What's your musical DISCOVERY of the year albumwise? (not 2009 specifc.)

This is the first year in my life that I can remember of that I haven't made a major musical discovery. It's really kinda sad.

There's only one band that got me hooked, after I saw them live. And that's Ignite, which I've know forever but always thought they were shite. That's all.

And it's not like I didn't expose myself to all kinds of stuff

I really got into Jar of Flies by alice in chains recently (and way too late too!).

héhé same here... was mostly into "Dirt" and Jerry Cantrell's "degradation trip" for now but this year i listened to the rest of the AIC/Cantrell discography more in depth and started to love it.

Not to mention the new album and the reunion show i've attended blew my mind as well.

Back to my musical re-discovery of 2009 for a second. As I mentioned before it was getting back into Richie Kotzen but not for his shredding capabilities but for his talent as a multi-instrumentalist and his song writing skills. Well I finally watched his latest video from his newest release "Peace Sign" - the video for "Paying Dues" is simply an awesome display of this mans talents. He played all the instruments on his latest release - not programmed them, played them. With all the current discussion about talentless bands and over edited albums to make up for it - this truly is a breath of fresh air for me.

Love it, love it, love it.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you say that. Before this album I loved Opeth but this CD closed the door for me.

yep.
that combined with me seeing cynic supporting them at bristol. cynic got like 20 minutes and opeth got like 90 and cynic shat all over them in every way shape and form

Honestly, it really kinda irks me that it's not subdivided into tracks like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, that would have made it much more accessible to me I gotta say :/ I did buy it though!

Honestly, it really kinda irks me that it's not subdivided into tracks like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, that would have made it much more accessible to me I gotta say :/ I did buy it though!

I see what you mean there. It's not the most accessible record, but when you've got time to spare, it's one of the best musical journeys I've ever heard IMHO. Great story and music.

I've been listening to a ton of Cave In recently, stuff from around 2003 and up. Some amazinggg songs, really vast talent, and probably something for everyone if you listen through their discography. Really cool history behind the band and everything, super rad band all around =] Should have gotten into them wayyy sooner then now =/

...actually, alot of Hydra Head Records' stuff. Falling alseep to Isis everynight, hahaha

I've been listening to a ton of Cave In recently, stuff from around 2003 and up. Some amazinggg songs, really vast talent, and probably something for everyone if you listen through their discography. Really cool history behind the band and everything, super rad band all around =] Should have gotten into them wayyy sooner then now =/

Cave In is amazing. Especially the "jupiter" and "antenna" albums.

Back to my musical re-discovery of 2009 for a second. As I mentioned before it was getting back into Richie Kotzen but not for his shredding capabilities but for his talent as a multi-instrumentalist and his song writing skills. Well I finally watched his latest video from his newest release "Peace Sign" - the video for "Paying Dues" is simply an awesome display of this mans talents. He played all the instruments on his latest release - not programmed them, played them. With all the current discussion about talentless bands and over edited albums to make up for it - this truly is a breath of fresh air for me.

Love it, love it, love it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhCqEfkKa5s

That's an awesome music video/song !

Thanks for posting that dude ! Just heard the name in the past (and the main riff sounded familiar also) but never checked him out.

Jeff Buckley - Grace : of course i've heard of it in the past years but never really checked it out... well better late than never... i think that album is a MASTERPIECE and understand why so many people are raving (and mourning) over it

Duuuuude. "Grace" is probably my favorite album ever. I'm a huge Buckley fan.

-Joe

Duuuuude. "Grace" is probably my favorite album ever. I'm a huge Buckley fan.

-Joe

One of my personal favourite albums too, but I can't really listen to it anymore. Bad memories attached so it's one I only bust out on rare occaisions, but pretty much everyone I know who likes that album is the same way.

One of my personal favourite albums too, but I can't really listen to it anymore. Bad memories attached so it's one I only bust out on rare occaisions, but pretty much everyone I know who likes that album is the same way.

I hear ya. That album is just pure, raw, emotion. Incredible moments of beauty, but lots of sadness too. Coupled with his untimely death it is indeed a heavy album to listen to.

-Joe