Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lord Of The Rings - The Two Towers

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Stephen King - Rose Madder

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Sydo

Apr 13, 2001
You can vote for more than one if you like.
I'd also like to hear any suggestions you could put forward. :)

Just a quick note on some of the books;

I really didn't enjoy Harry Potter and The Chamber Of Secrets, so I'm sceptical about the next one. :(
Book 1 of the Earthsea Quartet was a let down too. :(
I enjoyed reading The Fellowship Of The Ring more that the movie, but that's not saying much. :(
I love a lot of Tom Clancy's work, but feel it sometimes becomes too political at the expense of action.
I been reading a few X-Files books lately, mainly because they are so small I finish them in a few days, and have quite enjoyed them. I've read Ruins before, but it was a verryy long time ago.
Matthew Riley rules!!
Clive Cussler rules!!
I never read any Stephen King..

Well, I dont know if you like Star Wars, but Heir To The Empire by Timothy Zahn is as good as and in some ways even better than the original 3 movies, it carries on 5 years after ROTJ.
It should be pretty cheap too, its part one of three. Anyway, it rocks, probably the best 3 books I have ever read in my life :)

I dont know which one of those books you listed that you should read, ive never read any of them and havent heard of half of them :)

Star Wars is cool.
I've never read a Star Wars novel though, maybe I should. :)

Timothy Zahn made a villain cooler than Darth Vader, thats all you need to know :)

Those 3 books have Spawnys Royal Seal Of Approval, you shall not be let down should you decide to read them :)

Its fact, George has already said he wont be doing anything after ROTJ, so thats where most of the books have been set and they all had to get approved by Lucasfilm and all that stuff, they range from absolutely brilliant to crap, but those 3 I mentioned are the best ones :)

Harry Potter 3 ROCKS! I was a bit let down with Chamber of Secrets, but Prisoner of Azkaban (or whatever it is!) rules. Then as soon as you read that, get Goblet of Fire because that is an absolutely awesome read.

Originally posted by Spiff
Then as soon as you read that, get Goblet of Fire because that is an absolutely awesome read.

But that looks really thick :eek:

Rose Madder is brilliant, but it's not the best King book to start with if you've never read any before. Try the Green Mile instead

Ruins is quite good, certainly the best of the XF novels on offer. I used to love the show until last season. Now I wouldn't watch it if you paid me.

Can't help you with any of that other stuff I'm afraid, though EVERYONE should read Clive Barker's Books of Blood Vol 1-6. The best short story collections ever published :headbang:

W

I fly through all Harry Potter books because they're so great. Number four is hardly a kid's book, either - quite disturbing in places!

It looks as though I'll be reading Lord Of The Rings as of tonight.
Do'h... ;)

"Lord of the Flies" is a corker, btw. It has the best second-last paragraph in all of literature. Every time I'm in a bookstore and see the book I flick to the last page and read it.

I was going to buy that while I was in the UK, but had already bought far too many books and my bag was a good 10 kilos heavier than when I took it over. Sigh.

Books I DID buy over there:

Fearless Jones - Walter Mosley
Henry V - William Shakespeare
Some book about Kings & Queens of England
How To Be Good - Nick Hornby
Crazy From the Heat - David Lee Roth

I think that's everything... oh, and I bought the Rough Guide to England. Yeah.

I vote for Clive Cussler..iread a few of his books and tehy are always good!

I think Rose Madder is definitely NOT the way to be introduced to Stephen King....definitely one of his weakest books(although it has been a while since i read it)

Seems like most of Stephen King's post-Dark Half stuff is dodgy compared to his 70s and 80s stuff, especially what I call his experimental books (Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne). Bag of Bones is awesome, though, and Desperation is classic King as well (haven't read whatever the other book is that went with that one - can't remember the title offhand!).