Where do Katatonia want to go?

This question is pointed out to anyone who has any idea as to where Katatonia want to go with the music. For example Anathema were interview in Terrorizor recently and they were saying how they don't really get enough money outof their music to worry about it.

But I don't see that there is anything wrong making loads of money from music, as long as you keep writing for the love of music. Sure people don't, but thats up to them, There are people out there who do far worse things.

Music mainly eminates from the soul, so if you are only in it for money your loosing out on that feeling of a mind thats allowed to be se free.

So what is your question? Are you postulating on Katatonia's intended direction, or commenting on the general greed that manifests the music industry?

Personally I don't think Katatonia are going to become millionaires. I think they know that too. Although I do hope that they don't attempt the merge into the mainstream. Of course, we all realise that they're good enough to do so, only I don't think the majority of the public are capable of appreciating a song like Tonight's Music or The Future of Speech.

It's quite possible Katatonia may be a cult favorite or maybe an influence on mainstream rock bands in the future, but I don't know if I would say they would become mainstream. The masses generally want happy and disposable music. Not music played with genuine feeling and dealing with negative emotions.

I hope they can only improve in their music. I wouldn't like them to become too famous, because many bands got ruined with success. it's so bad when record companies influence bands just because they want them to sell more.
I only hope that Katatonia can make a living from what they do, so that they can concetrate only on their music and provide their fans with as many beautiful albums as possible!
I think that if they haven't had difficult times in their lives, they wouldn't have written such a dark an melancholic (sometimes even desperate) music, I love them also because they can express real feelings, and their pain is true,you really feel sympathetic towards them.
How could a famous band have written an album entitled " Disouraged ones?"

Don't be so sure... remember My Dying Bride? They went backwards.

Indeed. Although I really like both outputs after "34,...%", I have to say that they seem to lack the will to explore new musical territory since Calvin has left the band. Sure, they are on the safe side with such albums, it's exactly this kind of music they stand for, but you won't find any aha-experience like it was the case with many earlier MDB songs.

I think "The Dreadful Hours" is MDB's first album which is quite similar to its predecessor, and that's a bit disappointing.
I hope to see some (songwriting) action from their new guitarist Hamish and alternative approaches (less keyboard) next time.

Even though I'm not much of a My Dying Bride fan, I'm really glad they ditched the violinist. Just made the songs too sappy. I really liked The Light At The End of the World and the lack of the violinist was the main reason for it.

Originally posted by my dying groom
I think "The Dreadful Hours" is MDB's first album which is quite similar to its predecessor, and that's a bit disappointing

You're right about this. The Light at the End of the World and The Dreadful Hours are the most similar by miles, compared to the other albums. I'm pretty sure you're right about Calvin's contribution too.

They used to be my favourite band until The Light... Now they seem to be churning out the doom just for the sake of it. The lyrics are the same from about 1995 to present day!! They've long since been left behind by the likes of Saturnus and Novembre.

And Endtime, shame on you! The violin was their defining feature. It simply wept emotion!

I would sure love that Katatonia came with another Dance of december Souls... but i prefer that they stay true to themselves, if i disaprove their desenvolvement then ill stop listening to them... it would be a great loss... but they owe me nothing as i owe nothing back.

I think Jonas will never let Katatonia growl again.
An interesting point to bear in mins is: What will Paradise Lost do? What´s their future? Elec, guitars? What´s Nick gonna do with his vocals?
Well, that´s what Katatonia will probably do, just follow their musical steps, as they´ve conciously or not have done so far.
Anyway, I´ll not only accept these futures, but also get mad again with ´em.
Greetings from Spain ;)