What's your musical DISCOVERY of the year albumwise? (not 2009 specifc.)

For this board, I'm sure it's old news, but the big surprise to me this year in discovering new music was Behemoth. I've always thought their music was extreme (as well as their stance on religion, etc.), but after watching the making of vids for Evangelion and my subsequent purchase of the CD, they are not nearly as extreme as I thought, and it's easily on of my favorite releases for '09...I recently picked up The Apostasy and was severely let down compared to Evangelion. I'm hoping Demigod is better...

I've been listening to a lot of defunct bands that I only discovered this year, almost all in the slowcore/indie pop vein, like Carissa's Wierd, Billy Music, C-Clamp, etc.

I discovered Japanese metal...and I'm not talking Loudness.

Two bands mainly:

Anthem, fantastic band, great vocals, and shredding guitar. It says a lot about the vocalists when, of the 3 they've had in the band at various times, that Graham Bonnet is the worst of them. Immortal and Black Empire are great cds...their live in-studio performances from their greatest hits DVD are fantastic!

Galneryus, more wanky style-wise, but a lot of really cool songs. Great singer.

Other stuff:

Amanda Somerville, first paid attention when she filled in for Simone Symonds in Epica, but then got her solo records Windows, and And Then There Was...

Cannibal Corpse...I know, weird, but I got into them at the same time as Amanda. Bought the Centuries of Torment DVD and was amazed with it. One of the best music docs I've seen. I have since bought a lot of their music and love Evisceration Plague. I've since been expanding my tour through death metal.

got into a lot more "orthodox" bm other than Deathspell Omega - ie Watain, Funeral Mist, Ofermod, Ondskapt, Svartsyn, etc.
got into dub like Ott and Younger Brother and Prometheus.

My love for Oceansize

and I also discovered I have a somewhat guilty pleasure for deathcore unfortunately

WAAAAAY too much to list... I've discovered so much this year, musically, that I could spend days trying to remember it all and list it...

One that stands out is Devin Townsend... he's amazing.

How could I forget Devin?:zombie: He is GOD. Albuns like Ocean Machine, Terria and Accelerated Evolution are timeless.

also my discovery of my love for vinyl
i have just spent all evening listening to behold the arctopus, indricothere and sunn O))) on vinyl and its like you havent truly experienced an album til you've sat on the floor in the dark with candles lit and listened to the vinyl version. fantastic.

The Faceless - Planetary Duality (cynic meets black dhalia murder)
and
Obscura - Cosmogenesis (cynic meets necrophagist [ex necrophagist guitarist and drummer!!])

Both rediciolously good technichal death metal albums!

Not really metal at all, but my discovery was really a re-discovery of sorts. I always liked Richie Kotzen back when shred ruled the guitar world, but last year (or this year for about a week), I really got into his more recent releases. He is a phenomenal musician and songwriter, not just the shredder of old. He has a great powerful voice, a soulful guitar tone, and the boy can simply play. I was browsing through Rhapsody one day and came across his album "Into the Black" from 2006 and decided to give it a listen - when done listening to the first song "You Can't Save Me" with it's chorus of "Fuck your money, Fuck your fame, Fuck my life, I'll walk away, ..." I thought here is an man with a story to tell (quite an angry one on this album - it's a little hopeful at the end) that I want to listen to.

After hearing this album I went out and bought his whole back catalog of the discs I did not already own and his new album "Peace Sign" - another great disc by the way - truly my favorite singer songwriter ever. He can write in many different styles from shred, blues, funk, groove, you name it the man can do it. I listen to his music daily and it moves me. very few artists do that these days, but his music does - at least for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to get to know Gojira, Martyr, Augury, Kalisia and Sybreed. :kickass:

I also got to like Opeth, in fact to like them very much, and I extended my love for Pain of Salvation. :loco: