Which band got you into metal?

I listened to GNR and Metallica's black album but it was Alice in Chains who got me into the darker side of things. Slowly, I became more interested in darker things and got into Goth and Industrial but found gothic metal (Evereve) more interesting. Death (Death, duh), Black (Samael) and Doom (My Dying Bride) soon joined.
Now I'm deep into Extreme, Progressive and Synth Metal with In The Woods (RIP), Katatonia, Samael, Evereve, Green Carnation and Andromeda.

am I the only one whose first metal record was a brutal underground death/grind demotape?
well a few years back one of the guys in my class had a brother who helped a local death/grind band out at the second guitar. the guy in my class gave me a demo tape of this band someday...I hadn't heard any death metal before and almost no metal. but I wasn't frightened by the vocals (extremely deep and sinister, it was/is one of the most extreme bands of this area) or the fast drums (they were like those of Nasum for example, but the songs were longer ~4 minutes each). I listened to this demo several times (the sound quality was total crap) and noticed in what a cool way the power and agression of the music was combined with some melody (yup, there were traces of melody) and I noticed that the songs had lots of interesting parts...to sum it up...I liked it alot. (but when I was at home I only listened to it through headphones ;))

well, as we both left the school I lost contact with this guy, it didn't really matter, because we didn't talk about metal anyway...he just new that I liked the demo and that was it. but I didn't know any metal bands...I only had this one 20 minute-long demo. after 4 or 5 months I eventually did some research on the web and found several metal sites. I instantly got into doom metal; My Dying Bride was my first band (still my favourites ever) then a month later, just when their fourth album had come out, I got into Opeth, then Anathema, Morbid Angel, Amon Amarth, Dying Fetus, Hate Eternal, Dismember and later all the swedish melodic death stuff...

nowadays my favourite bands are Solefald, Enslaved, Green Carnation, Drawn, Katatonia, Shape of Despair, Borknagar (Emipricism)...well and because I liked Vintersorg's performance on Borknagar (and because somebody suggested me the band) I just began to get into Vintersorg...

and besides that I just noticed that I use way tot many brackets :lol:

Well, many of us are around our twenities aren´t we...;) I guess we have most ages, but then again I don´t know, guess Fjelltussa is the only one with the knowledge that is available (thinking about that birthday list)

-phyros (thinking age is irrelevant, always have, and always will)

@Morg... Well, me posts when I got the time...;) and that is very deppending on how my studying is going, anyways, feels great to be appriciated, but the long version will have to wait, since I am on my way to the large sea of Kattegatt and sit in the sun, drinking beer and feel just as good as I deserve!

-phyros

Originally posted by Phyros
@Morg... Well, me posts when I got the time...;) and that is very deppending on how my studying is going, anyways, feels great to be appriciated, but the long version will have to wait, since I am on my way to the large sea of Kattegatt and sit in the sun, drinking beer and feel just as good as I deserve!

-phyros

Have fun

Originally posted by Phyros
Well, many of us are around our twenities aren´t we...;) I guess we have most ages, but then again I don´t know, guess Fjelltussa is the only one with the knowledge that is available (thinking about that birthday list)

I have constructed a BDay list, and of the people that put down years, it's about half below 20 yrs and half above.

From I was very young ;) I was listening very much to Iron Maiden (cause of my brothers) and liked it a lot :)
So it came more and more into MSG, Judas priest, Tad Morose and such..now my favorite group is metal band Sentenced ...wich is a KILLER band >:)