where can metal go from here

Apr 19, 2009
i love metal, all forms of it, cept metal core and death core if those count as metal, but i dont see where death metal, and black metal is ever going to go from where it is, they both have rediculously die hard fan bases, including me, and im happy with it staying where it is, but there will never be another judas priest or iron maiden, or even metallica, although i dont like them at all..discuss

There will never be another band that is both incredibly innovative and pretty damn popular because at this point most of the forms of metal that are at all accessible to most listeners have already been discovered. If you want to be really creative with metal nowadays you're probably going to forego popularity, and vice-versa. There is still some innovative bands out there that constantly change their sound without getting worse like Deathspell Omega or Enslaved or w/e but of course they'll never get popular enough for radio play or something.

yea i see what you guys mean, it doesnt seem like you can get the nationwide sucess because, if you go a route that is radio friendly its already been done or your forced to sell out, and before, i meant i dont like metallica at all, i love priest and maiden lol

I really like Gojira and I can see some of their stuff becoming radio accessible. They deserve all the popularity they can get. You could also make an argument for bands like Dream Theater (not death metal or black metal, but still metal) that have seemingly gained more popularity since the advent of Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I've been a fan of them for a while and this upcoming Progressive Nation tour seems to be located in larger venues than any previous tours. Perhaps the whole progressive metal thing will take off or something.

Dream Theater has stopped being innovative years ago though. Biggest metal bands in the world based on what kind of audience they can get would probably be Metallica > Tool > Dream Theater I guess. Tool is fantastic but tbh they're not important to metal any more as much as just heavy prog. Maynard's lost too much of his vocal range to do any Opiate/Undertow kind of material even if he wanted to. It would be cool to see better metal on games like guitar hero/rock band (personally I despise those games but, if it gave legitimately good bands some exposure, that would be nice) - though I think the badass-ness of playing downtuned shit with pinch harmonics and bends all over the place would be lost on a 5-buttons-and-a-lightswitch plastic guitar.

Stop creating poorly punctuated threads. If you expect us to take the time to read what you say, take the time to write it out properly. At the very least the fucking thread title should be capitalized and have a question mark.

Metal can go in all sorts of ways. Shit can still get heavier, faster, and meaner. European power metal can still get gayer. Wanky prog and tech can get wankier. There's all sorts of ways to push boundaries. In Flames, Soilwork, and the whole gothenburg crowd are moving towards a synthesis of metal and hard rock in a more extreme melodic context. Jollyfolk still has places it can go. Someone could find a way to play deathcore such that it isn't gay (progress has been made in this field).

So much has been done with doom metal, and I feel that there are lots of directions it could take still.

I've recently been exploring the funeral doom genre, and I must say it's an incredible collection of music. I also would like to hear some more contemporary epic doom. While Heaven Wept is fantastic, and really are a standout act in the contemporary doom scene. I'd like to hear more stuff like that.

more genre fusions. more suffixes and prefixes added to genres. id like to hear some

melodic symphonic progressive technical brutal blackened deathcore

People said the same thing 10 years ago. There's always something to do.

yes

also, who says it has to go anywhere? plenty of bands are still writing great music in the classic style.

dont interpret that as me discouraging change. i like new ideas and whatnot. i'm just saying things dont need to change for the sake of change
~gR~

i love metal, all forms of it, cept metal core and death core if those count as metal, but i dont see where death metal, and black metal is ever going to go from where it is, they both have rediculously die hard fan bases, including me, and im happy with it staying where it is, but there will never be another judas priest or iron maiden, or even metallica, although i dont like them at all..discuss

I legitimately hate all of your posts.

I would like to see some new genres erupt but I doubt that happining soon. I would like to see noise metal, that'd be cool.

more genre fusions. more suffixes and prefixes added to genres. id like to hear some

melodic symphonic progressive technical brutal blackened deathcore

This is basically what I was going to say. I don't see too many more original genres coming out, instead I see more fusions coming.

There's no reason to mention them here, since they're not only extremely unoriginal, but also pretty average. I seriously hope metal doesn't go in that direction.

Unoriginal, yes; average, no. They kick ass.

I seriously hope the future of metal isn't cudgeled into a pessimistic stupor because of your incessant nagging.

That said, I do agree that there's no reason for them to be mentioned in this thread.

I can't see how they aren't average, given the hundreds of other bands that made extremely similar music ever since the 1980's, excepting the fact that most of those bands were actually reasonably competent English speakers, unlike Hibria. It's also not like they write or play music at some level that's anything above the standard for their style, and they're loaded up with every Iron Maiden cliché imaginable.