Which band got you into metal?

Fleischwolf

Carnis Lupus
Jan 5, 2002
Österreich - Austria
Visit site
well, for me it was metallicas black album, quite classical!:D
i bought panteras "far beyond driven" before, but back then i never got into it, the vocals were to extreme for my innocent ears!:)
after the black album I bought metallicas really great albums:justice, master of puppets, ride the lightning! that really got me into thrash metal like whiplash, megadeth, anthrax, flotsam & jetsam! the first band with extreme vocal style i really liked was in flames! from there i got into melodic death and folkblackmetal! of course i also listen to other music: some folk, new wave, synthiemusic, classical! it has to touch me inside though!

so now you!:D :) :D :)

Def Leppard- Hysteria. The first album I ever bought- I guess I was just damned right from the start :D
First Death metal was Deicide- Once Upon the Cross :headbang:. Recommended to me as a gentle intro to the scene, and hey, it worked (it ain't that gentle, though :lol: )
First Black Metal was Cradle of Filth- Principal of evil made flesh. I'd never heard anything like it, the use of keyboards and everything, I thought it was amazing!
First Doom was My Dying Bride- The Angel & the Dark River. That was a life changing event.

Those days...

I remember listening to Guns n' Roses when I was 11, and since Metallica(black album days) were their rival I listened to them too and that's were it all started, I bet half the people here started listening to Metallica

same story as fleishwolf!!! :wow:

and well as for death metal (which I hated actually)
my first album that got me addicted to swedish death metal was a promo of At The Gates - Slaughter of the soul

For me, it was Corrosion of Conformity.

I saw them on tv when I was 11, and was totally amazed. They changed my taste in music. :)

Well, in the late 80s (I was about 10), I listened to Def Leppard, GnR, Metallica, on the radio, just like everybody else. And I just loved the black album (I didn't own it, but the videos and tracks on TV and radio were great).

My sophmore year of high school (I was 15), a friend of mine made me listen to the old metallica albums, and that just got me hooked. Puppets and Justice. Glorious. So I started with those, expanded into Alice in Chains, Megadeth (Forclosure of a dream was the first metal song I learned to play on guitar).

I started to watch Headbangers Ball (RIP) and by the end of Junior year, I started to get into Morbid Angel (Rapture and God of Emptiness videos) and Carcass (Heartwork video) because of HBB. And I started expanding my horizons there.... Mostly just Cannibal Corpse (The Bleeding).

Senior year, I roomed with a friend who used to room with a metalhead, so he got me into Sepultura (Chaos AD) and Manowar (The Triumph of Steel).

The next year (my first year at university) I have no clue what I did. I lived with a guy who was into Michael Jackson, so I heard a lot of that... and it's not bad, actually.

Anyway, my 2nd and 3rd year, I lived with a friend from High School who was also into metal and football. His metal knowledge (and collection) was much more limited than mine, but when he got bored, he'd get on the net and look for new bands to get into. The first real find was My Dying Bride (Angel), which was the beginning of our journey into all flavors of Doom. I absolutely LOVED the violin, so we looked for other bands with interesting instruments and eventually stumbled on Theatre of Tragedy (Velvet Darkness...) That soprano-death vox was brand spanking new then and I gobbled it up.

Then, he found a band in the same town as our university named Ember (don't know if it's the same one that you can get albums of...) But we got in contact with them, and I hung with them a bit, and they tried to get me into true BM... Darkthrone, and what not. But I wouldn't have it. But I started getting into Dawn, Abigor, From the Depths, and Ulver.

About this time (Well, February 20th, 1998 to be exact), a Philosophy professor (!) at university got together a group that would get together once a month and listen to metal. Each person would bring some CDs and we'd listen to 2 or 3 tracks of each CD to get exposure, which is always the hard part when it comes to underground music. And that is how I got into Power Metal, Sludge Doom, OPETH and most of the other bands I listen to now.

The group is still going strong. We just had our 40th meeting last Friday. We've named ourselves C-U in Hell! (C-U is for Champaign-Urbana, the town the university is in). We've even put out 4 compilations of tracks we like for ourselves. Comp 5 is currently in the works. Over the past 4 years, we've listened to about 830 CDs in about 200 HOURS of listening time. Of those 830 CDs, it comes to about 755 UNIQUE discs of about 470 artists. You can check up on C-U in Hell at http://www.brutalmetal.com/CU-Metal/index.html. It's mostly just got the playlists of the meetings and the cover art of our compilations. The Cover for #4 kicks ass!

OK, that took far too long...

Ozzy Osbourne, and after that it was Metallica, then it was Pantera, then after that many bands came in. And now, about a band a day come in. It's crazy. I love metal though. Techno is ok. I really listen to all types of metal, except "nu metal"!

I guess it all started by listening to music with my parents, well, i guess more my dad, when i was younger...

I always liked Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, which led to Ozzy's solo stuff, Dio, Maiden, Metallica and the endless stream of music that follows to this day......

My mother on the other hand listened to some 'softer' rock, though she did like Zeppelin, the Who, etc..., but listened to bands like Bruce Springsteen, whom I do like.....

ok, i'll stop rambling

I got into grunge when I was maybe 11...then in 94 (at 12) I got my hands on UNder the Moonspell by Moonspell, on Adipocre Records, and that changed my perspective on music. That week I picked up Testament's Low, Fear Factory's Soul of a New Machine, and Sepultura's Arise. I was damned from then on! :cool:
In 8th grade (95) I got some Mayhem and the likes, and I 've been a BM freak since (going on 7 years!). First heard VIntersorg in 2000 (?) after I bought Till Fjalls at Milwaukee metalfest. Within a week I had all his albums!

Ok, I started out with Ozzy, Queensryche, Motley Crue, Stryper, Iron Maiden and Megadeth as a youngan. I was like 5, so this was in like 87. My uncles got me into this shit. After that I liked some Metallica, Anthrax, Sepultura, Slayer, Rush, AC/DC and Pantera had just started to come around... I was like 8 years old and rocking out this major hardcore shit. So then, Pantera, Prong, Corrosion of Conformity, Ugly Kid Joe's first album [I was like 10, gimme some credit], Testament in the early 90's...

In the mid 90's... Fear Factory, In Flames, At The Gates, Carcass, White Zombie, Sick of it All, Bio Hazard, Pantera...

and NOW.. Opeth, Arch Enemy, The Haunted, In Flames, Nevermore, Soilwork, Borknagar and all that shit.

There's my evolution.

J

I first listened to GN'R when I was 13. I remember that I seriously hated Axl's voice :yuk: :yell: - but the guitar, the guitar!! :loco: :hotjump:
I also used to listen to Bon Jovi, Aerosmith and Roxette ... :eek: :oops: and not to forget Army Of Lovers :lol: :)
but that was it, any other bands were not so my taste.
then the time of my musical voidness came :oops: grunge wasn't interesting to me :bah: and the whole rock/metal stuff wasn't either cos I wouldn't know of any bands that would appeal to me. :confused: :cry:
but finally, return on the right way for opacity :D I cannot say in what year it was; but I remember well the song I listened to: Paradise Lost "Yearn for change", got that (old) album "Draconian Times" and then all went from alone: I went to (underground bands) concerts, started to go to pubs, "discovered" new bands for me (which I still do ;) :devil: ), etc. - all this isn't that long ago, actually.... *think*

My first metal album was S&M of Metallica. When I heard that I would all their albums. They where my favorite band.
Then it was Iron maiden. I own The Best of the Beast first. And Guns 'N Roses were one of my favorites too.

I began with "heavy" music like Nirvana and so on...
6-7 years ago my brother listened to alot of metal, so i got to hear alot of it here at home.
He listened much to Slayer and i liked what i heard, so i started listening to them more and now i have liked them for 5-6 years and they are just the gods! They will always be my favourite band. The riffs, the songs, the drumming: everything with Slayer is magic!!

:headbang:

I started listen to metal music in the early 80´s, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Maiden, Saxon... I can make this list go on forever. Nowadays i listen to all kind of metal music and even some Johnny Cash.:Smokedev:

Not being THAT old like some of you ( ;) You know how to take it, right? ;) ) I came to metal only "recently" - about 5 years ago, I think, first metal band I was into were Iced Earth and Blind Guardian I think, and they still are amongst my favs :p

Metallica and Guns 'n' Roses were the first I listened to. -But I don't think there's one special band that really got me INto metal, cause it came very naturally, gradually. I got to hear about all the different things from my brothers and cousins. Lots of metallers in my family, you see :D :headbang: But Vintersorg was my first definite favourite!

Hmm...I think I can blame our lovely neighbours me being into metal nowadays. I was very young, around 4 I think, when my family moved to an apartment house, and in the next door lived two metalheads. I've always been curious, so I decided to get to known to them. I went to see them every day actually :D (pain in the ass, that's me) and they played me music like Testament, Megadeath, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden etc. and I liked what I heard. Well, I liked more their long hair :p
Then we moved again, and again...and I "forgot" metal for a while. Until I got into punk, around 11. Few years went by listening to Bad Religion, Rancid, Nofx, Pennywise, Green Day, The Offspring etc. Then one day I decided to download samples from a band which name I had heard, but which music I hadn't heard. And that band was Dark Tranquillity.
And ever since I've been into metal again. I had to shorten this a bit...