Female fronted bands

tenebrose

Ceramic Goddess
Jun 8, 2001
Staffanstorp, Sweden
www.oxenby.se
I have noticed a trend in female fronted metal bands to go into the goth metal category... with the exception of a bit of doom metal. We have bands like The Sins of Thy Beloved, Theatre of Tragedy, On Thorns I Lay, Lacuna Coil and the list goes on... granted, often good bands, when one is in that mood (or if one always is), but having been raised with bands like Twisted Sister, Helloween and Queensrÿche shaking the furniture (I have older siblings), I need my share of pure heavy metal / hard rock , and in that category it seems harder to find women.

One of the first bands I'd like to draw attention to is the hard rock all-girl outfit from the late-70's/early-80's, Girlschool, who toured with big names such as Black Sabbath and Motörhead. They have the sound of their time, but then again, don't most bands of their category? Their only downside is that, to me, they seem too focused on being "tough".
Another personal favourite with a female vocalist (actually, she left recently, but no new album has been made since) is definitely White Skull. They definitely managed to incorporate her voice very well with the music... some metal bands I've listened to with female vocalists have had too soft voices for the music and it has floated above the instruments. It works wonders with male dark vocals in death/black/doom metal, for a short section, but a whole album like that is hard to listen to.
A final mention is Warlock. With them it's more noticible that it's a woman singing, but it sound great. This isn't a petite and fragile doll... by no means.

If you haven't yet looked into those, I suggest it... and would very much enjoy some aid in finding more actual heavy metal with female vocals. It's an interesting avenue to explore.

Right off the bat I'll have to say - have you listened to any Tura Satana or My Ruin? Both excellent metal bands with the great Tairrie B. as lead singer/growler. Also, check out Snake River Conspiracy with Tobey Torres on lead vocals - maybe not quite as heavy as you seem to be looking for, but an excellent band none the less. Also, on the 'nu-metal' front, there's always Defenestration and Sugarcoma. If you can stand to listen to nu-metal that is.

Thanks, both of you.

I like the metalgirls site, but the thing is... most of the female singers praised there are sweetness slipping across doom-music... which is okay, and I do listen to that occasionally, but it's not what I was looking for.

fenrisulven said:
skåne is a strange place, I cant understand shit what their sayin. Skaune....

Another female fronted band that is 100% metal is Sinister. Their latest CD with the female singing is very brutal.

However, I have said it before, and will say it again, the greatest female fronted band EVER is Nuclear Death.

I have also said it before, and I will say it again, the greatest female fronted band EVER is Fear Of God. :D

Dawn Crosby is one of my favorite vocalists of all time, and honestly, I ususally don't care for female vocals. However, Within The Veil and Toxic Voodoo are all time classic albums. Also, her work in Detente should not be ignored either...