Which band got you into metal?

Originally posted by YMIR
My first metal album was S&M of Metallica. When I heard that I would all their albums. They where my favorite band.

Sweet merciful crap. You're lucky that you listened to S&M and then the rest of their albums (if I'm reading it right). For I cannot understand how any sane person would like S&M after liking their early albums. They were successfully able to take ALL of the energy out of some great songs.

I don't agree. I like some songs on S & M more then on early albums. example: I like Call of Ktulu more then on Ride the Lighting. Same for Nothing Else matters and Bleeded Me.

I started early, I was 5 and Uriah Heep's Lady in Black was my fave song, this song got me into rock music, later I was listening to bands like AC / DC, Girlschool, etc... with 7 I had my walls full of posters. I remember when Iron Maiden started...
With 12 I wanted to get a guitar myself, but I got a sewing machine instead :cry: with the words "Girls don't play guitars". Damn... my mom tried her best to get me away from this sort of music... well she lost the battle in the end. :D

Started with Motley Crue "Decade of Decadence".....later the Black Album (wouldnt ya know it!), then a friend I carpooled with played me "Arise" by Sepultura, and around this time I discovered Slayer, and by then it was all over...soon my tastes went from Death to At the Gates to Cynic to Mahavishnu Orchestra to Chick Corea......in which I eventually became a "pseudo-jazz snob" for a time, I guess. Then one day I happened upon an album called "Whoracle" and my faith in good metal was restored...

But all music's cool with me, as long as it's played from the heart. I may not understand it but if there's soul behind it, it's fine with me :)

It's funny, I remember when I first heard Opeth just after they'd released "Morningrise", I saw the CD in a store, hadn't seen it before anywhere, liked the cover and decided to buy it. I played it in my car on the way home thinking that it was just mediocre! How quickly our tastes will change sometimes ;)

Originally posted by J the TyranT
.... sheesh, and Skid Row
I just can't abide this voice :yuk: :devil: but I really DO like Subhuman Race! :loco: everybody tells me that this one is THE worst album ever from them, but it's the only one I'm not ashamed of to admit I know Skid Row :p :heh:

Soundgarden may not be metal, but they were my first exposure to heavier music... but as for metal, I credit Amorphis as being the one that really drew me into the genre with their wonderful song "Black Winter Day."

Originally posted by Morgana
I started early, I was 5 and Uriah Heep's Lady in Black was my fave song, this song got me into rock music, later I was listening to bands like AC / DC, Girlschool, etc... with 7 I had my walls full of posters. I remember when Iron Maiden started...

jeeeeeeez!!!!! when I was 7 I was complaining because my star wars toy didn't bend the way I expected them to bend!!!
then I understand you remember IM beginings!!!!!
if I'm not discourteous to ask, are you about 26 morgana??

fathervic (who actually spent all his life complaining about star wars toys elasticity :rolleyes: )

GnR mixed with metallica :D
i also somehow feel cool about the fact that i got into metal by myself....my brother hated and still hates this music,while my friends back then thought i was just going nutz
:cool:

I remember liking Metallica when I was young but I really started getting into metal after a friend of mine played me some Cannibal Corpse. On the same tape was Napalm Death and Anal Cunt.

Hi,
I just began to hear of metal when i was eleven or twelve. I was a huge aerosmith fan , and then my cousin sent me an Iron Maiden tape and a Dream Theater. I was like "hey this is just the coolest stuff i ever heard !!!!" i used to listen this tapes every day [i was not in France at this time] and when i came back i bought an Iron Maiden live and a Trust (old hard rock band) and the it was the start of the story....:)

Phil

Originally posted by opacity

I just can't abide this voice :yuk: :devil: but I really DO like Subhuman Race! :loco: everybody tells me that this one is THE worst album ever from them, but it's the only one I'm not ashamed of to admit I know Skid Row :p :heh:

Only song I dug on SR was "Eileen" or some shit like that. I only liked Youth Gone Wild, Monkey Business, Slave to the Grind and 18 and life.. then again I was like... 10... back when that shit came out. Plus the drummer from Skid Row was a family friend cuz he jammed in my dad's band before Skid Row and all that shit.

The NY/NJ area is huge... but small at the same time....

J

ack, I dont dig them.

J

This song makes me wanna drive fast, cross-check people.. and break things.

Originally posted by FatherVic

jeeeeeeez!!!!! when I was 7 I was complaining because my star wars toy didn't bend the way I expected them to bend!!!
then I understand you remember IM beginings!!!!!
if I'm not discourteous to ask, are you about 26 morgana??

fathervic (who actually spent all his life complaining about star wars toys elasticity :rolleyes: )

26? *LOL* would be nice to be that age again :)
Actually I'll be 36 end of August... *Morgana isn't old, just older* ;)

Hmmm, well I've always been a rock chiq! :eek:)
From the age of twelve I started going through
my father's recordcollection, and found some
great bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple etc :eek:)
Also listened to blues, soul, classical music,
popish music like Beatles...

Then my neighbour introduced me to Metallica
and Kiss. I remember my stepbrother listened to
Kiss, but I didn't like them, I was too young,
around five >:eek:P

But I think it must have been Metallica...
I remember listening to them asking "Where are
all the other bands sounding like this!??? THERE
HAS TO BE SOME!!?" And I started listening to
this blackmetal show on the radio... It was too
br00tal for me, but it was a start... Then I finally
got the internet and I found my world :eek:)

Going from rock, to numetal, to goth/doom,
to just any metal genre there is :eek:)

It was too br00tal for me
:lol:

Nothing is too br00tal for you! You're tr00

Ok... Everyone load your crossbows, reload your guns, and get your rock throwing arms ready, the band that got me into metal was limp bizkit

I listened to pop from age five to nine, then I stopped listening to music until I was like eleven or twelve, and limp bizkit got me into numetal around then, then after two years of numetal I found Opeth... the rest is history.