where can metal go from here

I can't see how they aren't average, given the hundreds of other bands that made extremely similar music ever since the 1980's, excepting the fact that most of those bands were actually reasonably competent English speakers, unlike Hibria. It's also not like they write or play music at some level that's anything above the standard for their style, and they're loaded up with every Iron Maiden cliché imaginable.

Hibria are energetic, fun, talented, and badass. They're definitely one of the best of the traditionally-inspired power metal acts that I've heard.

I don't think here's really the place for an argument about Hibria though.

I'm on Hibria's myspace right now and I feel obliged to side with Omni; this is pretty average. It's from their second album, though. I'll try something from the first.
EDIT: The song from the first album is somewhat above average, but still really nothing a million bands aren't doing.

Their first album is far better from what I've heard of the second.

I actually would have to agree that the second is not that great. The first was overflowing with energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop creating poorly punctuated threads. If you expect us to take the time to read what you say, take the time to write it out properly. At the very least the fucking thread title should be capitalized and have a question mark.

Someone call the grammar police FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Metal can go in all sorts of ways. Shit can still get heavier, faster, and meaner.

I think pushing boundries extremity-wise is a stupid way to look at the evolution of metal tbh. I don't see much room or need for more heaviness or speed. Being creative with the art form and being open to new ideas is the only way forward imo. The reason threads like this happen is because too many metalheads want more of the same and are immediately turned off by anything that challenges the tried & true. Sabbath were trying things back in the mid-seventies that would be frowned upon by some in the context of today's metal scene.

yes

also, who says it has to go anywhere? plenty of bands are still writing great music in the classic style.

dont interpret that as me discouraging change. i like new ideas and whatnot. i'm just saying things dont need to change for the sake of change
~gR~
I agree with you. When it comes down to it, I put on more of the same as opposed to something that's out there or whatever. There is still infinite amounts of good music to be made without adding this or that to the formula. Slayer's classic albums sound as good today as they did then...I'd put that on before some crazy symphonic tech death band or some shit.

For me, it's gotten to a point where I don't really care so much about innovation anymore.
What I do care about though is creative, inspiring to listen to music. You can be creative within boundaries that have been set already.
For example, Between the Buried and Me's Colors.
I realize this band and/or album isn't going to be to everyone's tastes reading my post, but Colors was one of the few albums in recent years in metal that I didn't just think "yeah, got some good tunes but nothing special" but was totally blown away.
It may not have been innovative in the sense of creating a new genre like Black Sabbath, but in a way I can't really describe, they pushed the boundaries by fusing heaps of stuff together, incorporating totally unexpected elements into the sound,like that Mike Patton vocal-esque thing into the middle of a heavy, brutal song, I never saw that coming at all upon my first listen, whereas most metal bands I hear these days are totally predictable in every sense.
They are showing what can be done if you're willing to put in massive effort and not resort to the same Bay Area Thrash band sound we keep hearing or the same old, old school death metal sound that keeps popping up.
I think progressive death metal in the vein of BtBaM is something with a lot of potential for growth. In the end, it's the artist that sets the limitation. If a band wants to mix up as much elements as possible and has the creativity to do so, it can be done.
I think a band like Nevermore really took many genres we know of, groove metal, death, thrash, melodic styles of metal and fused it into one amazing melting pot.
Petrucci might have shown us the direction a 7 string can take if you know how to play, but Jeff Loomis expanded upon the 7 string vocabularly that Petrucci gave us 10 fold.
We heard 7 string riffs people weren't doing before, we heard fucking insane sweep picked arpeggios like the solo on Born that utilized the 7th string like never before, at least from what I've heard anyway.

Re: Deathcore
True.......I only like about 4 deathcore bands so far out of the thousand shitty "mallcore deathcore" generic bands.
But again, a band willing to push forward with the sound rather than jumping on the mallcore deathcore bandwagon can do great things.
I think deathcore has shit loads of potential to push into innovative metal.
It's a matter of willingness to jump on that potential and too many bands have shown me that they wont.