Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Musical taste changed

Votes: 29 85.3%

• Total voters

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
I think this topic needs no introduction :lol: But I want to wrap up people's opinion on a poll. First of all the widely understood old and new Children Of Bodom ranges from the first albums until Hate Crew Deathroll and beyond - the controversial bit is whether Hate Crew Deathroll as an album belongs to the old or the new category (I myself think it started the new direction). The band's first three albums were each considerably different, but the general view is after that it's been more similar.

And another matter that needs to be reminded is a lot of fans go out saying they changed because Alexander left the band - but forget he was still with them during the Hate Crew Deathroll period, which in my opinion tramples the theory (in case he would ever have such huge influence in the music/chemistry in the first place as a rhythm guitarist...)

This change that's occurring in COB's music since the last decade or so is something we see happening with a lot of bands once they make their financial breakthru. That's something that divides the possibilities roughly onto two options: either the management/label steps in at that point and starts to steer the music into the supposed 'pop' direction (like choosing Was It Worth It? to be the single of the new album, which was confirmed to be the label's choice instead of Shovel Knockout - as well as hiring an (American) producer for the album) - or it's about the band no longer carrying that personality in their music that made them sound different. With inexperience comes personality and with experience comes firm and secure musical output, and somewhere in between usually is the band's "peak moment" when there's a good blend of experience and personality to make their most memorable package, as opposed to having much personality but lack of experience, or much experience but lack of personality.

I won't specualate with my opinions yet... we have speculated several times before whether you liked the changed and what is your favourite album yada yada, but this is about why did the change happen. I divided the poll possibility to only two possible motivators. Money, and change of musical taste. And I'd like people to further elaborate whether it was about:

Money:
- Management / label interrupting with musical development in hopes of more sales.
- The band itself consciously or subconsciously making music suitable to opening the market to US which happened with Hate Crew Deathroll.
- Other?

Music taste:
- The other touring bands influencing the composer.
- The composer's preferance and taste of music changing by itself, the band thinking they've discovered better music.
- The band is just unable to do what they did in the past.
- Changes in band chemistry altogether affecting the musical style, including Alexander's departure.
- Other?

This phenomena is something that's heavily mystifying fans of several bands, not just COB. I could make a list of the ones known to me personally, but I'll throw one card on the table by a famous metal band, who actually complained about label/management manipulating their musical direction at the point they started becoming succesful: Hypocrisy. This is stated in the documentary of the new live DVD, and how the composer didn't want anything to do with the whole thing at this point.

I'm trying to write this neutral. I think the entirity is a mess of everything, the reasons, and also the musical change, nothing is black and white, but something is always closer to the truth.

COB's view on the change is known to be they simply want to evolve and do something different always, they're just more experienced now, and this is the kind of music they want to do now, and they could do the old shit anyday if they wanted. These are straight quotations, and I certainly have my opinions on them.

I think it might be the money, but that's just me. With HCDR and AYDY they climbed the charts in the US. Hell, it might not have been the money that much, but taking the chance to get up there by taking a different direction - for fame.

I think it might be the money, but that's just me. With HCDR and AYDY they climbed the charts in the US. Hell, it might not have been the money that much, but taking the chance to get up there by taking a different direction - for fame.

After they noticed HCDR "worked" in US, I wonder if Alexi still kept thinking he does his kinda music and if others like it too that's 'just bonus.'

Also there's the indirect consequences of the label "interrupting" their creation work. Let's say tight schedules with tours = too little time to write AYDY. Was the lack of musical substance replaced with heavy sound, or was the whole thing dictated by the label, or just simply pure 100% Alexi? I'm taking a freedom of implying a bit negatively at that album as an entirity, as it has been called by Alexi himself their worst effort. It was still great despite his arm-break Alexi managed to write awesome tracks like LDB, PMIB and a couple other hits and some decent songs, and when you take into count the EP it wasn't a bad effort at all actually; but the style change was so obvious, I want to know if that was pure Alexi or did the music business interrupt directly at some point, or if the lack of time made them take a more superficial route and replace the feeling of old with heavy sound, to put it short.

I'm ready to accept if the band honestly does all the music at the best of their heart, ability and vision, but if music business got in the way of Bodom continuing their excellent style, I'm not happy with that. If I didn't think Relentless Reckless Forever is their worst output, I wouldn't be asking all this. It's just this time there was no excuses on the composer's front: there was time. Does he honestly think it's the best COB album is what puzzles me.

I want to know if the label ever discusses with them about the style of the music.

i bet that you´re propose is to janne come here read this then call you asshole again and then he tells this we think of their change to the rest of the band and we are not happy with it and etc. perhaps with it it do change to what they were

it would be cool if so though

I think there albums changed due to 'age' and the lackluster attitude they seem to have now. There early stuff, interviews etc. I think showed a lot more positivity. I don't really feel that any more.

i bet that you´re propose is to janne come here read this then call you asshole again and then he tells this we think of their change to the rest of the band and we are not happy with it and etc. perhaps with it it do change to what they were

it would be cool if so though

If a band member climbs down the ivory tower again, so what, I've not accused them of anything, and for me it's ok if they don't even care to visit the whole forum. If I had a band I wouldn't give a shit what some obsessed fan thought different about the music cos I'd believe in the art I was doing.

I always wanted to find out more about their thoughts on changing different aspects of the music, nobody ever asks about it in interviews. I want to ask everything possible about their changes on the albums, why did they start sounding like this and that and why did they write this kind of music instead and why ditch certain elements of the past. If someone can come forth and say "we wrote Northpole Throwdown instead of something like Silent Night Bodom Night because we honestly think it's better" then I'll accept it and shut up forever about why they changed. But one can see if I ask this, yes it means I don't understand it.

It could be all of the theories listed have had somewhat of an influence, or it could be I'm thinking about this too deeply and there is no conspiracy. I personally think COB has/had potential for more than RRF. Still I have to think what would've happened without the label interrupting with this album. They would not sound American and they would've released Shovel Knockout as single. That already would've made a million times better impression. And I can't help but wonder is there something else too behind the scenes.

Or let's think this way: is it possible COB composes and records an album that is a straight return to the past, the label takes it without asking any questions and puts it on the market. I would think if this happened it could at least raise some eyebrows. And if the label is capable of commenting about the level of the music, are they not capable of dictating the direction of the music to some degree? This is honestly just a question. I'm sure they at least keep in touch with Alexi on how the writing process in proceeding.

And a straight return to the past is not exactly what I personally would prefer, style-wise yes but they don't need to downgrade their experience, nor would it work due to how the vocals are now.

I would think if COB changed to another label whose people were fans of the original style COB and had faith in it, they would at least encourage COB to write something more in the vein of HB / FTR etc, but I don't know.

oh and this thing about joonas being banned is fucking stupid :lol: i'll do my best to flame jannes ass if he does a poll about it ( he wont but ....) joonas is here since 2005!!!!!!!! it means that he is an old cob fan or more like a true cob fan so janne should kiss his legs thats all

Their musical taste changed. Most importantly Alexi's since he writes the songs. But the rest of the band is fine with it, so they don't think it's a wrong direction.

oh and this thing about joonas being banned is fucking stupid :lol: i'll do my best to flame jannes ass if he does a poll about it ( he wont but ....) joonas is here since 2005!!!!!!!! it means that he is an old cob fan or more like a true cob fan so janne should kiss his legs thats all

:lol:!!!!

Wow, I'm surprised by the poll. It looks like mostly the naive people , slaves of marketing have stayed on this forum, that's why it's been so quiet. Back in the day replies would be different. There's no proper argumentation. The motive was to have a discussion about how much in today's metal music industry is spontaneous art and how much is dictated. Keep on living your corrupted fantasy of how the music business works. I guess you also buy the story that Alexi changed to ESP just because his two Jacksons were stolen, without realizing how damn many guitars ESP sells because of Alexi. :)

Wow, I'm surprised by the poll. It looks like only the naive people have stayed on this forum, that's why it's been so quiet. Keep on living your corrupted fantasy of how the music business works. I guess you also buy the story that Alexi changed to ESP just because his two Jacksons were stolen :)
ALEXI TOTALLY SOLD OUT AFTER HE CHANGED TO ESP HERPA DERP DERPDERP DERP DERP MUSIC BUSINESS HERP DERP DERP DERP COB'S TOO FAMOUS I CAN'T LISTEN TO IT DERPA HERP HERP

Just shut the fuck up already.

Let the war begin.