Who was better: Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix?

Who was better?

• SRV

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Hendrix

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Both were equally talented

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Both sucked

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I don't really like either of these guys tbh, but I would vote Hendrix just because he was more innovative, and also because from what I've heard of Stevie Ray his music is obnoxiously harmless, and clean to the point of sterility.

some people just need a selective disc of his best work, so you dont get overwhelmed with his more filler songs or... as per the environment he cut his teeth in, his bar gig, dance, boogie songs, like House is a rockin for example, they were what they were written for. Just like Hendrix, he had his standouts and he had ones that might not hurt to skip every now and then.

It got worse after the radio got ahold of it. He had a few of that type, like I said they were what they were

I like 'em both but Hendrix is much more mind-blowing for me and I like the more organic, sloppy style he has.

That's the style I'm talking about. Older blues players had such a raw, dark sound. Sure, they made mistakes; but that's what makes the music so much more interesting and, as you say, organic.

Vaughan lost that feeling. He played in a much more refined, listener-friendly style.

I agree with both these statements.

Hendrix and Joplin were responsible for the demise of flower power music. So that is not a very accurate statement

man i tried staying out of the thread but i can't. SRV and hendrix were great at 2 different things and just because the style they played was very similar to compare the two is just stupid.

Comparing them is not bad as they are comparable as guitar players. The only real correct votes are those that weighed their importance equally due to the question being posed as "who was better"

Well, I too wanted to avoid this thread, these types of posts only descend into pointless squabbles. Einherjer, is wrong about SRV. When SRV was in his prime he brought "contemporary" blues to the forefront. More people were turned on by the blues after hearing him. His contribution to music is brilliant. Calling him "pop/rock/blues is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. He got "mainstreamed" because of his popularity. Period. He didn't walk thru a Hendrix "door", SRV opened a new "door." As far as Jimi goes he's been and always will be my favorite guitarist. Listen to "Band of Gypsys" the live record from New Yrs eve 1970, especially the song Machine Gun. Also "First Rays of the New Rising Sun"(which contains most of the out of print-"Cry of Love." On these albums you will hear Jimi's innovation and song writing prowess. Jimi was regarded as sloppy in technique, but that was part of the charm. Don't dis SRV because he played "cleaner" and had better technique than Hendrix. One last comment, consider the mental midget that created this post/poll, for me that answers a lot of questions.

man i tried staying out of the thread but i can't. SRV and hendrix were great at 2 different things and just because the style they played was very similar to compare the two is just stupid.

No it's not. You can compare them on the basis of originality and influence, in which case Hendrix wins by a landslide.