Why all the dislike for GR?

NineFeetUnderground said:
actually, hes right. for once in his narrow minded, generic metal worshipping stupid life. hes right. although i dont think the albums are as bad as he makes them out to be.

lol ur so mean.

ur just mad because esoteric made me :erk:

fyi - the 2nd track on that album "metamorphogenesis" was alot better than the 1st and 3rd...I borderline liked that one..it had some direction to the song.

the_drip said:
lol ur so mean.

ur just mad because esoteric made me :erk:

fyi - the 2nd track on that album "metamorphogenesis" was alot better than the 1st and 3rd...I borderline liked that one..it had some direction to the song.

im not mad. i actually pity you a bit...and am thankful i dont have your loltaste.

you pity me because I don't orgasm over every weird avant garde music act that gets a hint of praise from anybody? Just because its strange doesnt' mean its good.

You guys are right about Morningrise. I feel the same about Orchid as well. Both albums are superb musically, but I don't like the way the songs are structured. It just seems like each song was just riffs thrown together, like 10 minute tracks of material rather than songs. They don't go back to any of the riffs like they do in songs on the other albums.

Ikil said:
You guys are right about Morningrise. I feel the same about Orchid as well. Both albums are superb musically, but I don't like the way the songs are structured. It just seems like each song was just riffs thrown together, like 10 minute tracks of material rather than songs. They don't go back to any of the riffs like they do in songs on the other albums.

Excellent point, I agree whole heartedly.

I thought the exact same things when I first heard those records, but now I guess I have become desensitised to it, so I don't notice the disjointed structure of the music on these albums as much any more. The MUSIC itself didnt have a theme as such (hinted at in your post above), while the lyrics did.

Any thoughts people?

Yeah, it makes it hard to remember what some of the eearlier songs sound like, and sometimes it does sound like they're wandering about the place with no direction. If you don't think about it it's easy to get lost in.

Yeah thats true man. I find I remember a lot more riffs from the albums after Morningrise and Orchid.

Consider, they were young, and still exploring their sound, their direction. So in some respects, it's only natural that they sound this way at that time.

Oh definitely , I mean, I am not criticizing the band here, I am just saying I don't like the structure. You just find some people go on about how 'perfect' those 2 albums are and diss the rest. Well for me, I don't see that.

the_drip said:
you pity me because I don't orgasm over every weird avant garde music act that gets a hint of praise from anybody? Just because its strange doesnt' mean its good.

were talking about Esoteric...the fucking Opeth of the doom genre...not "every weird avant garde act". moron and its NOT that strange, its just different from your head thumping melodeath dribble you jizz over.

I am just surprised because you had a go at me one day claiming they were the best funeral doom band in the last 5 years. If they are one trick ponies, then funeral doom must be a real dud these days. I don't think much of the band anyway.

Ikil said:
I am just surprised because you had a go at me one day claiming they were the best funeral doom band in the last 5 years. If they are one trick ponies, then funeral doom must be a real dud these days. I don't think much of the band anyway.

one trick pony is a derogatory statement? i dont feel so, i used it to express they played pure funeral doom. whereas esoteric are like a bad dream come to realization...everything from doom to psychadelic insanity is in their material, so i feel theyre more akin to an Opeth comparison than Evoken.

Yeah fair enough. Esoteric certainly do more than the doom thing for me to, very interesting band.

NineFeetUnderground said:
were talking about Esoteric...the fucking Opeth of the doom genre...not "every weird avant garde act". moron and its NOT that strange, its just different from your head thumping melodeath dribble you jizz over.

lol plz remind me what melo death i'm jizzing over....since the last 5 albums I"ve listened to have been Enslaved, primordial, summoning and Gojira. wtf?

lol what is then? I admit I throw in the occasion Jester RAce maybe once every 2 weeks. maybe you have me confused with someone else....the last 6 months I've been ina black metal rut...Drudhk, enslaved, emperor, Taake, Wyrd, Summoning , Keep of Kalessin. Maybe down the road I'll learn to appreciate Esoteric...right now...its not doing much for me.