What's the Sym X album you hate the most?

What's the Sym X album you hate the most?

• V: The New Mythology Suite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Divine Wings of Tragedy

• Twilight in Olympus

• Total voters
And the production quality is horrible. Symphony X have never really enjoyed amazing production. Odyssey is probably the best they've done. So much of it now is just crushed and maximized that there's no dynamics in any of the songs, making the music boring, repetitive, and tiring to listen to.

I would say the production its still better and more listenable that PL. PL has that treble/upper mid bite what really gets to your ears after awhile, especially with headphones. Yea I agree that Odyssey has pretty good production, even though the bass is over compressed yet thin sounding.

And about the poll. I also voted Iconoclast, simply because its starting to sound a mix or Pantera and Avenged Sevenfold or something, rather than Symphony X (a bit rough comparison).

I freely admit I don't know shit about production, but The Odyssey sounds really flat. The bass is inaudible compared to the first five albums.

Dunno, its probably just me then, but I personally found that to be amazing. I like swearing in metal, and I like loudness, and while I can appreciate keyboard presence, it's not necessarily bothering me that it's not there.

I'm a relatively new Sym X fan, which might explain why - I am attracted to newer albums more. For me PL and Iconoclast are like brother and sister, if that makes sense.

But we all listen to what we like, and overlook what we hate, that's life, in a nutshell. and I can understand the criticism of that album now, sort of.

I don't think anyone can argue that SX's sound hasn't become less distinctive starting with The Odyssey. If you like modern metal and so are happy it sounds more like that, fine, but there are a thousand modern metal bands -- there weren't really that many playing music like SX did, since even though they were a prog metal band they had the 80's shred/neo-classical from Romeo, the Romantic influence from Pinella, and the hard rock influence from Russell Allen. Lately that has faded, and though the three of them are still recognizable, but the sound is closer to modern metal with more technically proficient players than normal.

And yeah, I think Michael Pinnella is completely indispensable to their sound and it is a shame to see him pushed into the background.

Iconoclast is easily their weakest in terms of songwriting. I like a few songs from it, but overall it pales in comparison even to PL (which isn't on the same level as the ones before it, either).

I don't think anyone can argue that SX's sound hasn't become less distinctive starting with The Odyssey. If you like modern metal and so are happy it sounds more like that, fine, but there are a thousand modern metal bands -- there weren't really that many playing music like SX did, since even though they were a prog metal band they had the 80's shred/neo-classical from Romeo, the Romantic influence from Pinella, and the hard rock influence from Russell Allen. Lately that has faded, and though the three of them are still recognizable, but the sound is closer to modern metal with more technically proficient players than normal.

And yeah, I think Michael Pinnella is completely indispensable to their sound and it is a shame to see him pushed into the background.
My point is I dont mind, I can listen to and enjoy all Sym X albums and doesn't matter to me if it became more/less modern, distinctive and such, I pay attention to what sounds good to me. Sym X has never been 100% prog metal band, each album has its own unique musical direction and that's what I like about them. Same goes for Iconoclast, it has something unique to it too, and yes I know how little keyboards are present on that album but it's far from being a terrible album. No, definitely not their best, in my opinion that would be TDWOT or Odyssey, but still, a listenable album.

But okay, other than iconoclast I think The Damnation Game is also an album that should get some criticism. that's an album I'd consider nearly terrible, because about half of the songs sound like fillers/uncatchy, and the rest are just "okay" but the entire album has weak production, and feels rushed like I stated before. The one before it with rod tyler is a little bit better, because nearly all the songs are catchy I think, the only bad thing is Rod tyler who compared to Russell is quite mediocre.

Oooohhhh... I came this close(hold thumb and pointer finger together) to stopping reading that post when you said TDG is nearly terrible..:erk:

I think its fantastic! :yell:

Oooohhhh... I came this close(hold thumb and pointer finger together) to stopping reading that post when you said TDG is nearly terrible..:erk:

I think its fantastic! :yell:
I can still listen to tht album and enjoy it, but compared to the rest of Sym X albums, it is nearly terrible(or completely terrible). That was meant to say in comparison to other albums, not the album by itself is terrible.

There have been talk about the SX albums production before too. And I really feel albums like DWOT or V wouldnt sound as good with "modern" production. The production they have is part of the sound and it fits.

There have been talk about the SX albums production before too. And I really feel albums like DWOT or V wouldnt sound as good with "modern" production. The production they have is part of the sound and it fits.
Definitely. But I think, the first 2 albums by Sym X, DMG and the self-titled should have received a much needed better production at the time. Well, there's one thing that could resolve that and that's remastering, but I don't recall about hearing these albums ever being remastered yet.

I for example have heard the remastered version of When Dream and Day unite by Dream Theater. And I could clearly tell how it sounded better compared to the original version.

"modern" is what you hear on IC.

crushed bits.

Even if it's not your cup of tea, listen to Rage Against The Machine's debut album. That is fucking fantastic production. It has massive dynamics between the quieter and punchier passages, you can hear every instrument clearly, and the sonic field is immense. It's often used as a speaker reference track.

"modern" is what you hear on IC.

crushed bits.

Even if it's not your cup of tea, listen to Rage Against The Machine's debut album. That is fucking fantastic production. It has massive dynamics between the quieter and punchier passages, you can hear every instrument clearly, and the sonic field is immense. It's often used as a speaker reference track.
By some strange coincidence, it is my cup of tea actually. I actually only got into that album by RATM and didn't really like the next two(for some reason). Yeah, agree with what you're saying about how good the production on that one is.

the only thing i really hear 'wrong' about damnation game's production is that it just sounds a little quieter than the rest of the albums, which isn't necessarily bad. i think it's a good album, with some catchy tunes.

Haven't seen this being made before, so I'll start it. It's a kinda awkward question I know, but one that I'm curious to hear about.

Mine....Would be....Hmmm. Probably The Damnation game, just feels like a very rushed and low quality record to me.

Well, what about you?

Damnation Game's one of my favs

Damnation Game's one of my favs
for me what i hated(and still hate) about it is that it is very silent. the sound isnt very clear. all the songs except for like, the title one are great and catchy, but the poor production makes them sound worse than they could be.

like taking a delicious chocolate cake and adding hot chili pepers and onions to the mix

for me what i hated(and still hate) about it is that it is very silent. the sound isnt very clear. all the songs except for like, the title one are great and catchy, but the poor production makes them sound worse than they could be.

like taking a delicious chocolate cake and adding hot chili pepers and onions to the mix

Yea, kinda sounds like Romeo was still learning about the recording progress and didnt have very good equipment in the first place(I assume it was recorded in his home studio).