Who's the best female singer?

Psychonaut said:
James Hetfield
Ha ha ha ha ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But anyway, I would say Minnie Riperton is definetly my favorite female singer!!! This has been discussed numerous times before and I always mention the same singers over and over, so I'll probably do the same this time! :loco:
But anyway, one of the main reasons Minnie is my favorite female singer, is because she had a vocal range of 6 octaves (she unfortunatly died of breast caner in '79 :cry:)!!!
I downloaded that Evanescence song to check it out. I guess it was okay (although this is hard to say after one listen of course), but it didn't break my heart and didn't make the singer one of my favorites.

Another favorite is Suzi Jane Hokom. I have a duet record she did with Virgil Warner. Unfortunatly it only has two songs I listen to. But then again, those two songs are absolutely fantastic!!!! I would say they're both among the 5 best songs I've heard my entire life!!! Her voice is also fantastic on those two songs!!! Although she doesn't have the same range as Minnie, I actually like the sound of her voice a little better. The two songs are "Lady bird" and "Summer wine" and they're both written by my biggest idol, Lee Hazlewood! Lee has also done those two songs himself with Nancy Sinatra, and it's clear to hear that Nancy sings pretty crappy on those and Suzi Jane's vocal lifts them to another level! It also has something to do with the arrangement though, as it's a bit different on the Suzi Jane/Virgil versions than on the Lee/Nancy versions. Suzi Jane also did "Sand" and "Summer wine" with Lee and, especially on "Summer wine", you can hear that her voice has improved a fair amount from those two songs til the album with Virgil. It's always good that she can evolve. I also have a single she did with Lee (and she sings the b-side solo), but her voice doesn't really have the same shivering impact as on the two songs with Virgil, but still good of course!
Sissel Kyrkjebø: I have her first record from '88, which I bought because she sings "Summertime" on it. This is clearly the best vocal version I've heard of that song!!! Incredibly clear voice as well! I also incidently saw some of a show on tv where she sang some opera! Goddamn what a voice and range!!!!
Patrice Rushe: It's with mixed feelings that I mention her. I have two records by her: "Pizzazz" from '79 and "Straight from the heart" from '82 and I really only got impressed by her voice on "Straight...". Sometimes she sings kind of out of tune and sounds pretty bad, but then sometimes she strikes straight to the bone!
Anneke from The Gathering: Before I bought "Mandylion" I had "Leaves" on video and saw it lots of times and she became one of my favorite singers because of her voice on that song/video. When I got the cd I was a little let down as I didn't think her voice sounded as good as on the tape, but maybe that was because the video was taped on a poor video (which should do the opposite though). But still, decent voice.
Kari Rueslåten: Formerly of The 3rd and The Mortal. The best performance I've heard from her is on Storm's "Langt borti Lia".

If I'm allowed to comment on some of the choices of other posters:
Liv Kristine Espenæs: When I was only listening to metal I thought she was great, but I must admit now that it was probably in lack of better. It's not that I think she's a bad singer, but not one I would mention when discussing good singers. When I listen to the last verse of "And when he falleth" it sounds pretty horrible and out of tune. I heard some of their of live and it sounded just as horrible. She's better on "...A distance there is..." though.
The Within Temptation singer: I had "Enter". Their music sounded a little like "Hey, Theatre of Tragedy is bad-ass shit, let's make something that sounds just like it!", but okay, that's besides the point. Ha ha! I think their singer on that album was quite weak. She wanted to hit the high notes and couldn't and it sounded like they just picked the first the best femal they could find and forgot to check if she could actually sing well.

Sad to see only a very few person besides me have spotted the one and only metal/rock chick, namely

Anneke van Giesbergen from the Gathering

Also mentioned, but all below:

Kari Rueslåtten (ex-3rd and the mortal)
Floor Jansen (After forever)
the chick in Pale forest
Vibeke Stene (Tristania)
Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna coil)
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)

and I guess I should mention Elin from my own band Ancestral Legacy, haha.

and don't tell me that Liv Kristine is any good! She's nothing more than average...

Quote: Originally Posted by -Galaxy 500-
But he is one of the best male singers of all time.
AH!AH!AH!

THIS IS EVEN MORE HILARIOUS!!

:tickled:
Yeah, Ha ha ha ha! :D
But anyway, although I'm kind of hard and put the rest of the female singers besides the ones I mentioned in the category of mediocre/okay singer, there are a few in the top of that category that I think should be mentioned:
Although her music is gross 80's crap I think Maggie Reilly has a decent voice.
Heather Nova also has a decent voice IMO. I'm not familiar with much of her material and the stuff I've heard apparently didn't impress me much, but I know that song she did with Escobar. Although it's gross, synthetic sounding and the chorus is jolly-happy I think her voice drags it quite a bit up!
Aaliyah: Although I was a bit into that kind of music some years ago, it didn't take me long to loose interest in it. Her voice in the verse of "More than a woman" may be the the song in the synthetic musicgenres that are closest to giving me the chills! Although, as I said, I don't have any interest in her music, it's always a loss to lose a good singer (and a good looking one as well). Why couldn't they have taken Dido instead (although she's also decent looking as well)??

thrashmetal78 said:
You just typed a paragraph about something that doesn't even pertain to you.

The point I was trying to drive home was, although you missed it by a fucking mile, that I like a lot of the same music that most people here listen to, and I thought they would be less inclined to blow me off when I mentioned that I liked Evanescence as well as all the rest of our metal.

But thank you for replying to this post. It's people like you that I was talking about, and that the post was actually about. People like you are the ones that everyone else dismisses. You're dismissed.

A show of hands: Who actually gives a flying fuck?

I also have to add that Julie Andrews voice on "Chim chim cheree" (from "Mary Poppins") is gold! Too bad she only sings the last verse and Dick Van Dyke and the children sings the rest, but still worth mentioning though! I haven't heard much of her other singing, perhaps because I haven't seen many films with her.

Well my favorite female singer of all time is Ann Wilson from Heart. She has the most powerful female voice I've ever heard and is fantastic live. You did say metal though, so I'd have to go with Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil. Anneke from The Gathering is not very far behind though!

Heavy Metal-->Tairrie B (My Ruin) www.myruin.com
Heavy/Power Metal-->Kimberly Goss (Sinergy)
Extreme (Death) Metal--> Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)
PS "Females can't sing"???? Pick up the clue phone, Profanity!

Although I don't particularly like the song and the rest of the stuff I've heard by them, I'd have to say that Karen Carpenter from The Carpenters has a quite nice and VERY clean voice on "Close to you"!