What's the symbolism behind Blackwater Park(the title track)?

Terminus Est

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Okay first off to start with, I never really cared much for this band. For some reason when I've listened to a couple of their songs I really never understood how I was supposed to appreciate them. For me, metal is supposed to make me feel confident. Anything that's got speed, thrash, power, or traditional Iron Maiden-ish does it for me. I always find myself getting addicted to just about any speed/thrash with every listen. But Opeth, noooo. With Opeth, pretty everything just goes by slowly and the atmosphere is not comprehensible enough for me. So the only thing I get out of most of this music is boredom.

So to sum it up, how am I supposed to appreciate Opeth since so many people rave that it's the if not one of the best metal bands ever?

Now back to the topic.

But with the title track Blackwater Park I get an even better response. Every while I decide to listen to it, man somehow it feels like what I get out of watching a good horror flick. I even have read the lyrics as I listened, and I must say my god is this most thought-provoking or what? The song has sent shivers down my spine as I sat though it.

Methinks there's got to be some kind of symbolism as to what BWP's lyrics portray. So what do they mean? I still remember asking the same question in this Opeth board earlier this year a few days after I first registered as a newbie.

I have no idea wtf Blackwater Park is talking about and I'd be pleased to read anyones thoughts on it.

I used to feel that way about metal too. I'd listen to prog rock and then listen to metal for the straight edge aggression that it offered. I would usually love any metal band that had decent attributes and a true heart. So I had my music completely divided in two so to speak. Then I heard about Opeth the same way I'm sure you have and was eager to hear what I had been missing. At first I didn't feel anything for it at all. I was looking at it the wrong way it turned out. I was looking for pure aggression or something similar to prog's level of calmness and musicianship. A few months later I went back to listen to them again and I was completely changed. Everything I had heard was exactly what I needed to hear but had no idea. I wasn't ready for that kind of style and when you can appreciate them for putting so many things under one roof you will truly know why people can't stfu about Opeth. Me included.

Am I supposed to wonder the following about a band after lstening to Opeth for the first time? Why don't bands throw in more riffs in their songs??
Don't have heart felt solos in every song? Don't have thought provoking lyrics? Why isn't everyone of their songs an epic. Why are the songs so damn short!? Why can't they have dynamic vocals? Why is the album so short? How come I don't like every song on the album?

Anyone ever ask themselves these things??

Blackwater Park seems like a story about a guy documenting a disease of some sort in 'Blackwater Park' and he keeps stating the point that he's only observing. However towards the end the narrator catches the disease and suffers/dies/whatever with them.

Also Dreaming: about the last paragraph you wrote: you'll get over it. The Opeth thing hits you in the face like a brick and makes you think 'shit man, I cant listen to any other music' but you'll eventually grow out of it and start listening to some normal music again. Also there ARE bands out there similar to Opeth, they're not all 'short songs' and redundant vocals and non-thought provokign lyrics. Emperor is a very good suggestion I think to parallel Opeth, but they're more of an acquired taste. Ihsan's musicianship however wipes the floor with Mikael... I mean I preffer Opeth of the two bands, but I'm willing enough to admit that.

Thats usually what I get from people. But people usually fail to believe I've heard a bunch and still explore all the time. I don't see anyone coming close yet and I have found many bands with the attributes of Opeth. Emperor is an awesome band or were. Everything Ihsahn touches seems to turn into black gold.:p But they don't fit my particular tastes as much as Opeth. I grew up with 70s prog and thrash. I then grew interested in the whole DM thing happening and was impressed by few. Opeth just combines so many things that I like to hear. I usually do get over bands that I become massive fans of but it doesn't seem to likely with them. For me to stop exploring music because of Opeth wouldn't be doing justice to my feelings towards their music. They can only be undisputed by knowing whats out there. Not by closing my eyes to the vaste world of music.

That's pretty much the widely accepted idea of the concept of BWP around here... or at least WAS before everyone left. I think you'll prolly find people that'll go into a bit more detail than me (given that the lyrics themselves aren't too vague).

I think blackwater park is about the bad state that the world is in. I heard that Mikael himself said it is about his disgust for some people on the world or something like that.

Moonlapse: good interpretation - youre probably closer than me, but I was just wondering from what line it was that you got the idea that the narrator catches the disease and dies.

BLackwater86 said:
I think blackwater park is about the bad state that the world is in. I heard that Mikael himself said it is about his disgust for some people on the world or something like that.

Moonlapse: good interpretation - youre probably closer than me, but I was just wondering from what line it was that you got the idea that the narrator catches the disease and dies.
It will be metaphorically representational of the world also, especially if Mikey said that. Almost all decent lyrics/poetry/literature etc can be read as metaphorical/symbological worldview. It's the most general, widespread and popular way of writing/sounding 'intelligent'. It is to most of us what Marxism is to academics. =)

I read in an interview somewhere, that the song is predominantly about the morbid nature and curiosity of man. Basically, the part that begins with
"mob round the dead
point fingers at the details"

And how the human race is kind of detiorating slowly...
"we have all lost it now"

Yeah, so, that's what was in the interview anyway (paraphrased). I can't remember where I read it though, perhaps in an issue of terrorizer or something.

Anyway, hope I helped out.

Terminus Est said:
So to sum it up, how am I supposed to appreciate Opeth since so many people rave that it's the if not one of the best metal bands ever?
Opeth are very a very dynamic metal band. They dont just play one style. So if you want to enjoy them you have to be open to dynamics... dont expect just energetic thrash or brutal death or melodic ballads. Opeth take the best from all the styles of music they beleive are good, and they put them together into the most amazing concoction of sound.

THAT is what the rave is about.

Of course it's metaphorical. Its pretty easy to tell that its about humanity and how shitty the world is. But thats just me, cos I'm so used to reading stuff like that :D

DreamingofUr said:
I have no idea wtf Blackwater Park is talking about and I'd be pleased to read anyones thoughts on it.

I used to feel that way about metal too. I'd listen to prog rock and then listen to metal for the straight edge aggression that it offered. I would usually love any metal band that had decent attributes and a true heart. So I had my music completely divided in two so to speak. Then I heard about Opeth the same way I'm sure you have and was eager to hear what I had been missing. At first I didn't feel anything for it at all. I was looking at it the wrong way it turned out. I was looking for pure aggression or something similar to prog's level of calmness and musicianship. A few months later I went back to listen to them again and I was completely changed. Everything I had heard was exactly what I needed to hear but had no idea. I wasn't ready for that kind of style and when you can appreciate them for putting so many things under one roof you will truly know why people can't stfu about Opeth. Me included.

Am I supposed to wonder the following about a band after lstening to Opeth for the first time? Why don't bands throw in more riffs in their songs??
Don't have heart felt solos in every song? Don't have thought provoking lyrics? Why isn't everyone of their songs an epic. Why are the songs so damn short!? Why can't they have dynamic vocals? Why is the album so short? How come I don't like every song on the album?

Anyone ever ask themselves these things??
Go for Neurosis , In The Woods... Ulver or Elend .