Music That Got You Into Metal

My dad played a lot of Zeppelin, Cream, Mountain, Jethro Tull, Vanilla Fudge, etc. when I was a kid.

Then, the major milestones: Van Halen/Def Leppard/Quiet Riot > Ozzy > Iron Maiden > Metallica/Anthrax/Megadeth > Pantera > (college was sort of a break with the only notable, though only vaguely "metal" being NIN and Ministry) > Blind Guardian/Gamma Ray > Iced Earth > Opeth

Since then, it's harder to track

i was only listening to classical music until 10th grade or so. Then I got an album by a Turkish metal band, Pentagram. I liked it quite a bit. I quickly bought Sepultura - Arise. Orphaned Land - Sahara was one of the first albums I got. Then Metallica, Maiden etc. Opeth came a few years later.

I had mostly listened to rap and stuff, but was not interested in the mainstream stuff at all, but started listening to some rock like Muse, The Killers, Rise Against which I liked better than any of that nu-metal or pop-rock stuff, then I saw a video for Unearth - Zombie Autopilot and I though the song was awesome with the solos and acoustic parts and stuff, then I got some metal comps and stuff and started listening to heavier bands, also I got a death metal dvd which introduced me to some good bands

now I almost completely avoid mainstream stuff, and I am getting into different forms of music like classical, prog, heavy and thrash metal as well as black/death/doom

hmm... search functions down for me but im sure ive seen a thread exactly like this before.

it was my thread.

Floyd>Queen>whitesnake, alice cooper>Iron Maiden>WASP>motorhead>metallica>slayer>anthrax, overkill, testament, kreator, destruction, celtic frost, suicidal tendencies, coroner, sabat>morbid angel, death etcetcetc >opeth

it started with Kiss, Motorhead, AC/DC and Iron Maiden when I was around 8. also knew led Zeppelin, Mothers Finest, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson airplane etc... then I got into new wave and a bit of punk and industrial music but also Van Halen,even Europe and Sebastian bach. then came Metallica, Living Colour, Bad Religion, 24-Spyz, Pantera, Suicidal Tendecies, Sepultura, SOD, Nine Inch Nails, Type O Negative, a lot of grungebands (still got a weak spot for Stone Temple Pilots, alice in Chains and soundgarden). then a few years I was more into jazz and big band, and terror house. after my divorce I went back to my roots and got around 300+ metal CDs, old and new stuff.

Korn> Marilyn Manson (antichrist superstar)> Metallica ( Kill em all)> Slayer (reign in blood)> then a whole bunch of metal from Megadeth to Opeth \m/

it started with Kiss, Motorhead, AC/DC and Iron Maiden when I was around 8. also knew led Zeppelin, Mothers Finest, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson airplane etc... then I got into new wave and a bit of punk and industrial music but also Van Halen,even Europe and Sebastian bach. then came Metallica, Living Colour, Bad Religion, 24-Spyz, Pantera, Suicidal Tendecies, Sepultura, SOD, Nine Inch Nails, Type O Negative, a lot of grungebands (still got a weak spot for Stone Temple Pilots, alice in Chains and soundgarden). then a few years I was more into jazz and big band, and terror house. after my divorce I went back to my roots and got around 300+ metal CDs, old and new stuff.

nice list. 24-7 spyz rocked.
Type O negative got me back into metal actually....new album in march.

From Green Day to Nirvana to Metallica to Sepultura/Pantera then had a bit of a nu metal phase then to Slayer to Children of bodom then to Opeth although I have always liked lots of other styles too

Radiohead > Metallica and The Melvins > Opeth.

So really my first 'metal' band was Metallica (though I never listen to them anymore) and to a lesser extent it was The Melvins, but that prog-rock sound of Radiohead is what really helped.

Metallica Kill 'em All & Ride the Lightning, and a little college station called Lock 88 that played metal all the time (Altars of Madness and Reign in Blood Deicide - Deicide, Death - Leprosy, etc etc)

That has to be one of the most bizarre ways to begin a journey into metal :lol:

Haha it is rather bizarre. But damn i must've listened to that midi file a couple times a day every day for like a couple months. This was before mp3 trading so there was no hope of me getting the original. It was pretty surprising when i actually heard how it was supposed to sound ;p

my timeline:

ages 3-10 : oldies & 80's pop
ages 11-14 : classic rock, metal, folk, blues, hip hop/rap
ages 15-19: underground metal, hardcore, progressive rock, indie
ages 20-present: jazz, electronica, ambient, post rock, everything else.

nice list. 24-7 spyz rocked.
Type O negative got me back into metal actually....new album in march.

they even asked me to join them on their european tour! but I didnt do it... was too afraid to travel through europe with a band, man... STUPID STUPID STUPID! but then again, what do you think they would have done with a young innocent girl: use her as a roadie or ask her to get coffee? lol
there's still a picture of me on the back of the singer on stage during that concert; saw it in a musicmagazine.
anyway, looking forward to Type O's new stuff, among others. I think that 2007 will be a great year musicalwise!

I bought the magazine and showed it to all my friends but I didnt ask a copy of the original - I told you I was a stupid and innocent girl. I was 20 then, so many moons ago. I truly enjoyed the 80s and 90s, a lot of new and inspiring bands. one day you'd go to Public Enemy, the next day to The Sugarcubes with a terrific young Bjork, the week after to Slayer and Bruce Springsteen! I went to college then but also did some parttime work so that I could go to concerts every single week. my mother made sure I had food to eat, lol