Where is the old bodom?

I really don't see what all the complaining is about. Nobody forces you to buy the CDs or whatever, nobody forces you to be into Bodom. If you're not liking the way they're going, look in your local pub, find a little band with 3 fans and that way, in 5 years time when they dare to progress (lYk 0migZ) you can complain AGAIN about how 'their new CD is shit compared to their 3 track limited edition Japanese neon blue vinyl'. I really hate how in metal, if a band doesn't regurgitate their early sound over and over, they get branded nu metal or something.

If you REALLY can't live without another Hatebreeder or something wild, get together a band of your own and make one. :)

drakkar_anni said:
I really don't see what all the complaining is about. Nobody forces you to buy the CDs or whatever, nobody forces you to be into Bodom. If you're not liking the way they're going, look in your local pub, find a little band with 3 fans and that way, in 5 years time when they dare to progress (lYk 0migZ) you can complain AGAIN about how 'their new CD is shit compared to their 3 track limited edition Japanese neon blue vinyl'. I really hate how in metal, if a band doesn't regurgitate their early sound over and over, they get branded nu metal or something.

If you REALLY can't live without another Hatebreeder or something wild, get together a band of your own and make one. :)

That was great!

A band is gonna evolve, you can't expect them not to. They are older, wiser (?) and have different things going on in their lives than there were in the early days. Of course their style is going to change. It's unfortunate that some of you aren't liking the 'new' Bodom but as was said before you'd all be moaning as much if they put out regurgitations of the older stuff.

hi there

i just read this thread, and because it's a topic that bothers me a lot, i wanted to write my opinion, because IMO we didn't get the important point yet. hope the post won't get too long :)

i think there are two ways how to understand alexi's quote from the interview:

1) he really wanted to say that they want to evolve and not to copy old stuff, so they're gonna play the stuff they're into at the moment. that would be, as anyone will agree, totally ok because it's the band who decides. the result may suck (for some old-fashioned fans (like me)), but anyway.

2) now remember the answer janne once gave in the ask-janne-thread: HCD sold about 150 000 times (if we include p2p then probably 300 000)... doesn't that sound a bit suspect? couldn't it be quite possible that the guys just smell the money and therefore may not copy hatebreeder or FTR, but they will copy HCD once more? i don't want to say that is the truth, but it's just a possibility i'm afraid of...

let's be honest: if you listen to HCD and the new EP as if you were a "musical analyst" (stupid word) or something, you'll agree that the song-structures are become simpler, the solos uninspired, the riffs cheap, and the tracks are of an overproduced heaviness. and that's the exact opposite of what CoB is (or what made CoB popular)! i don't have anything against an evolving band, but only if it stays between the style-borders every band has. CoB doesn't have to sound like sinergy or kylähullut, but not like some modern american metal as well...
with HCD CoB kicked themselves from the finnish melodic death-throne and made a record every technically good band could have made. and as it seems to me, TLS sounds exactly like HCD! so, if the new record becomes full of TLS-like tracks, alexi's quote could be interpreted as "we don't care about our old fans, we want teens to spend their money buying our records", and if it would come that far, CoB would definitely suck...

hm, thats a quite long post, but i'd like to hear what do you guys think of that?

drakkar_anni said:

TRUE! :)