What's the deal with Pantera?

TheSeldomlaid said:
When will people learn that it's not the fastest shredder who is the best guitarist? That it's not the most technical song that is the best song?

Nevermore has a few ok tracks, but overall their music is boring as fuck. I prefer Pantera any day.
have you heard the new nevermore album? better than any album pantera ever put out.

also, all you guys who can't get into nevermore, or think pantera is so much better, have you heard the whole nevermore discography? i've heard the whole pantera discography, as well as nevermore's... i tend to like to give bands a chance before i form an opinion on them, and i had friends who listened to pantera a lot when i was a kid, and i wasn't into them then, and when dimebag died, i decided to give them another chance, dl'd the whole discography, and as an adult, still cannot get into them.

^I haven't heard everything they've released, no. But then, I haven't heard everything Pantera has released either. I haven't been arsed to listen to everything they released after Vulgar, because the representative material I have in fact heard doesn't make it seem worthwhile.

As for Nevermore, I have the Dead Heart-album myself, and it has a 40-60 good-bad songs or so. The rest I have heard of them were pretty bland, and I haven't felt the urge to check out more of their stuff.

I preserve my right to state my opinion on a band without having knowledge of their entire discography.

TheSeldomlaid said:
^I haven't heard everything they've released, no. But then, I haven't heard everything Pantera has released either. I haven't been arsed to listen to everything they released after Vulgar, because the representative material I have in fact heard doesn't make it seem worthwhile.

As for Nevermore, I have the Dead Heart-album myself, and it has a 40-60 good-bad songs or so. The rest I have heard of them were pretty bland, and I haven't felt the urge to check out more of their stuff.

I preserve my right to state my opinion on a band without having knowledge of their entire discography.
and you're entitled to that right, i just prefer myself to actually give bands a chance, and listen to as much material by them as i can, which usually means the discography... what if there were an album by a band i didn't think highly of that was actually really good, but i never heard it because i only heard a select few of their songs and thought "this is crap"? i'd be missing out on more good music, so i try and check out everything... but of course, i have a huge music library because of this hahaha

and i don't know that i'd say dead heart is my favorite nevermore album, its good imo, but i think enemies of reality or this godless endeavor, or politics of ecstacy are better

I bought that album after I heard The Heart Collector, so it was sort of a blind shot. But overall it's a good enough buy.

As for checking out bands, I gave up getting whole discographies because I simply don't find the time to go through it all :p Too much from one band, and it's hard to get a proper impression.

lol i tend to bring my music wherever i go, to work, to the gym, in my truck, etc, so i make the time to check out new music... luckily i work a job that gives me the freedom to bring my music, even crank it up when i'm working

There are many metal guitarists out there who are great in their own different ways, which distinguishes them from one another. With that being said, it'd be unfair to say that Dimebag, although fucking awesome, was THE GREATEST metal guitarist out there. I'm sure most of you agree that he was pretty damn good though. I don't really see how his solos or riffs were boring, but i guess its all in the ear of the beholder. I think Pantera (in their prime) were extremely solid, knew what they were doing, and produced an original sound that MOST other metal bands lacked during that time.

I also think that Phil's voice was very appropriate for Pantera, just as warrel's voice is for Nevermore.

Just like Elysian said, he never could really get used to pantera. its the same for me and nervermore, ive tried listening to them, but they never really click for me. Warrel's voice is terribly annoying. but the fact is, they are good musicians. there is no denying that. dimebag was also a good musician. i personaly dont give 2 shits about how complex your riffs are, or your leads. some of the most simple and basic shit has gone on to become the greatest songs that have lived on for years. both bands just have 2 different styles. but i dont think one dominates the other either. im not gonna sit up here and suck dimebag's cock or anything either, so i dont quite think the comments about nevermore and their guitar players should be taken so personal by elysian. although i did post FUCK THIS SHIT! but because this argument is pointless and stupid. i still fucking hate nevermore though:p but as said before, they really are good musicians. except for warrel.....jesus christ, i think kimberly goss could sing better than him! lol. should i have went that far? :loco:

Elysian893 said:
lol dimebag couldn't touch loomis in the technique aspect of things, so no, he couldn't shred as well as them.
Get Loomis' testicles out of your mouth. Dumbass.

^ Hey, learn how to notice talent when you hear it. I don't like Nevermore either, but damn, when I saw them at Gigantour this year, I couldn't help but recognize those guys in Nevermore could shred; they could probably shred as well as Mustaine or Romeo. You people are fucking weak. You try and pick on him while he's being objective and all you guys are doing is jumping on dime's nutsack.

Noble Viking said:
^ Hey, learn how to notice talent when you hear it. I don't like Nevermore either, but damn, when I saw them at Gigantour this year, I couldn't help but recognize those guys in Nevermore could shred; they could probably shred as well as Mustaine or Romeo. You people are fucking weak. You try and pick on him while he's being objective and all you guys are doing is jumping on dime's nutsack.
He's being objective and he is being a dumbass for trying to making a juvenile arguement by claiming that.

"lol dimebag couldn't touch loomis in the technique aspect of things, so no, he couldn't shred as well as them."

"as for pantera... phil is a terrible vocalist, dimebag's riffs were boring and solos even more boring, and vinnie... definately boring. pantera wish they could hold a candle to nevermore."

Jeff Loomis is nothing more than a cookie cutter heavy metal shred guitarist.