Best female-fronted metal bands?

HaTikva

Dreams of the Middle East
Somehow metal used to be for a long time a very male thing. If you think of the pioneers (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, ...) ... The only exception, if you wish to tag them as metal (which is debatable) I can think of is Jarboe's presence in the early incarnation of Swans. In the nineties we in Europe suddenly had a rise of female presence in metal but most are all in the same tag being gothic metal: Within Temptation, Epica, Nightwish, After Forever, ... All the same type of music with an emphasis on opera-esque vocals. The Gathering is a bit of an exceptional case as they were never sticking to just one subcategory of metal. But I still have rarely heard female vocalists in other subcategories of metal, whereas I'm sure there must be female vocalists in progressive metal, doom metal, noise rock, etc as well?

Which are in your opinion the best female-fronted metal bands? (female fronted = we talk explicitly about female vocals as far as that wasn't obvious yet)

I would be tempted to say The Gathering, because of Anneke's incredible vocal reach.

In the nineties we in Europe suddenly had a rise of female presence in metal but most are all in the same tag being gothic metal

Almost always female fronted metal bands are labeled as "gothic metal." I've never understood this as there's nothing gothic about 99% of them. :)

Somehow metal used to be for a long time a very male thing. If you think of the pioneers (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, ...) ... The only exception, if you wish to tag them as metal (which is debatable) I can think of is Jarboe's presence in the early incarnation of Swans. In the nineties we in Europe suddenly had a rise of female presence in metal but most are all in the same tag being gothic metal: Within Temptation, Epica, Nightwish, After Forever, ... All the same type of music with an emphasis on opera-esque vocals. The Gathering is a bit of an exceptional case as they were never sticking to just one subcategory of metal. But I still have rarely heard female vocalists in other subcategories of metal, whereas I'm sure there must be female vocalists in progressive metal, doom metal, noise rock, etc as well?

Which are in your opinion the best female-fronted metal bands? (female fronted = we talk explicitly about female vocals as far as that wasn't obvious yet)

I would be tempted to say The Gathering, because of Anneke's incredible vocal reach.

You already have the answer for your question. I can't find a better singer than her, and i'm talking about all the world music, including joss stone, mariah, j-lo, amy lsdhouse and anyone else.

my favorite female fronted band, though not metal, is Dead Can Dance.

the better metal ones I've heard are Thorr's Hammer, Mourn, and Fairyland's debut.

Detente(boring riffs, awesome vocals)
Sounds like you're quoting Fenriz.

Détente

Fear of God

Madder Mortem

Atrox (Monika Edvardsen-era)

Znowhite

Ice Age

Chastain

Sacrilege (UK)

The Third And The Mortal
Death-Hymn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I like it when females sounds like females, not fucking men. So id go with bands like Deadlock.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dropped the "female fronted", it wouldn't be any different.

More like "If you dropped the 'metal', it wouldn't be any different." The majority of female fronted bands of any genre is crap, heck how many female musicians don't suck? Anneke certainly doesn't suck, so too is Gorod's Sandrine, but that's about it. Females should just stay in the kitchen and leave the good music to us men.