Why are so many on this board so misanthropic?

At first I thought it might be me. I thought I was too sensitive. I was easily hurt and angered by people, but now after answering many posts on this forum, I see things about myself that I’ve never realized before. I do think I’m too sensitive. I also think I’m a cynic now. It’s what I’ve seen in my life. I took what I saw and this is the result. Why do you think I want to move. I’m always talking about moving, just can’t get the crew to follow.

I saw a movie I saw last night. Battlefield Earth. Not a favorite or anything, but the human race was endangered and in the end they were going to “start over” with maybe 100 people. Imagine that. Could you imagine how different things would be. How much more friendly the entire population would be. It’d be a TREAT to see a stranger rather than...well, whatever it is to you now. No, people aren’t just dandy to me.

No, you’re right, most people don’t like thinking. With my family last week, every time a new subject started, I’d focus on one part of it and get them to really think about it. It was fun.

I feel that a lot of people put their own feelings and pride second to please others. To see people become victims of it, angers me. The people that cause this angers me more than the people who fall prey to it. Then the prey becomes the “ones to please” and the cycle repeats itself.

It's not that bad - and shutting yourself off just keeps you away from the good people. Don't get upset with the stupid, just accept them as thus and expend mental energy accordingly ("Ah. You are stupid. Excuse me.") There are a lot of them out there, but that's no reason to hate people. Just pity them.

You’d be surprise how close you just got to what I tell myself all the time. It’s hard, but I’m nowhere near giving up and live a reclusive life. I wouldn’t feel as good as I do when I have an encounter with that totally cool person. That person that does one thing that I so appreciate. Seems sometimes they’re so few and far between though.

Another thing, all of us don't have to be fit for each other. Carve your own little niche and that's enough.

Mmm. That sounds nice. I’ll carve my niche out of a quiet piece of Virginia. Be the best damn hippie/hick I can!

“Oh, the tragedies of man...lurking the core of us all.”

Well I'm back, didn't have my CPU all week (lent it to a friend)....Anyways, Misanthropia=Realism in my book. When I write a paper for school I don't want my teacher to love it just because I wrote it, I want him/her to criticize and tell me what could be improved. Likewise, In society, criticism is neccesary for the improvement of said society. ANd misanthropia (i.e. hate for humanity/mankind) as I see it is nothing more than hate for the established ideals and laws and WAYS of being. Just because I deal with stupidity everyday doesn't mean I should sit back and like it just because I have to deal with it constantly.

I hear your pain, Misanthrope. I was just talking about the "misanthropes" who haven't even made an effort to get under the surface, but instead judge people on petty opinions and secondary things as opposed to getting to know real characters...you know the type. Of course people are going to disappoint sometimes, and that scares me sometimes as well, I admit. I believe though, as I said, that those are the situations where you just have to move on one way or another. Not just "move on" but maybe even physically, just what Opet talked about...finding yourself in a new situation with completely new people will surely bring out new sides and views in everyone...speaking from recent experience. Which brings me to...

I have also learned not to value myself and my ideas so much, but instead adapt to change and change when needed. This I believe will make me a lot happier in the end of my life, instead of a false sense of pride which people supposedly get from holding onto principles which, in fact, limit the big picture in the end. Some of you more philosophical ones will surely disagree, but I used to be like that and noticed it wasn't right for me.

dune666, I understand that...but you obviously care a lot more about humanity in general than I do. My point of view is though that we wouldn't be human unless we were seriously faulty, which makes finding something to believe in even more fun. I couldn't care less really about people in general - I like seeing the small things. I may be too happy in my own little microcosm, or whatever. ;)

Your words hold wisdom, ive too changed my ideas over and over again and i tend to live by the ideas that either seem more right or i have proved more times and in both cases my current ideas about others and the meaning of life ( well, the absence of it ) are correct. Maybe they could change, maybe they wont but its not like you can undo something if you make a mistake. That is something you learn to live with

It's true.. generally, people do suck. They're inconsiderate, selfish, boorish, and unintelligent. The occasional gem will peek through, but other than that, your average person can't even think deeply about the Marianas Trench.

Thing is.. I can get along with people. There's a part of me that sometimes longs for blissful ignorance, to be happy and unconcerned with the things that constantly bog my mind down.

But you all rule :D