TOP 3 OF YEAR 19XX -- AN RC "THING" OF WHICH YOU CAN BE A PART

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
inspired by the 1997 thread, i thought maybe we should (for fun) post our top 3 (hard rock/metal?) albums from each year?

here's what i'm thinking:

* start at 1980 (because honestly, starting earlier will just be a fuckin mess of judas priest and black sabbath albums everyone knows) and work our way up to present day; but i'm open to suggestions

* allocate a week to each year, in which you have time to:

* post your top 3, or top 5 if you want, or top 10 if you're really ambitious, albums that were first released in that year, with a short blurb about why you like the album (no more than a sentence or two, if you want to write more, however, go ahead)

there's no pressure and no signing up -- every week i will change the year and then you post and discuss your lists in this thread if you want to.

does this sound like fun? i think it sounds pretty good but i'm a little bit drunk so i don't really know.

This sounds like a great idea that can only get better with the addition of alcohol.

okay

let's start this thing then

as i said before, you don't need to sign up and there's no pressure to post if you got nothing. also, i'm gonna say try to make it primarily metal/hard rock albums since that's the main interest of the forums but i'm not going to get mad if you really wanna post stuff from other styles

also, if you want to include a single or live album or demo tape, no probz

i will change the year every saturday until we get to present day

so without further ado:

RC BEST OF 1980
this list contains all full-lengths on metal-archives released in 1980, it might help​

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden ...Maiden never matched the rawness of their first two albums.

Cirith Ungol
- Frost & Fire ...HIGHLY underrated band. Jerry Fogle is one of my favorite guitar soloists of all-time.

Rush - Permanent Waves ...HIGHLY overrated band. They have a few really great songs and are fantastic musicians but most of the music is gay.

Motorhead - Ace of Spades ...Classic album and ridiculously influential. I never got into it too much other than the title track but you cannot deny it's touted status in the history of teh metuhl.

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell ...I know people like this album a lot as well but despite Sabbath easily being one of my favorite bands EVER, I have never gotten into any album outside of the first six ; Black Sabbath through Sabotage.

Judas Priest - British Steel ...Again, I never got into much Priest outside of Sad Wings of Destiny.

Joy Division - Closer ...Great album that I need to revisit very soon.

Van Morrison - Common One ...the last good Van Morrison album.

I must admit, the music I like from 1980 is decidedly non-metal.

But, I still have yet to hear the first Iron Maiden album. *ducks*

Are we just doing 1980 to start? The 3 best?

Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
Angel Witch - S/t
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations

Hawkwind - Levitation
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
3rd place would go to either Black Sabbath or Cirith Ungol... Oh fuck it, Ill nominate Heaven and Hell.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
I actually stand by this as one of my top ten favorite heavy metal albums of all time. While I prefer Dickinson as a vocalist, something about the songs on this album, the pure heavy metal in it, is timeless. Nothing gets me more excited than hearing them finish out their set with "Iron Maiden" live. This album set the standard for both the NWOBHM, and pretty much everything that came after.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
While I think, ultimately, Ozzy-fronted Black Sabbath is the purest Black Sabbath, this album is my favorite album Dio ever sang on. Beginning to end, it is an epic ride and the complement of this band with Dio singing seemed like a perfect match.

Diamond Head Lightning to the Nations
I was not a huge Diamond Head fan initially. I preferred the heavier bands in the NWOBHM. But spending time with this one proved it was pretty damned influential on thrash and heavy metal in general. The NWOBHM is one of my absolute two favorite metal scenes, and I have collected so many albums from that era. Now I can't even stand the Metallica covers, I only I want to hear the original songs.

Angelwitch - Angelwitch
I picked this album up, a Japanese import, when I was fifteen and had begun my obsession with the NWOBHM. It blew my mind. For a few years, I actually convinced myself it was superior to the first two Iron Maiden albums because the riffs were so killer and it just felt so raw. It does not hold up quite as well after decades, but it's a damn fine album. A shame the band was too volatile to have continued on at the time.

Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
I picked this up in high school as well. Metal Blade combination release on cassette. Later, I picked it up on CD. The cassette sounded so much better, so much heavier. Top to bottom, this album fucking rules and I always feel like Cirith Ungol did no get the credit they deserved for being one of the first true American heavy metal bands.

I chose 5 as these 5 are perennial standards in my collection.

im only familiar with the Maiden, Priest, Manilla Road, Sabbath and Def Leppard albums. The MR album is good, but definitely not my fave from them. Same with Maiden and Priest. Sabbath takes the cake. I've learned to like all Sabbath albums despite the singer. Funny thing is, I think Dio is weaker than TOny Martin, Ozzy and Gillan

I like the Maiden for the youthful energy, though. So they get second.

The DL album is OK, but Ive never been able to get past their late 80s/early 90s buttrock

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Imperfect to say the least, but the best of his solo albums, and easily the album from 1980 that I've spent the most time enjoying. Randy Rhoads and Bob Daisley rock on this one.

The Misfits - Beware EP
I've never listened to this material outside of the box set, but I just realized that this was in fact released in 1980. Not metal at all, and I don't even like punk, but I adore this band.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
For whatever reason, I've never actually owned a copy of this. Definitely a better album than what Ozzy did, but at the same time, not quite as charming.

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz Imperfect to say the least, but the best of his solo albums, and easily the album from 1980 that I've spent the most time enjoying. Randy Rhoads and Bob Daisley rock on this one. The Misfits - Beware EP I've never listened to this material outside of the box set, but I just realized that this was in fact released in 1980. Not metal at all, and I don't even like punk, but I adore this band. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell For whatever reason, I've never actually owned a copy of this. Definitely a better album than what Ozzy did, but at the same time, not quite as charming.

Love the misfits. But I'm staying metal only. Otherwise that is #4 on my list

1980 IMO:

1. iron maiden - iron maiden
because honestly, it's iron maiden. the raw feeling and atmosphere to this record really makes it stand out among not only the others in maiden's discography, but in nwobhm as a whole. sure, plenty of other bands were "raw" but there was something to maiden, their attitude and burning ambition (h e h) that was special. i don't know what the fuck else there is to say about this that hasn't been said a thousand times

2. black sabbath - heaven and hell
actually my favourite black sabbath album. there's nothing on this that even remotely sucks, and some of the finest hm songs of all time (children of the sea!). also the sound is REALLY REALLY great, this is one of my "reference" records for good heavy metal production

3. angel witch - angel witch
amazing and epic and i love it. peace.

1. TALKING HEADS - Remain In Light
Their densest and darkest album also happens to be a post-funk masterpiece. Most known for the hit "Once In A Lifetime," it also contains reclusive gems such as "Seen And Not Seen" and the album's closer, "The Overload"--which is the band trying to emulate the sound of Joy Division without ever actually having heard the band (it's true). The combo of the Heads and producer/pseudo-member Brian Eno was tough to beat in the late-70s, but this is where they got it perfect. Same as it ever was.

2. THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS - The Psychedelic Furs
While still retaining the edge of many of their post-punk peers, this band brought something a bit more jazzy and euphoric. Living up to their name, the band's highlights here include the brooding Bowie-esque "Sister Europe," the blast-off opener "India," and the bands darkest song ever, "The Wedding Song."

3. OZZY OSBOURNE - Blizzard Of Ozz
What more needs to be said? Probably the greatest comeback ever. Randy Rhoads. "Mister Crowley." "Crazy Train." The sad-bastard anthem "Goodbye To Romance." This album influenced me early in my metal journey like none other.

Last edited by a moderator: