Who was your first?

For me it was Saxon's "Rock The Nations".
Prior to that I had no idea what Metal is all about but I was already becoming bored from all those pop stuff and was already looking for music with more energy which lead me to bands like Europe (yeah, I know, I know :loco: ), but then I discovered Saxon! Their album "Rock The Nations" simply blew me away! It was so wild and energetic that I was hardly able to handle it in the beginning.
To make it short: This particular album made me a Metalhead. Bands like Europe and even Bon Jovi (I'm talking about the time when Slippery When Wet was their latest release) who had a lot of media exposure back then made me curious about Hard Rock and Metal, but Saxon made me a Metalhead.

Hey Oph, welcome to boards. Not as active here as the SMO boards, but all really good people here, just like family. Nah, I don't think I'm gonna make it over for the show. I'd like to come see HA and Nightshade but we are trying to book Terry over here for a show before they go to Greece.

Funny Daredevil that you mention Saxon. That was like the second band I ever photographed. It was the Rock the Nations tour and they played at the local college. I showed up early like 5 hours before the doors opened and being as they played the student union building I got in no problem. I found the tour manager and asked him if I could take pictures and he said I could if I helped carry in some gear for them. So, I got to roadie a bit and they signed a drum head for me. The promoter and security showed up and thought I was with the band so when it came showtime I had free access between the barricade and the stage. It was a very cool day indeed. And they put on an excellent show. Oh, the opening act... they played the movie Heavy Metal! :D

I still dig on Saxon. I've seen them several times, many of them in small venues (not a student union tho). My favorite is without question when I saw them at a small place called either Jezibels or Joshuas (the place in Anaheim or somewhere around there). Anyways, when I got there I was surprised that NOBODY was on the floor in front of the stage even though there was lots of people already inside. I immediatly went down there and stood right dead nut center in front of the stage (for killer view of course). People started coming down after that (shesh, what stupid people). The stage was very small. When the band started to come out, Biff was the first. As he was getting onto the stage, he came right up to me, reached over and exented his hand for a hand shake. Man, was I ever stoked! I was the only one he did that too. I don't know why he did that, but maybe he saw that I was the first "Real" Saxon fan to get up to the front. I'll never know, but what a memorable moment. I can't remember what tour it was, but it was in the mid to late 80s.

Nice story Redshirt! I really like Saxon too. I think it was at the end of "Watching the Sky" where the song changes feel and tempo and it kicks in to some fast double bass stuff. That and Accept were the first exposures I had to fast, aggressive double bass. :headbang:

Alan, you still have those shots you took? You must have quite a collection!!!

Speaking of Saxon, Metal 101 does a fine rendition of "Princess of the Night"! :)

Ironic that you posted this topic in the Maiden forum, because....

It was around 1983-84, I was 10 years old and a friend of mine introduced me to a cassette tape with a hideously cool zombie-looking guy on the front, who was holding a little red devil like a marionette. Beneath were tortured souls roasting in the flames.

The song was "Invaders," the Album Number of the Beast, the group none other than Iron Maiden.

I was hooked.

Doodoobubbachuck said:
Judas Priest, Van Halen (Eruption), Maiden. I was so drawn to and intrigued by vocalists who had a unique value to their voices and attitudes from hell. I never forget the first time I heard Accept's "Fast as a Shark" it made my blood pressure skyrocket! I couldn't get enough of it! My parents really hated that song.

Right on - a little Eruption! For me - not to hard to believe but the car horns from Runnin' with the Devil - I was hooked!

Brian (Diamond Dave)
www.eruptiononline.com

I was first introdcued to the world of rock by my brother when was about 7. My first favourite band was called Blind Melon (dunno if you've heard of them) then Metallica's Black Album came out and that was me - metalhead for life!!! We'd listen to nothing but Metallica and Maiden. I remember we used to mime to intros to NOTB and The Prisoner to each other, then fall about laughing. In our little den, we used to copy the album covers and I remember I did a really cool one of Powerslave. I wish that was still in existence cos it would be cool to see a 7 year old's interpretation of Eddie!! I still have a drawing I did of Metallica when I was about that age - it's hilarious!! My brother had this HUGE Aces High poster in his room and I remember it used to scare the hell outta me!!

alanbirdsell said:
Heir Apparent... I've been friends with Terry Gorle for almost 20 years. I should get ya some stuff with their new singer, he's killer. They do need a drummer these days.
I am so happy to hear they´ll bring out a new album after such a long time.

1983.. long time ago one of my friends brought over the Piece of Mind tape and I was hooked on Maiden and metal music.

SirLardsAlot said:
Iron Maiden - Edward The Great, December 2002.

Yeah yeah, call me a metal n00b all you want. But I've since then become a huge metal head. \m/
SAME HERE \m/

i am huge metal head too :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

A.D. 1987, 14 years old... and "Somewhere in time" changed my life.
Wasted years will be forever the song of my life

'Twas about 1991 I think... I was round at a mate's house and he put on GN'R's 'Appetite For Destruction'. It was just like, "what the hell is this?" So I talked my mum into buying me a cheap stereo. Shortly afterwards, another friend gave me a tape of (of all things) 'No Prayer For The Dying'. Naturally, it was all downhill from there, and as quick as I could I was getting everything I could find with Maiden's name on it.

It wasn't a gradual start for me - just BAM! when 'Appetite...' went on. I'll never forget that.