Where the fuck is the Avatar thread?

Saw it today. Easily one of the most beautiful movies ever. I think you almost have to see it in 3D. The story was pretty good, at least enough to keep me interested throughout. The world Cameron created is just spectacular.

Just got back from it, I'm slightly overwhelmed, it was fucking great...so great that no amount of corny lines could suck away any of the awesome. The world Cameron created and the creatures that inhabit it, wow, just wow.

what I find kinda interesting is that Cameron had started on it around 94 and wanted to have it released '99 but tech wasnt that good yet or too expensive or something so he waited with it until now. Which in aftersight was a smart movie, it was a great movie

Just saw today in 3D (no IMAX, it was sold out for the entire weekend straight), and there's nothing I'm gonna churn out that hasn't been covered already, so this is just for anyone's reassurance. Cameron is a genius and the setting as well as the lore is awesomely well created and obviously the visuals are all jaw dropping, even though the plot feels very recycled. You have to see it in theaters in 3d though, it really is that kinda movie where you have to. I actually wasn't pissed off for having to pay $14.50 (cdn) for a fucking ticket for the first time in my life.

Seriously though, I've never seen more perfectly executed facial expressions and body frame kinetics from a live 3d model in my entire life, nevermind the detail that went into the textures of it. Jeez, must've been a lotta asians at hard work the past 15 years. The question is which douchebag is gonna pick up all this fancy shmancy equipment that Cameron made in order to direct this film?

Oh yeah, and I hear there's sequel(s) planned, so prepare to sigh and gag.

what I find kinda interesting is that Cameron had started on it around 94 and wanted to have it released '99 but tech wasnt that good yet or too expensive or something so he waited with it until now. Which in aftersight was a smart movie, it was a great movie

Hey man, is it entirely dubbed in Swedish over there? Finding it in English here was a pain (my Czech is average but not nearly good enough to listen to a dubbed movie without help).

So... I wasn't even going to see this, because the trailers and "making of's" made it appear to be your usual shallow mainstream blockbuster FX fest.

Then I saw your comments in this thread here and actually went to see it tonight. Yes, in 3D.

I wasn't impressed at all. Sure, the visuals were astounding but take that away and there is little to nothing left of originality or quality content. IMHO of course.

I was sceptical of the people saying it really is just "Dances With Wolves" in a sci-fi setting, but it really is. No... wait... actually, the old Costner flick had ten times more substance than this.

I was entertained in places, but overall it's just boiling insubstantial Hollywood piss. Not one unforeseen turn of events, not one left out cliché.

So in the end, even the 25 years old, made with virtually no budget, rubber-face Arnie, Terminator has tons more flair than this wannabe meaningful attempt at creating a modern sci-fi-adventure-fairytale.

A generous 04/10.

Hey man, is it entirely dubbed in Swedish over there? Finding it in English here was a pain (my Czech is average but not nearly good enough to listen to a dubbed movie without help).

nope, it was english :) Only thing that gets dubbed here are the cartoons and kids movies, and the cinemas almost always have both an english and a swedish dubbed version

Yeah same here, usually just kids movies get dubbed.

I guess the Czechs don't have as good English as Swedes and so they decided to dub to make sure the cinemas were full (which they never are, regardless).

I guess the Czechs don't have as good English as Swedes and so they decided to dub to make sure the cinemas were full (which they never are, regardless).

Yeah, gotta take into account that the "older" generations never had English in school due to Iron Curtain bollocks. It's the same here in former GDR territory. ;)

Anyway... JBroll posted quite a fitting review on Avatar at the Sneap forum:

I just saw Avatar 3D at the IMAX.

Canada officially owes the world an apology for yet another 'artist' who needs to be taken out back and beaten to death with *himself*, because no weapon of any kind could possibly deserve the defilement of being used against James Cameron.

'Unobtainium'? Why not make the ships out of 'Unfuckwithablebygoddamnedeight-foot-arrowsshotbytenfoottallbluestripedidiotswithnotechnologymoreadvancedthanstickswithstringsonthemium' if you're just going to be so blatantly pulling your own cum out of your ass and pretending that everyone else needs to see it and pretend that it's film writing?

Or how about brilliant plot devices like 'outsider is met with apprehension, eventually trusted, temporarily distrusted after blinding flash of the obvious reveals what every character would have known if they weren't so busy jerking themselves off to a goddamned tree and being stupid hippies for no good reason, trusted again after display of great prowess in entirely irrelevant nonsense, and becomes one with foreign society after victory over an entirely predictable and stupid enemy is achieved' that have *never* been used before at all?

Perhaps what a film really needs is having every possible scene of interest and action entirely cliched, including the supposedly epic final battle in which flying things do strange things that are hard to follow because shoddy camera work increases suspense, bad things happen to the side the audience is expected to root for, all hope seems lost for the entirely artificial 'good guys', hope is suddenly regained after a turn of events that couldn't have been more predictable if it was screamed at the audience before the film started, and finally evil is destroyed by the advantages of said 'good guys' because that makes for happy endings... oh, wait, every single idea there sucks and those who try to bring it about again should be burnt alive for crimes against 'not being a fuckhead'.

As much as I hate to be that stupid asshole who can't stay within a 0-10 scale when requested, there is no number *at all* that suits this film adequately. Even if there was such a number, I would feel bad for associating Avatar with it - a number could rape my family to death and eat half of my brain for dinner with a Bud Light while watching football and listening to Billy Ray Cyrus without getting to such a low level of esteem that being placed in the same sentence as Avatar wouldn't seem like a crime.

I could have made for a more pleasant three hours by sitting on flaming radioactive porcupines, and I even drank beforehand to try to numb the kind of pure, uncontrollable hatred that I feared that the film could bring out. The film even squandered a goddamned *Sigourney Weaver* appearance. Still, James Cameron had to retell one stupid part of just about every regurgitated cliche that he could possibly imagine, throw in striped blue elf-lizards, and then just completely ruin any hope that the entire farce wasn't just an attempt at filling some stupid fetish of his by SHOVING STRIPED BLUE ELF-LIZARD TITS INTO THE CORNER OF MY EYES EVERY GODDAMNED MINUTE.

Fuck you, James Cameron. I hope you get shot through the chest with a decent fucking screenplay that doesn't require massive CGI budgets, famous actors, and everything every other movie could have done without, because that seems to be the only thing that doesn't get you off like an Energizer bunny with the batteries in backwards.

Jeff

so the tl;dr version of that would be that he didn't like a small part of what made up the entire film so he went Dead Winter and exaggerated massive paragraphs about how someone needs to die about this?

lol

But seriously, the movie is fucking great and anyone who doesn't agree is gay and lying and trying way too hard to nitpick at shit.

Such as getting so hung up on Unobtanium. Google the word. It's an established term and it's use is fairly clever in relation to the movie's story, the context it's been used in many other science fiction mediums, and the definition of it .

But seriously, the movie is fucking great and anyone who doesn't agree is gay and lying and trying way too hard to nitpick at shit.

Such as getting so hung up on Unobtanium. Google the word. It's an established term and it's use is fairly clever in relation to the movie's story, the context it's been used in many other science fiction mediums, and the definition of it .

See, that's not a detail that's bothering me much. But the whole package is so average... no, way below average if you disregard the pure quality of the visuals.

And I can't even enjoy the visuals because this oh so epic world Cameron has created is just a pile of regurgitated ideas. There's just no substance.

I found ONE thing in the whole movie that I though was somewhat original and that's the concept of these alien-indians being able to connect through their little tentacles to the assets of the world. And even that's not really a novum...

This whole world, the whole concept seems to be thrown together at a 15 minutes (max.) brainstorm. Like "oh we're gonna put out a state of the art CGI fest, so let's scrape some story and context together real fast anybody... but please don't take a chance and be original or try something that puts to much strain on our audience's intellect".

so the tl;dr version of that would be that he didn't like a small part of what made up the entire film so he went Dead Winter and exaggerated massive paragraphs about how someone needs to die about this?

lol

Yep.

Jeff's review is terrible.

To elaborate - the review reads like a kid who's thrown his toys out of the pram. There is too much of that shit all over the internet - either critique it reasonably or don't bother. I'd be a rich man if I had a penny for every time I'd seen/read/heard an "asshurt internets review". I thought Jeff was smarter than that, too.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/kschlichter/2009/12/22/time-to-call-out-james-cameron/

"Avatar is not just a movie. And Imagine is not just a song. And Adam Lambert is not just a flamboyant artist. They are all part of an agenda...We are all soldiers in this fight, and popular culture is the front line."

And the neo-con circle jerk in the comment section makes me want to cut off my dick and smoke it, just to numb the pain.

Kurt Schlichter is a Grade A knobhead based on a reading of that article.

I'd even consider smoking your dick too in this case. It's that bad.

See, that's not a detail that's bothering me much. But the whole package is so average... no, way below average if you disregard the pure quality of the visuals.

And I can't even enjoy the visuals because this oh so epic world Cameron has created is just a pile of regurgitated ideas. There's just no substance.

I found ONE thing in the whole movie that I though was somewhat original and that's the concept of these alien-indians being able to connect through their little tentacles to the assets of the world. And even that's not really a novum...

This whole world, the whole concept seems to be thrown together at a 15 minutes (max.) brainstorm. Like "oh we're gonna put out a state of the art CGI fest, so let's scrape some story and context together real fast anybody... but please don't take a chance and be original or try something that puts to much strain on our audience's intellect".

but with that logic there technically isn't much that HASNT already been done. perhaps if they were caterpillar people then it might have been more original in that way, but you can't forget that the way they made isn't solely for the sake of not being original, it was how they were intended to be. Had you been any more satisfied if they were green instead? Do you have a childhood fear of smurfs?