Whats your favorite extreme metal band from the 80s?

Agreed. Although what is seen as 'extreme' is also a matter perspective. I am listening to the new album from Iskald now and it is not sounding 'extreme' to me. YMMV. :)

Considering what you listen to lately, I'm wondering if anything can sound extreme :p

The 80's were great for metal. Those albums still get played the most around here.

Extreme?

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Possessed - Seven Churches
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Leave Scars is heavy as f*&^ too.
Death - Scream Bloody Gore

The golden era of metal. By order of preference for that decade:

Slayer
Destruction
Exodus
Sepultura
Sodom
Death
D.R.I.
Venom
Demolition Hammer
Sarcófago
Celtic Frost
Kreator
Possessed
Morbid Angel
Metallica
Nuclear Assault
Anthrax

We could go on all day with this list, but let's just stop there...

Howe for me, but of course I dig the Wayne era too.

I agree I think Mike had a bit more of unique voice plus the albums they made with him were about as solid as you get. Blessing in disguise is my favorite and Hanging in the balance is a close second. That said the first two album had their own unique charms and sometimes I prefer them. Its a shame about Davids voice on Masterpiece though. What do you think of the latter material with the third singer? I've been kinda putting it off.
I agree with this sentiment. I like the first two Metal Church discs quite a bit, but when Mike and John joined, the band really went to another level. While I love RTL - AJFA era Metallica, Slayer through SITA era etc. etc. I think the Howe era Metal Church, especially Blessing is superior to anything the big four released.
Having said that, I don't consider them "extreme" but rather dark (or American style) powermetal with some thrash tendencies. Discovering them was not all good though. They were so good at what they did, I started having to go to other sub-genres of metal, like prog=metal and such, because no bands could compete with the vibe they had until I discovered Tad Morose MANY years later. They definitely were my favorite band in the very late 80's early 90's.

Bryant

I guess I also should have mentioned Accept as well. Accept's songwriting is about as "traditional metal" as it gets, but Udo's vocal style was/is definitely bizarre enough to label as "extreme."

Bryant

dark (or American style) powermetal with some thrash tendencies.

Bryant

Same as you, I have them in that obscure hybrid of powermetal/thrash along with bands like Meliah Rage, Betrayer, Final Stage, Blatant Disarray, Heretic debut and even Angel Dust (European style) by moments. Also Hermetica and Horcas from Argentina fell under this description. Mesmerize last album may fit too.

Nuclear Assault, Slayer, Megadeth, Whiplash, Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Death, Possessed, Blasphemy, Celtic Frost.

Tormentor released an album in 87 called Seventh Day of Doom and it is a statement against Slayer. If you listen to the song Tormentor from Show No Mercy, and then listen to that album afterwards, the band is kind of speaking against Slayer, saying Slayer was obviously influenced by Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, being a link between Metallica and Slayer. The album itself is good, and a nice precursor to the darker tone that doom and black metal took later.

Slayer's song Tormentor for reference:

Last edited by a moderator: