Who seriously can believe in bible?

Messiakh said:
If one does not believe in Christianity, then one should know that it is not the only religion in this world.

Of course. What is your point, I don't follow? Do you mean one should follow some sort of religion? What if they are all wrong and humans simply haven't figured out the answers to these ultimate questions because the creator has not chosen to reveal them?

Thoth-Amon said:
Of course. What is your point, I don't follow? Do you mean one should follow some sort of religion? What if they are all wrong and humans simply haven't figured out the answers to these ultimate questions because the creator has not chosen to reveal them?

When you find so many mistakes in Christianity, try searching in other religions and see in which you find most logic. That's if you're so worried about if they are wrong.

Messiakh said:
When you find so many mistakes in Christianity, try searching in other religions and see in which you find most logic. That's if you're so worried about if they are wrong.

Some other religions don't claim that their texts are directly inspired by an omniscient diety. For this reason, I can let them get away with ignorance of natural facts. The Bible, less so.

Messiakh said:
Probably those who don't believe in God, nor religion are rich, bored-in-life, who probably suffer from mental diseases and are 10-25 years old kids who are so effected by the crap they listen to.

Stop acting like such wannabes, you know you believe in Bible already.
in so far as what i've seen, there's really only 2 types of Christians

those who are brainwashed into being christian by being inside churches before about 3 years old when the brain becomes developed enough to recognize that a church congregation is pretty much a cult

people who have been through what many psychologists call a "trigger event" where something has happened that is traumatic to the point where the person becomes christian as a coping mechanism because they can no longer accept the harshness of reality (such as the scary huge number of those christian rape support groups where the women getting raped are telling themselves/each other that the rapists were possesed by demons)

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
in so far as what i've seen, there's really only 2 types of Christians

those who are brainwashed into being christian by being inside churches before about 3 years old when the brain becomes developed enough to recognize that a church congregation is pretty much a cult

people who have been through what many psychologists call a "trigger event" where something has happened that is traumatic to the point where the person becomes christian as a coping mechanism because they can no longer accept the harshness of reality (such as the scary huge number of those christian rape support groups where the women getting raped are telling themselves/each other that the rapists were possesed by demons)

By all means, bag the shit out of my beliefs. But as a Christian I take offense to what you've just posted as an attack on the individuals in question.

EDIT: I don't condone the n00b's post either

proglodite said:
By all means, bag the shit out of my beliefs. But as a Christian I take offense to what you've just posted as an attack on the individuals in question.

EDIT: I don't condone the n00b's post either
I meant in comparison to other religions
jewish people actually read the old testament
wiccans actually cast spells
and (in so far as what i've seen) chaos theorists/nihilists actually read the bible more than christians where they actually know the verses that seem inconsistant with reality

Final_Product said:
LRD is most definately generalising, but IMO he is on to some reasonable ideas about why some folks become Christians.

You used the term 'some' which I definitely agree with. LRD used 'only' which I definitely disagree with

Whoops... I pointed at the smiley and it said 'Blush', I thought it was an embarrassed blush but it's a flattered blush!:zombie:

Ok, how about::erk:

Demiurge said:
Some other religions don't claim that their texts are directly inspired by an omniscient diety. For this reason, I can let them get away with ignorance of natural facts. The Bible, less so.

Precisely. Which precisely why I reject Islam and Judaism as well.

It's easy to say that you don't believe in the Torah because it's not backed by "Divine Mandate", but it's also just as easy to say that you can't trust The Bible, because so much of the New Testament seems so wildly exaggerated and exasporated. Also, many common Christian beliefs aren't even an actual part of the Bible. Seriously, are the stories of Dante's Inferno or Paradise Lost actual parts of the Bible? As far as I know, no.

Ptah Khnemu said:
It's easy to say that you don't believe in the Torah because it's not backed by "Divine Mandate", but it's also just as easy to say that you can't trust The Bible, because so much of the New Testament seems so wildly exaggerated and exasporated. Also, many common Christian beliefs aren't even an actual part of the Bible. Seriously, are the stories of Dante's Inferno or Paradise Lost actual parts of the Bible? As far as I know, no.

No of course not and actually nothing in Dante is considered a source of Christian dogma anyway so it doesn't matter. Christian doctrine is based upon what is believed to be the Apostolic Tradition. This tradition is supposedly contained in the Bible and in oral traditions handed down in the Church from the apostles themselves. This is the Orthodox view and is virtually the same as the Catholic view. The Protestant view is that only the Bible itself is divinely inspired and it is a sufficient rule in terms of doctrine and practice. Now one may state that some Catholic/Orthodox doctrine is not in the Bible, which may be true, but from the Catholic/Orthodox perspective that does not really matter as the Church itself and her Tradition is just as authoratative upon the believer as the Bible itself. So there you go.

I hate to say this, especially in a thread like this, but you got me there.

But there's still one thing that throws me off though, that I brought up before in this thread. If the Bible is, in actuality, just a coroboration o short stories, and people seem to know this, then why do people still trust it so much as truth? Did Jesus Christ himself actually say to his disciples "Worship me, and you will all go to heaven, but don't, and you will burn in the fires of hell!!!"? Did Jesus actually say those words? Or did he just talk about the basics, such as "Be good to one's neighbor", or "He who is without sin throws the first stone"? I don't think Jesus, who was praised as a really good, peaceful, and nice guy, could've possibly thought of such things as "Hell" or "Satan". I'm sure maybe he could've after his "resurrection", because no human, mortal or immortal, could possibly return, without holding a grudge of some sort.