Which solos does Eric Peterson play?

TempleOfBlood

Dec 31, 2008
I thought I recalled seeing him play the one in "Low" live as well as one in "Disciples of the Watch"?

Can anyone provide a comprehensive list of all the lead breaks he's taken over the years?

Ooh, I don't know if I can break it down. Maybe oneman can lol
But look for the shortest ones until this recent album. Also if you have the liners it says.

I could have sworn the liner notes said who did what. But not on the first two albums. I'll have to check the rest. but they are the short ones.

I would think you could almost tell by his individual tone or sound.

Almost!!!lol!Liner notes are probably the best way,when available.

With the first five albums he did barely anything. When he did, it was mainly the shorter solo in a song (like the first solo in Sins of Omission, if I remember correctly) or an intro to Alex's lead (like on Practice What You Preach). The only exception that comes to mind now is A Dirge where Eric plays the second solo, which is pretty long.

Eric started to do more solos on Low (1994) where he and James Murphy were trading leads. He did the first solo on Legions (in Hiding), the 2nd of the 3 main solos, as well as the intro and outro solos on Trail of Tears, the first solo on Shades of War, the 1st and 3rd solos on All i Could Bleed, the first guitar solo on Urotsukidoji, the 1st solo on Chasing Fear.

He did almost all the lead parts on Demonic (1997), except for the solo on New Eyes of Old, which was played by Glen Alvelais. There isn't much soloing on that album, though.

On The Gathering (1999), Eric co-worked with James once more. Again, there aren't too many solos on this one. I think Eric did Legions of the Dead (the solo was given the name "screaming legions"), Sewn Shut Eyes and Fall of Sipledome. The rest was James'.

When Formation of Damnation (2008) came out, Eric said he did approx. 35% of the album's solos. I can't recall them all now, but he certainly plays one lead on the title track and I think he also does the first solo on Killing Season. Maybe the Evil has Landed too.

I remember him say he did close to 50% on Dark Roots of Earth (2012). I didn't think it was that many. The ones that I can tell off the top of my head are: the second solo in Native Blood, the first solo on Dark Roots of Earth, the first solo on A Day in the Death, the outro harmony theme solo on Man Kills Mankind, the outro solo on Throne of Thorns, the first whammy solo on Last Stand for Independence.

I don't have any of the booklets with me right now, but most of it is there. I can look it up when I get the chance. Although, now that I think of it, I'm not so sure if the last album has info as to who does which lead.

What he did live is another story. With the departure of Alex, he took over some of the leads. However, when Glen was his partner, I think Eric did very little solos (Glen stepped into Alex's shoes to a big extent). With James he started to do some more, but still James was definitely the main lead player. Later, with Steve Smyth alongside, he was doing more and more. Various songs, I can't remember now, as this ended with Alex coming back (he was left some of the songs to which he'd acquired the playing rights over the years, I think, but not many).