What's your musical DISCOVERY of the year albumwise? (not 2009 specifc.)

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
So after the other topic asking what your favourite album released this year is, what's your favourite album that you've gotten into this year that's not necessarily from this year?

For me, it's easily my newfound appreciation for Tech Death and Drone.
Cryptopsy - None So Vile + Once Was Not
Gorguts - Obscura + From Wisdom To Hate
Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions

these albums sum up my year in music I think \m/

HOW BOUT YOU GUIZ?

For me -

Decapitated - Winds Of Creation
Suicide Silence - The Cleansing
Hatebreed - The Rise Of Brutality

I love that Hatebreed album! I always ignored them because a few people called them "metalcore" but I love them now!

Shinedown - The Sound Of Madness.

The bands awesome and it's a CLA mix, fucking love it.

Dysrhythmia, Keelhaul, Elbow.

I'm not in the crowd of liking an album based on who produced/mixed it though - the production needs to fit the music for me. Nickelback, Creed, Paramore - all gaaay bands (come one - I'm pretty sure their wikipedia pages are locked due to the abuse they get on there) with savagely produced albums. Doesn't stand up to ...And Justice For All, though. That is my single favourite produced album ever. The vibe of the music is anarchic, angry, betrayed, unjust. Soooo, lets have a clicky kick, dead and dry toms/snare, ultra scooped and overgained guitars with a funny sizzle going on, NO bass, angry shouty vocals. Its fucking perfect. The fact it was produced so badly is why it fits their mindset and music at the time.

I don't mean to say people shouldn't like those bands because their albums are produced so well - just that what really gets me is when the production fits the music so naturally, as if it wasn't intended. Nickelback, Creed and Paramore are just, to my ears, 3 examples of very contrived music with massive production, then forced on to the market with the unstoppable force of their huge label. Rant over!

So yeh - Dysrhythmia, Keelhaul and Elbow got it bang on to my ears. Pretty sure anyone would appreciate the production on the Elbow record though - 'The Seldom Seen Kid' for anyone interested in that album. Produced by their keyboard player.

Septic Flesh - Communion

+ 564356346655865221

that album is FUCKING AWESOME.
(Wasn't i the one who show it to you, Erik?)

Katherine Jenkins - Believe
(my new favorite woman singer)

Therion

Opeth - Watershed (cant wait for a new album of this band >.<)

this year i "discovered" a lot of classical music and film soundtracks:

Hans zimmer:the lion king (love the score of this movie)
John FUCKING AWESOME williams
Howard shore : Lord of the rings OST
Danny elfman : Batman 1989 OST
Beethoven : apassionata mov 3, Moonlight sonata Mov 3
and a lot more...

Mostly the faster kind of drum & bass, since I began to like the genre this year very much:

Black Sun Empire - Driving Insane
Dieselboy - Substance D
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour

And also re-discovered some "lost" albums from my favourite artists:

Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Front Line Assembly - Re-Wind
Katatonia - Tonight's Decision

And finally, I continued listening to last year's excellent releases:

Darkspace - Dark Space III
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Opeth - Watershed
The Amenta - n0n

Mostly the faster kind of drum & bass, since I began to like the genre this year very much:

Black Sun Empire - Driving Insane
Dieselboy - Substance D
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour

And also re-discovered some "lost" albums from my favourite artists:

Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Front Line Assembly - Re-Wind
Katatonia - Tonight's Decision

And finally, I continued listening to last year's excellent releases:

Darkspace - Dark Space III
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Opeth - Watershed
The Amenta - n0n

I got The Amenta - n0n last christmas. Didnt like it at first because i only listened to it in the car. However when you really listen to it - it is a great album

I got The Amenta - n0n last christmas. Didnt like it at first because i only listened to it in the car. However when you really listen to it - it is a great album

It's an awesome album to walk with, too :) -25 C or lower, pitchblack darkness, and a brisk wind, while you walk for 1,5 hours outdoors. It's simply awesome! Darkspace's album works nicely for that, too.

Aside from the new releases from this year listed in the other thread I couldn't stop listening to:

Aeon - Rise to Dominate (2007)
Ahab - The Call of The Wretched Sea (2006) (very cool stuff! Finally I found a Funeral Doom band that doesn't bore the hell out of me)
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey (1993)
Candlemass - From the 13th Sun (1999)
Dan Swanö - Moontower (1998)
Evocation - Dead Calm Chaos (2008)
Facebreaker - Dead Rotten And Hungry (2008)
Some albums of Funeral
Grip Inc. - Power of Inner Strength (1995)
Pan.Thy.Monium
Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness (2006)
Solitude Aeturnus - Alone (2006)
Souldrainer - Reborn (2007)
Unleashed - Where No Life Dwells (1991)