Which 4x12?

tgs

Elder
I'm planning to buy a 4x12 in a not too distant future, but I'm not sure what to go for. A problem I've noticed when I try things out is that I can think that it sounds really good in the store but when I get it down to the studio and put a mic in front of it, it's not how I wanted it at all (speaking in general, and not about 4x12 cabs exclusively)

Right now, we have a 1960BX with 25W greenbacks. I like it a bit but I think it's too fizzy many times. So my idea is to get a cab with V30's. I was looking at Mesa, but they are sooo damn expensive! Especially here in Sweden. So does anyone have any ideas for cabs that may be a bit cheaper but still sound good?

I might add that what I use most of the time is an Engl Fireball, and recently also a 5150. I will soon buy a JCM800 as well.

Has anyone else used the Marshall MF 400? I had to get this over the Mesa cab cuz in Ireland the Mesa cab is €1600!!! Thats more then I paid for the head. I have a Dual Rect. Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with them. The speakers are Celestions that are supposed to be based on the v30's...

i vote for a marshall 1960B. my favorite cab by far. to me v30 speakers have a very harsh high mid response which makes them totally unusable, especially due to my amps being very mid heavy (jcm800 and 5150). but then again, v30s might work for you as you're using a fireball which is way more scooped than my amps.
i don't recommend greenbacks for heavy music, especially if you want to play loud. 25w per speaker just isn't enough for high gain bass heavy amps like todays metal machines.

Engl 412 XXL,Engl E412VG, Orange PPC412... See also Framus dragon cabs.

tgs said:
I'm planning to buy a 4x12 in a not too distant future, but I'm not sure what to go for. A problem I've noticed when I try things out is that I can think that it sounds really good in the store but when I get it down to the studio and put a mic in front of it, it's not how I wanted it at all (speaking in general, and not about 4x12 cabs exclusively)

Right now, we have a 1960BX with 25W greenbacks. I like it a bit but I think it's too fizzy many times. So my idea is to get a cab with V30's. I was looking at Mesa, but they are sooo damn expensive! Especially here in Sweden. So does anyone have any ideas for cabs that may be a bit cheaper but still sound good?

I might add that what I use most of the time is an Engl Fireball, and recently also a 5150. I will soon buy a JCM800 as well.
Have you not heard Andy's Mic/cabinet AB samples?

Krank cab man.

Krank. With an Audix i5.

Fragle said:
i vote for a marshall 1960B. my favorite cab by far. to me v30 speakers have a very harsh high mid response which makes them totally unusable, especially due to my amps being very mid heavy (jcm800 and 5150). but then again, v30s might work for you as you're using a fireball which is way more scooped than my amps.
i don't recommend greenbacks for heavy music, especially if you want to play loud. 25w per speaker just isn't enough for high gain bass heavy amps like todays metal machines.

errrrrr nah

:erk:

dabhoys said:
Has anyone else used the Marshall MF 400? I had to get this over the Mesa cab cuz in Ireland the Mesa cab is €1600!!! Thats more then I paid for the head. I have a Dual Rect. Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with them. The speakers are Celestions that are supposed to be based on the v30's...

i have a marshall mode four inc the mf 400 cab. i hate the amp cause when i stand in front of it it sounds really muddy and shit ><! i tried out a mesa and a engl. both better !!

Andy Sneap said:
errrrrr nah

:erk:

although the fact that the master himself disagrees with my opinion makes me feel rather uncomfortable :) , i just know from first hand experience that vintage 30 speakers do not work for me. when playing live gigs we never bring our own cabs, and therefore i've played through a lot of cabs by now. the basic 1960A/B with 75w celestions is the one that in a live situation sounds best to my inferior ears.

Fragle said:

If I were to have only one speaker type to use for recording, it would be the V30. I've heard this harsh midrange theory from several people, but I just can't figure it out. I've used V30's with the following amps, and had excellent results:

82 Marshall JMP2203
THD Univalve
THD Bivalve
THD Flexi-50
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Bogner Ecstasy Classic
Bogner Uberschall
Bogner Shiva
Mesa MKIII

And some others I'm forgetting... Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Fragle said:
never liked those marshall cabs. i love V30's and i don't use "scooped" settings or an Engl amp. this "harsh hi mid" issue i'm not having though.

A Mesa 2x12, hmmm... That might be the way to go. I will only use it in the studio anyway so 4x12 might be an overkill. Has anyone tried these and maybe compared them to a 4x12?

Regarding 1960A/B, we used to have one and it was good. Although nothing spectacular. The 1960BX that we have now is pretty good in my ears (I think the reason we have it is that they use it in Studio Underground and my collegue is a sucker for that sound), but it's a bit discriminating when it comes to amps. The Engl sounds good in it, but I don't like the 5150 much through it for example. So I want an alternative, that preferrably sounds pretty different to the BX, and not only subtle.

Fragle said:

Im in totaly disagreement on this.

Besides hes talking about for recording and not live. If you use that much low end in a recording session the mix would be muddier than the waters of loch ness.

As far as choices, i really dig the Krank with an Audix i5 right now. If thats a bit pricey find a used marshall 1960b with some V30's pair that with the audix aswell and you should be very hapy.