Why all the dislike for GR?

the_drip said:
lol what is then? I admit I throw in the occasion Jester RAce maybe once every 2 weeks. maybe you have me confused with someone else....the last 6 months I've been ina black metal rut...Drudhk, enslaved, emperor, Taake, Wyrd, Summoning , Keep of Kalessin. Maybe down the road I'll learn to appreciate Esoteric...right now...its not doing much for me.

Not confused, its you.

an interesting thing:

everyone complains about the structure of the songs and the not-returning-to-previous-riffs in orchid and morningrise, but noone seems to notice that the same thing is present in mayh. granted, the songs are shorter and that makes a difference, but the (heavy) songs still consist of riffs glued together.
it's only with still life that they started 'returning to riffs'

personally, i enjoy both styles - and have higher respect for a song that manages to make 'glued riffs' flow nicely and in the end, be a good/great song, than one with recurring riffs.

i very much enjoy the 'journey' feel of most morningrise songs, and i don't think the album is in any way inferior if the songs don't have the 'single unit' feel.

Metamyr said:
So i've been on this forum off and on for a couple months now, and i see a lot of people that rip on Ghost Reveries a lot. I'll admit, GR was the album that got me into Opeth, but now that i've heard it all I absolutely love all their albums MAYH on. Personally, I feel like GR was a step back towards a more BWP sound, rather than deliverance which was a lot heavier but didn't have a lot of the awesome acoustic and folky riffs that I think make opeth great. Lyrically is the only place i could see, because the lyrics don't necessarily come across as emotional as some of their other CDs. Anyone else notice this and know why?

sick noob.

yah, I always listen to Opeth while going somewhere because the music "goes". it makes track distinctions unimportant. MR could be 2 songs or 8 songs just the same.

When GR came out, I was quite dissapointed. It just seemed like something was missing. Or maybe it was the fact that the whole album was recorded in DADFAD tuning. I use this tuning sometimes and while it's great for harmonies, using it for melodys and solos are quite difficult when using diatonic progressions. Not knocking Mike's guitar skills!

But now almost 1 year later, it has really grown on me. Now that the summer months are here again, I have to say, I really enjoy GR now. It's a whole new era of sound for Opeth. As a band matures through their career it becomes a challenge to keep a fresh sound, and keep the material interesting. And I believe Opeth have taken a sucessfull step.

Rob

I absolutely love Ghost Reveries. Åkerfelt was a bit off when he was about to write the album because he didn't know what to write about. So he took the classic death-metal subject: death, mysticism and various evil beings :)
Personally I think he hit a bullseye, because the album describes the subject so perfectly! He's so good at making a CD about one (1) subject and I really admire him for this. Besides.. The subject on ghost reveries is one of my fav. :)

It's not a bad album, it's just not quite as amazing as the others. Still, Ghost of Perdition, Isolation Years and Baying of the Hounds rank among Opeth's finest songs.

Hmm, I would rate the songs on Ghost Reveries as follows:

Baying of the Hounds
Ghost of Perdition
Hours of Wealth
Isolation Years
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Beneath the Mire
Atonement
The Grand Conjuration

I love ghost reveries, any opeth album could be at the top or the bottom of my fav opeth albums, just depends what mood im in.

Jamo said:
I love ghost reveries, any opeth album could be at the top or the bottom of my fav opeth albums, just depends what mood im in.

When it comes to Opeth, I'm pretty much the same way.

For about 6 months GR was the only Opeth record I listened to. Now it's been awhile since I've played it. I still like it, just haven't been in the mood to hear it recently. Orchid, BWP & Deliverance top my playlist currently for the mighty Swede's. I hope to hear more Orchid tunes live in the coming years. UTWM was so incredibly fantastic live !!!

yeah there are some people who critisize GR, but its a really great cd
their style went i a good way

deliverance is also very good.... i damn love this song on the lamentations dvd