, Wind of the Black Mountains), but yeah, most bands you tend to come across with longer names tend to be shitcore.

I suppose you asked for your money back after buying that tape?

My jokes only get worse with the years...

I agree with Nec and Andy. To elaborate: The length of the name doesn't really matter imho, but a crystalized shitcore tendency is to use phrases. I can't think of any good band with a sentence as title.

# Arsonists Get All the Girls
# As Blood Runs Black
# Bring Me the Horizon
# I Killed the Prom Queen

What's the deal with long band names?

Jerry-Seinfeld-Dad-Again-2.jpg