What's your all time favorite song?

General Zod said:
The Coffin Ships - Primordial

Nice - I didn't realize that one had passed the mighty "Gods to the Godless" for you.

For the record - The Coffin Ships is my favorite by them as well. One of the single most intense and emotional moments I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing live.

Nemtheanga. :kickass:

Dark One said:
Nice - I didn't realize that one had passed the mighty "Gods to the Godless" for you.
May your wines be foul... MAY YOUR WINES BE FOUL!:kickass:

It's a coin toss. It's like deciding between "Suite Sister Mary", "Take Hold", "Eyes of a Stranger" or "Killing Words". Ask me in two hours and I'll tell you something different.

Zod

Iron Maiden- Fear of the Dark
Sonata Arctica- White Pearl, Black Oceans
Pink Floyd- Echoes (actually, anything by Pink Floyd is the best song ever written!)
Queensryche- Someone Else (full band version), Spreading the Disease
Kiss- Black Diamond
Ozzy- No More Tears
The Cult- Sun King
Motley Crue- On With the Show
Dream Theater- Metropolis pt 1
Grave Digger- Morgane Le Fay
Mercenary- Loneliness

...and I say "Operation: Mindcrime", "Streets", and "Dark Side of the Moon" are the greatest albums ever recorded in music history.

Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Iron Maiden - Where Eagles Dare, Hallowed Be Thy Name
Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary, Roads to Madness
In Flames - Dead Eternity, Upon an Oaken Throne
Iced Earth - The Coming Curse
Destroyer 666 - Genesis to Genocide
Grave - Soulless
Opeth - Black Rose Immortal, When
Primordial - The Coffin Ships
Moonsorrow - Kylän Päässä
Arcturus - Kinetic
Orphaned Land - Ocean Land
The Crown - Killing Star
Led Zeppelin - Tangerine, Over the Hills and Far Away
The Beatles - the six song Abbey Road medley, Something

Metropolis Pt. 1 - Dream Theater

Another song that has stuck with me since the day I rehearsed it with a band I was in back in 1979...Emerald - Thin Lizzy...great song (RIP Phil Lynott)

A few of my favorites Are Huge Epic Masterpieces.
Here's a Baker's Dozen of Songs That Make Life Worth Livin!

YES - The Gates of Delirium :headbang:
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness :kickass:
YES - The Revealing Science of God :headbang:
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element :kickass:
Anathema - Eternity (Part 1) :headbang:
Anathema - One Last Goodbye :kickass:
Fates Warning - The Ivory Gate of Dreams :headbang:
Rush - Cygnus X1 - Book II :kickass:
Genesis - Dance on a Volcano :headbang:
Marillion - Neverland :kickass:
Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave :headbang:
Therion - Clavicula Nox :kickass:
Queenryche - Queen of the Ryche :headbang:

Magius said:
Couldn't have been a better show. The Outer Edge with about 75 people max. Almost a private concert IIRC.

Hell, yeah, that was a GREAT show. I remember Fates Warning played a great show up there, too, another intimate show. One of those shows had a pretty decent local opener, Blanket Party, but I can't remember which show it was, now. (Their lead singer has now "made it" with a different band.)

I remember after that Savatage show, we stayed outside and yakked with Johnny Lee Middleton for close to an hour afterwards, around the corner from the venue facing the road. The tour-bus started up and started rolling toward the parkiing lot exit. "They can't leave ME," Johnny said brightly. "I'm the tour accountant!"

The bus continued rolling past us and he said "On the other hand, they might think I'm asleep in my bunk. HEY, WAIT UP!" and he hurled his bottled water at the back of the bus. It stopped. "Bye, guys, gotta go! See ya!" And he hopped aboard. We were dyin' of laughter. :lol:

Fave songs....hmmm.

Rush, "Territories" (or two dozen others)
Dream Theater, "Learning to Live"
Superior, "Why?"
Ozric Tentacles, "Ayurvedic" (live)
Fear Factory, "Resurrection"
Nevermore, "Dreaming Neon Black"
Dimmu Borgir, "The Insight and the Catharsis"
Godhead, "Eleanor Rigby"
Children of Bodom, "Silent Night, Bodom Night" (live)
Opeth, "Bleak"
Celldweller, "The Last Firstborn"
Therion, "The Wild Hunt"
Blue Oyster Cult, "Magna of Illusion" or "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"
Devin Townsend, "Regulator" or "Triumph"
Type O Negative, "Die With Me"
The Cruxshadows, "Sympathy (For Tomorrow)"

err, I'll stop. :worship:

Pellaz said:
I remember after that Savatage show, we stayed outside and yakked with Johnny Lee Middleton for close to an hour afterwards, around the corner from the venue facing the road.

I remember that show was during the NCAA Final Four for that year. Whichever game was on was close and it was killing Caffery that he had to go on stage. He was bouncing in front of the TV over the pool tables with his guitar slung and glancing back at the stage totally stressed. I hope his team won, but I don't think he got to see the end.

I also remember Zak thanking "WKLS" for playing Paragons Of Innocence, although I'm pretty sure 96 Rock never played 1 single note of any Savatage song in the years I suffered listening to them.

Since we're doing lists and not one song:
Savatage- All That I bleed
Scorpions- The Zoo
Twisted Sister- The Price
Judas Priest- Night Crawler
Judas Priest- Subterfuge
Def Leppard- Mirror, Mirror (Look Into My Eyes)
Deep Purple- Smoke On The Water
Black Sabbath- Trashed
Nazareth- Hair Of The Dog
The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown- Fire

Bohemian Rhapsody

In 1977 only two years after its release it was named 'The Best Single Of The Last 25 Years' by BPI.[2]

The song consistently ranks highly in media reader polls of "the best singles of all-time". In 2002, it came first in the Guinness Hit Singles poll of the greatest UK singles of all-time, as well as coming 10th in a BBC World Service poll to find the world's favourite song. In 2000 it came second to "Imagine" by John Lennon in a Channel 4 television poll of The 100 Best Number 1s. It has been in the top 5 of the Dutch annual "Top 100 Aller Tijden" ("All-Time Top 100 Singles") since 1977, reaching #1 many times; in the annual "Top 2000" (maintained since 1999) it has, until 2005, been #1 every year.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is the only single to have been UK Christmas Number 1 twice (in a single recording), first in 1975/1976 for 9 weeks, and then in 1991/1992 (as a double-A single with "These Are The Days Of Our Lives") following the death of Mercury for a further 5 weeks. "Bohemian Rhapsody" was placed third in the official list of the best-selling singles in the UK issued in 2002. It has the fourth longest total of weeks at #1 in the UK. The song initially reached #9 in the United States in 1976.

The song enjoyed renewed popularity in 1992 as part of the soundtrack to the film Wayne's World. In connection with this, a new video was released, intercutting excerpts from the film with footage from the original Queen video, along with some live footage of the band. The final scene of the video was notable, where a 1974 photo of the band members (from the cover of the Queen II album) "morphs" into an identically-posed 1985 photo. This re-release hit #2 in the US in 1992.

As of 2004 Bohemian Rhapsody is the second most played song on british radio.[5]

Wasted Love by Grim Reaper

That gets my weekend started every Friday afternoon...always has...always will.

Rock on!

Dark One said:
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
:kickass:
Dark One said:
Destroyer 666 - Genesis to Genocide
As soon as I'm done with the new Vader, I'm queueing this up.
Dark One said:
Opeth - When
:cry:
Dark One said:
Moonsorrow - Kylän Päässä
How can any song, with no less than three umlauts, be anything but brilliant?

Zod

...sorry...i have more than 1 also...

'ballroom blitz' by sweet

'miracles' by jefferson starship

'carry on my wayward son' by kansas

...but...my VERY favorite song of all time is...

'chick-a-boom' by daddy dewdrop....:headbang:

General Zod said:
As soon as I'm done with the new Vader, I'm queueing this up.

It has an indescribable power that just OWNS me.

General Zod said:

Not a "When" fan? (I love "Face of Melinda" as you do, but just love "When" even more). Actually though, I can incorporate your Queensryche logic here in that much of their Still Life material backwards can be interchanged as my favorite song by them at different times. "The Moor", "Advent", "Nectar", "The Twilight Is My Robe", "April Ethereal", etc. All right up around the same level.

General Zod said:
How can any song, with no less than three umlauts, be anything but brilliant?

LOL - irrefutable logic.

General Zod said:
Of course I am. I just used the crying emoticon because it's such a sad song.

Gotcha - yeah, the emotion in that song is absolutely gripping.

General Zod said:
Plus it just plain kicks ass. By the way, I hear the next Moonsorrow CD will consist of only one song, which is 74 hours long.

This ought to be very interesting - sometimes a full length album song can try the listener's patience (which I can understand because I like to listen to complete songs at a time, and sometimes you simply don't have the time to complete it before you need to move on to other things).

Either way though - blind buy all the way. :kickass: