Which of our readers plays a musical instrument?

Drivers in the south tend to be a little calmer I think. People are more laid back, and red lights take 10 minutes to change to green.

I guess though, getting a drivers license here is pretty easy. I've never understood how you can pass your test in an automatic, and then be fully licensed to drive a stick shift!? It's like, "what's this third pedal do"?? :lol:

You can't go ANYWHERE without getting the freeway! It takes me 30 minutes to get to my parents or girlfriends house, and they live 7 miles away! Actually I think I would rather move toward the mid-west before relocating in Crapifornia. The only real benefits here are the desert (I'm a desert rat who loves 110+ degree weather) and the fact that I have a chance to see EVERY tour, no matter the band.

Back to music, I'm on the verge of pissing off my neighbors with my 350 watts of sheer power, the urge to crank my amp beyond 1 is too much with my new Sterling. Last night I overcame temptation, but just barely. Come to think of it, I have never cranked that amp past 3 yet... focker's loud. :)

I'll admit that I took my driver's test in an automatic, and I've never driven one since.
blush.gif

NAD said:
That doesn't bother me though, as long as you think through what you are saying I don't mind disagreeing with you.

Was it you and I NAD where we were talking about racists? I agree to your point in that I will even listen to what a right-wing extremist or nazi has to say about his/her views as long as it is backed up, and not forced upon you. In other words, everyone being entitled to their own opinion etc.

There is a scene in American History X where they're all sitting around the dinner table. And then Ed Norton's nazi character starts spurting out all that stuff about blacks and jews in America etc. It's so well written in the script - it actually makes you raise an eyebrow amidst feeling quite disgusted. That's good writing though. :ill:

So back on topic - NAD, you bought a new bass yeah? Did you ever check out Behemoth? They have a great bass player (Novy I think) - slaps the strings to brutal riffs. Really cool. :cool:

I refer back to American History X when I make the argument that if you back up your opinion, even if I wholeheartedly disagree with it, it's valid. And yes, it was you and I that spoke of it, in that damn David Vincent is Gay thread. :lol: Anyhow, in that scene Ed Norton's character is making an excellent, thoroughly thought out argument. I disagree with him, but then again I think "hmmm... he does have a point." So then his girlfriend (that big mouthed chick from The Craft) is backing up the same argument at the same time, but it's obvious that her character has not put the thought process into it and were she making the same identical argument by herself, very few would buy it.

I loooooove my new bass, I have ogled Sterlings for years and I finally broke down and bought one, the feel is incredible but it's about half the size of my P-bass so it still feels funny!!! I haven't checked out Behemoth yet, I've been meaning to do so, especially since I'm so in love with their fellow countrymen Vader right now. And Belvedere Vodka, but that's nothing new. Poland rocks!!! :)

NAD said:
I haven't checked out Behemoth yet, I've been meaning to do so, especially since I'm so in love with their fellow countrymen Vader right now. And Belvedere Vodka, but that's nothing new. Poland rocks!!! :)

Hmmm... that gives me an idea for a new thread.

NAD said:
I refer back to American History X when I make the argument that if you back up your opinion, even if I wholeheartedly disagree with it, it's valid. And yes, it was you and I that spoke of it, in that damn David Vincent is Gay thread. :lol:

Yeah, kind of ruined the Morbid Angel roundtable. My apologies. Please start another if you wish, and we won't say anything about Mr Vincent!

Anyhow, in that scene Ed Norton's character is making an excellent, thoroughly thought out argument. I disagree with him, but then again I think "hmmm... he does have a point." So then his girlfriend (that big mouthed chick from The Craft) is backing up the same argument at the same time, but it's obvious that her character has not put the thought process into it and were she making the same identical argument by herself, very few would buy it.

EXACTLY - but that's what a well written script will do. That girlfriend is so vile, the actress did a good job. She looks like a weirdo with those cat eyes.

Have you seen The Believer? Very good film about a neo Nazi who becomes resentful towards the Jewish. The twist is, he's a jew himself. Very interesting depiction of how someone can become so resentful towards his own people.

I haven't checked out Behemoth yet, I've been meaning to do so, especially since I'm so in love with their fellow countrymen Vader right now. And Belvedere Vodka, but that's nothing new. Poland rocks!!! :)

Let me know if you need a CD-R.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, kind of ruined the Morbid Angel roundtable. My apologies. Please start another if you wish, and we won't say anything about Mr Vincent!
Are you kidding?? That was some of the funniest shit I've ever seen! Didn't go nearly the direction I figured, but it was great!

Haven't seen the Believer, sounds interesting.

Let me check The End for Behemoth... yeah, they carry them I'll pick one up next go around. You could send me a CDR and I'll buy the other one though. :D OOOOHHHH, just found out The End stocks Firebird now, Bill Steer's blues/rock band. Cool, because I didn't want to pay $35 for the Japanese import.

JayKeeley said:
No, I remember that. In Boston, in that CD store in Harvard Square, and you picked it up for a $1 didn't you? And it was still new at the time.

Used CD stores rule. Boston is such a cool old town. New Jersey really is a complete dive when you think about it.

While I *do* like Boston (except for their sports fans, who are complete boors), New Jersey is not a dive! That's just it's undeserved reputation. Most people don't realize that more than 80% of New Jersey is either farmland or woodland. It's really quite beautiful. Everyone's impression of New Jersey is the congested crowded parts near NYC & Philly, which are truly the minority (of land, obviously not of people). And everyone else only sees Newark and the area surrounding the airport, which is just awful.

But really, the Pine Barrens, the Vernon/Sussex area, the beaches, Wildwood & Cape May, there's loads of great things about New Jersey. And in terms of location, it's near-unbeatable. Think about it, you're within a 4 hour drive of 5 major metropolitan areas, the best skiing east of the Mississippi, and the ocean. Who else can say that?

haddsie said:
I've heard that about Cali drivers... and of course that you can't even go to the local deli without getting on the freeway. I think San Fran is really cool, but the weather isn't spectacular (I like it a little warmer) and the people seem so pretentious. Liberal doesn't bother me, it's when people don't accept that their may be an opinion other than their own in the world. It seems like you get that a lot around SF.

Cali drivers rival New York-area drivers for idiocy. But San Francisco is one of the greatest cities on either coast (though still a distant 2nd to NYC). The weather is rough, but it's an even trade. You don't get 90 in summer, but you don't get 20 in winter either. I've worn a jacket to a baseball game in June there. Though lately, I'm hard-pressed to find worse weather than we've been having here in the northeast.

However, if there's one thing the people of SF are NOT, it's pretentious. Some of the most laid-back, "do your own thing" kind of people I've ever met come from SF. But damn, they are liberal! *pukes*

JayKeeley said:
Drivers in the south tend to be a little calmer I think. People are more laid back, and red lights take 10 minutes to change to green.

I guess though, getting a drivers license here is pretty easy. I've never understood how you can pass your test in an automatic, and then be fully licensed to drive a stick shift!? It's like, "what's this third pedal do"?? :lol:

Drivers in the south calmer? Or just *ahem* a little slower, if you catch my drift? As an impatient New Yorker, I'll never forget my first sojourn to the southland. The waitress seemed shocked that we grew tired of waiting for a 2nd round and went to the bar to get it ourselves! After 30 minutes of waiting! People down there are just waaaaaaaaay too slow for me. I need an ocean within 1 hour of where I live.

And I took my drivers license test WITH a manual transmission [insert manly grunting noises].

markgugs said:
However, if there's one thing the people of SF are NOT, it's pretentious. Some of the most laid-back, "do your own thing" kind of people I've ever met come from SF. But damn, they are liberal! *pukes*

The times that I've been there or when I'm with people from there, I get that 'too cool for school vibe'.... like they've gone so laid back they've come full circle. I kind of get the feeling that if I were out to eat with 6 San Franciscans, 3 would be vegans, 2 vegetarians, and the 6th would order fish, and I'd get 'the look' if I ordered a steak. Maybe it's just the people that I've met. Like I said, I have no problem with liberals. I would always consider that a plus if I was deciding where to live.

haddsie said:
:confused: In New Jersey?? Huh??

Like better than Vermont & New Hampshire?

When not taken out of context, the whole sentence makes sense:
Think about it, you're within a 4 hour drive of 5 major metropolitan areas, the best skiing east of the Mississippi, and the ocean. Who else can say that?

Within a 4 hour drive of New Jersey IS Vermont! :)

markgugs said:
While I *do* like Boston (except for their sports fans, who are complete boors), New Jersey is not a dive! That's just it's undeserved reputation. Most people don't realize that more than 80% of New Jersey is either farmland or woodland. It's really quite beautiful. Everyone's impression of New Jersey is the congested crowded parts near NYC & Philly, which are truly the minority (of land, obviously not of people). And everyone else only sees Newark and the area surrounding the airport, which is just awful.

But really, the Pine Barrens, the Vernon/Sussex area, the beaches, Wildwood & Cape May, there's loads of great things about New Jersey. And in terms of location, it's near-unbeatable. Think about it, you're within a 4 hour drive of 5 major metropolitan areas, the best skiing east of the Mississippi, and the ocean. Who else can say that?

Don't get me wrong - we specifically chose to live here (although we're technically in NY I guess) because of the locality. Easy to get to the best city in the world IMO, Manhattan, easy to get to Phili and DC, and easy to get to New England. And of course lots of airports, and easy access to Europe.

And NJ does have some beautiful areas, yes, and NJ and NY are unbeatable in the fall - although I hear Washington State is also stunning in October.

The thing I do not like about NJ though is that all the architecture is an eyesore. They built everything up in the 60's and 70's way too quickly and with little thought. The roads are horrible (like route 17), and the buildings (stores/offices etc) all look like big boxes. Kind of like K-Mart mini-architecture.

Boston though...oh man, that is a beautiful location - not just the city, but even the outskirts. Sure there are some dodgy parts that come at you from nowhere (although not to the extent of what Phili is like for example), but for the most part it is very picturesque. NJ needs a 'Boston' or a 'Chicago' equivalent I think, because I think it's become too dependent on NYC to become its main backyard. It would be great if they could clean up Jersey City for example, or expand out Hoboken?

markgugs said:
When not taken out of context, the whole sentence makes sense:

Within a 4 hour drive of New Jersey IS Vermont! :)

Oh, sorry. I swear, I didn't get that. I read it like 50 times to see if I had misunderstood something. :Spin:

markgugs said:
Think about it, you're within a 4 hour drive of 5 major metropolitan areas, the best skiing east of the Mississippi, and the ocean. Who else can say that?
Eh? What drugs are you on you clutz? Since when are you the ocean loving person and you never mentioned anything about your passion for skiing! I think most of the time you like to make things up, to make your life more important than it already is :tickled:

NJ is one of those places that you live for a couple of years and then move on. It's not exactly a get up and go place and I do find the architecture to be such an eye-sore. Did they employ a retard to design the shops? Coz hey sure look like buildings for retards, all single storey. :tickled:

Chief B

ps. I used to play the violin for 4 years and was very good. I played bass for two years and gave up after I mastered a Steve Harris playing style of "The Trooper".

It took me awhile to post here because it's a sore subject.. I've been ina few bands, starting back in my freshmen year at high school. Started playing drums, jammed with a guy, we did covers of "Creeping Death" and "Mandatory Suicide." Wrote some songs that we never did much with, we were like Darkthrone I guess you could say.... stopped jamming together, started jamming with another friend of mine, Tesla, Van Halen, George Lynch, Nuno Bettencourt type guitarist, extremely bad ass. Jammed with him for a few years, then I started singing and me and him did a project together with some other guys, played some shows, got a good response, band folded. He now plays in Austin in a jazz project and we are talking about working on some material. He has an itch to get heavy again, apparently. Me and my friend that I first started jamming with have been talking about putting together a little something as well. :)

Anyways. I moved to Austin, jammed with a death/thrash project, was ousted because I didn't want to sound exactly like Mille from Kreator.. :tickled:

The future looks interesting though. If I can get into a house, I can get a drumkit... I can get some equipment, in case I want to do some vocals and need a mic and PA, etc. Set up a studio or something. I also want a bass so I can write...

For the love of money..... (Bulletboys version) :headbang: