Music That Got You Into Metal

Up until high school was Christian music. Rock and pop stuff. Audio Adrenaline, dc Talk, Newsboys, etc. Then I was into AFI a heck of a lot. Then it was to System of a Down. From there I went into punk, hardcore, metal, and now pretty much anythign that sounds good.

I only started listening to music when I was 16. In the first year or two I got into Pink Floyd, some jazz esp fusion like Chick Corea + Return to Forever, electronica, and alt rock like Tool. I wanted something heavy but with intricate guitars, found Opeth, and the rest was history.

queen ( when i was around 7 ) -> kiss -> ozzy -> iron maiden ( then that stuck for a good 5 years of listening to nothing but that and judas priest) -> pop punk ( offspring, millencolin, etc) -> nu-metal -> more punk (political kind) -> tool ( big turning point in music) -> opeth ( found accidentaly while exploring the "heavyer stuff") -> melo death -> prog -> post rock -> experimental and everything else

hmm. It seems like Dream Theater is the band that gets people into metal and specifically death metal, the band is Opeth.

I went Dream Theater to Symphony X to Opeth.

That was my first metalness.

P.O.D > Linkin Park > System Of A Down > In Flames > Opeth > ALAS!

Oh how I remember.. those days.

I disliked heavy music for a long time. Lateralus and Scenes From A Memory/Train of Thought got me into heavy music...

Classic rock to metal for me.

-Black Sabbath
-Blackfoot
-The outlaws
-Pink Floyd
-Led Zeppelin
-Savoy Brown
-Deep Purple
-Alice cooper
-The doors
-Metallica
-Fear Factory
-Pantera
-Sinister
-Arcturus
-Emperor
-Opeth
-etc............

metallica was the master for me.. then i realized that there were a lot of heavy bands making great music.. now i listen to every kind of music but my favourite is heavy of course.. especially swedish metal! :)