What's wrong with By the pain I see in others?

drowd

Feb 11, 2008
Hi! That's my first post here. I've read a lot of posts about people complaining
about BTPISIO and I just don't get it... Why do people don't like it? Is it because it's Mike's least favorite song and you're just a bunch of posers that would do anything to be like mike ?:p I personally think that it's as great as all the songs on Deliverance and I think it's one of the best song there is.
Please just tell me WHY you don't like it!

It's a really good song, I think. The entire album is fantastic.
It's just... four minutes too long. The reverse MA chorus is very cool,
don't get me wrong, but it didn't need to come two and a half
minutes later.

this song is possessed lol thats whats worng with it. Once it ends thers about two and a half minutes of silence b4 the reversed chorus of Master's Apprentices comes in later on. I think Mike did say that it was a screw-up that they forgot to fix. But IMO its a pretty cool mistake lol.

It kicks ass, and my favorite moments from the ALBUM come from it. Such as:

-The drum thing after 3:15 is tighter than a witch's cleft.
-The descent at 8:07
-The (non)transition at 8:14.

the problem is not so much the individual parts, because the song has incredible moments. it's rather an issue of the over all composition, which apparently they had to rush a little bit and this is somewhat noticeable. if they would have had a little more time it would have turned out better.
so it's not so much that it is a bad song, it is more an issue that it is not as perfect as the others and is somewhat a work in progress I guess.

that's what I gather from all the stuff I read about it, and it is also pretty much how I feel about it: great parts, but the general composition and flow between parts could have been a little bit better.

Pretty much what Black Session said; it has amazing parts but overall it's a little disjointed.

And about the ending, have you guys not seriously heard of hidden tracks??? It's not a part of the song, just an extra something for... I don't know actually, it's pretty useless BUT there's no way it's a mistake.

I don't know what's wrong with it, but it's probably my worst song I've written. It was a great song "on paper" but stress + the general vibe in the studio just made it a very dark memory. That song sums up everything I disliked about that recording. With that said, it's a pretty agressive song.
I'm however glad some of you like it. I have a personal relationship with the songs in a different way which can have a very negative effect on my actual opinion of the song.

Cheers
Mike

Reactions: King Richard
Mikael Åkerfeldt;6956792 said:
I don't know what's wrong with it, but it's probably my worst song I've written. It was a great song "on paper" but stress + the general vibe in the studio just made it a very dark memory. That song sums up everything I disliked about that recording. With that said, it's a pretty agressive song.
I'm however glad some of you like it. I have a personal relationship with the songs in a different way which can have a very negative effect on my actual opinion of the song.

Cheers
Mike

and a negative effect on how some people perceive the record as well ... some people who don't like Deliverance (the album) seem only able to use the above statement as an argument why they don't like it :erk:

Deliverance remains my favourite album thusfar, maybe just because of the dark vibe, don't know. How anyone can not get goosebumps when listening to A Fair Judgement, or feel all eary as if watching an old ghost movie when listening to the entire album, is beyond me :headbang:

Pretty much what Black Session said; it has amazing parts but overall it's a little disjointed.

That's basically what I think as well. Song structure is pretty band imo, yet it contains some brilliant parts (just like Orchid and Morningrise albums overall btw :heh:).

I absolutely love the circus bit that starts at 5:04. If the entire song was built around that, it would probably be my favorite Opeth song!