Music That Got You Into Metal

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
Presumably if you're reading this forum, you're into metal- but what were the bands that won you over?

In my case, it was Pink Floyd that got me into progressive rock (and just rock in general...) in the first place, and then a bunch of shitty metalcore (KSE, mostly) lead to me discovering Dream Theater and In Flames. From there I headed on into Maiden, Dragonforce, Arch Enemy, and Mastodon, until I finally heard Opeth and got hooked.

BTW, I still like a number of those bands (Floyd, Maiden, and Dream Theater, mostly), but I'm happily over the whole metalcore/nu-metal thing :puke:

Anyway, what about you guys?

Pink Floyd > Porcupine Tree > Opeth, Damnation > Blackwater Park then i was hooked. Only metal band i listend to before that was Megadeth

hmm... search functions down for me but im sure ive seen a thread exactly like this before. anyway:

system of a down > the butterfly effect > disturbed > a perfect circle > tool > opeth.

now its branched out a little more:)

My dad used to play a lot of AC/DC, Peter Frampton, Led Zeppelin, lot's of classic rock. I always liked that and I used to hear my older brother listening to Metallica's "Black Album". That was probably the first metal that I liked. I eventually got all their shit and that's pretty much all I listened to until I discovered other thrash bands. I also went back to some of the stuff my dad used to play when I was really little. Eventually I got into Tool, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, The Mars Volta, etc. Then I went heard Lamb of God and eventually got used to screaming/growling vocals and it wasn't too much longer before I heard To Bid You Farewell. The rest is pretty much history or so they say.

George Michael

but really, NIN, Minstry, Tool for for the beginning of my musical journey, then onto Megadeth for metal and Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy and others for Death Metal.

Never liked nu-metal, even as a teen i hated that stuff. The first rock band that i enjoyed was Guns'n'Roses, my dad gave me the appetite for destruction cassete, now i can't stand them and i think they stink. Right after that, when i was 14/15 i discovered Rush and Led Zeppelin, as well as stuff Like Alice in Chains and Faith no More then those gateway heavy bands like Sepultura, Slayer, Biohazard, Machine Head, etc...but Sabbath, Priest and Megadeth were the first classic metal that i got into. I felt so much interest in discovering more heavy music, so i found bands like Nevermore, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Opeth, etc...at the same time i always tried to stay tuned on what was happening in other music styles

back in time, about 1990: Scorpions, Alice Cooper

then:
--> Metallica, Helloween, Iron Maiden --> Running Wild, Slayer, Obituary, King Diamond, Candlemass, Blind Guardian --> Dissection, Dark Funeral, Therion, Paradise Lost, Tiamat, Moonspell, Anathema --> Enslaved, Masters Hammer, Tristania, Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, In The Woods, Arcturus --> Primordial, Orphaned Land, Madder Mortem, Nevermore, Behemoth --> Root, The Provenance, Pain Of Salvation, Nile, Alchemist, Wuthering Heights, Secrets Of The Moon

I was never a real music listener, but I liked all the stuff on MTV up till age 12 or so. Then I borrowed my brothers Black Album, and at the same time a friend gave me Brave New World. After about a year of Maiden and Metallica, I broadened out a bit to Iced Earth, Opeth, Dream Theater, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Orphaned Land and so on. And here I am 8 or so years later.

Started when I was 13-14 with radiorock shite like Creed and Linkin Park, getting into Metallica and Maiden + some nu-metal cockery like Godsmack. In 9th grade I got one In Flames and one CoB CD sent to me by a friend. Kept listening to those and got into more and more brutal and diverse music. I went to a Dismember gig without having heard them before and realized what real metal is about. In 2002 In Flames decided to release RTR which in weeks made me hate the band completely.

Around 2003 I got into Opeth's BWP which led me to a bunch of my favourite bands like Katatonia, Porcupine Tree and the Swan&#246; stuff. Also discovered Nevermore, they frequented my playlist since. After perhaps a year and a half of only listening to metal I started getting into the whole depressive scene with Anathema, Antimatter etc. leading to a bunch more great bands.

a shitty MIDI file of metallica - master of puppets when i was 11. I was looking for Duke Nukem tunes and somehow got that one. Thought it was so damn cool, and it sounded nothing like metal. Just a really great composition :p

That has to be one of the most bizarre ways to begin a journey into metal :lol:

For me, it was Metallica's black album, Black Sabbath's s/t, Opeth's Blackwater Park and Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory.

Stuff like Nirvana, Alice in Chains got me into heavier music but the 1st metal band I listened to was probably Metallica and Opeth and from then on got more brutal, Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus, Napalm Death. Then more bands came along the way.
Lets not forget I was listening to Marylin Manson at the age of about 8