Why Did They Change?

Why did COB's music change?

• Money became priority

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Musical taste changed

Votes: 29 85.3%

• Total voters
ALEXI TOTALLY SOLD OUT AFTER HE CHANGED TO ESP HERPA DERP DERPDERP DERP DERP MUSIC BUSINESS HERP DERP DERP DERP COB'S TOO FAMOUS I CAN'T LISTEN TO IT DERPA HERP HERP

Just shut the fuck up already.

And who the fuck are you to say that? Go back to your cave. Joonas has a solid point. People must learn to think out of the box.

And who the fuck are you to say that? Go back to your cave. Joonas has a solid point. People must learn to think out of the box.
I'm a CoB fan, what else does it take?

I think RRF is a fine, solid CoB album. Alexi has grown alot as a solid composer, but the thing I can't hear, is a (solid) ESP guitar.

There's my extremely solid point. Now I can go back to my solid though cold (damn freezing winter) cave, kthxbye.

OK I'm just messing with ya. I don't like RRF too much either (if we're even talking about that album. I might be in the wrong theard).

By the way, how does money direct music like note-wise? Does Cb bring more money than C#?

:lol:

Well, of course you grow in composing thru experience. But no matter if you composed five thousand songs, it isn't the key to making epic, feelingful songs. :) On the contrary, it seems.

It isn't about what notes you play, don't act dumber than you are. I'll throw an example: COB's label officially chose Was It Worth It? as their single instead of Shovel Knockout, because it had a catchy chorus (quoting Janne) and is very simple otherwise. Now everybody knows that song is a disgrace on COB standards - I know the chorus is catchy, but come on. The other song is pure annihilation beating the living fuck out of shit Bodom style. Not saying you can force good ideas with hard work, but WIWI took two days to make, while SKO took several months, and you can hear it. To make money with something that has a catchy chorus is commonly known as 'pop.'

The label definitely isn't steering them into being more "true, atmospheric extreme metal." It seems they're - instinctively or dictatedly - going down the thrashy, superficial route, (actually I don't even see it as superficial, it's just lacking depth) like so so many other bands after their best albums. This is the way I see it. Fuck, take a look at the bullshit Nightwish is putting out now. I could list several others. It seems to be a "trend" rather than coincidence.

I don't know what's been going on with COB. The WIWI scenario is something they pointed out, as well as the producer-scenario, cos those were ideas they were against at the start. Maybe if (and that's a great if) the label is actually making good decisions to get more money, why complain. And it's so easy to put things into good light, you can only speak about the negative things of the past and the bright things about the present, or the other way.

If somebody believes the new COB albums are pure and natural evolution not being limited by "how it should sound" and are satisfied with them when compared to the old classics, that's cool, I personally don't know but I'm sure there's truth in both, but you know, money dictating events is something that simply does happen in life. Oh man, even wars can be labeled business sometimes. In top sports of the world you have worse athletes take good contracts because they bring more money. Stephen King made a sequel to the Shining and added vampires in the mix cos it's what's currently 'in' with teenagers. Not cool man, not cool.

I'm killing.

From recent Soundi-magazine: concerning music:

Alexi: "I can't remember ever doing compromises. Altough, (now when being asked the question) of course somebody could have stuck one's fist in mouth and run away crying 'omg is it going to get exposed now that I've made compromises?'" Sarcastically stating of course you wouldn't admit such things.

Concerning ESP-deal:

"In addition to free instruments I also get money from ESP."

"I don't talk about details concerning deals," says Mr. Saarikko, the man who orchestrated the contract between Laiho and ESP, "When it comes to Alexi, we're enacting on the deal between Steve Vai and Ibanez that's been around over 20 years. The details are secret, but because Vai contributed himself and designed a signature mode, he was promised provision over every unit sold in the series. It's a win-win situation."

Everyone understands this is natural. Every kid in Youtube has an ESP because of Alexi. Meaning Alexi is obviously very important for ESP. Now just don't take the "two guitars were stolen and ESP decided to help!" story word-to-word in all its cuteness.

The point in all this is, it's romantic to think of your favourite band as a "phenomena of nature," (and this is how I still see the green and blue album, but nothing after that), the way things go is when a band starts being profitable, it's no longer just a band, but a company. Even if it's a spontaneously composing company, I mean band.

- Management / label interrupting with musical development in hopes of more sales.

This is what I've been saying this whole time you know!!!

the industry decides for us! that's the bad point!!

like Janne said in an interview that they were FORCED to work with a producer!!!

I think When you have started a band you are always in what I would like to call "Inner Sanctum" and once you're there, your music is based on your rituals in your inner sanctum.

but when all of a sudden you get out! and see that there are certain people expecting certain things, you get out of you inner sanctum too!!!!

The band itself consciously or subconsciously making music suitable to opening the market to US which happened with Hate Crew Deathroll.

I don't think that would be the case for COB!

I heard Janne in an interview that I guess nobody has watched here, that when they started COB in 1997

they aimed to sell 1000 copies in Finland! it was all they wanted!

and now that they have sold like 2m albums it does not make a difference!

he said if we sell that 1000 copies today... that will make us happy...

Joonas has succeeded to break my beautiful illusion. Fuck you, man. Well, at least the next album will show me whether he's right or not. But I really like every other album from SW to Blooddrunk so I hope RRF is only a mistake..

Fuck, take a look at the bullshit Nightwish is putting out now. I could list several others. It seems to be a "trend" rather than coincidence.
Ha! I think the new Nightwish is awesome.

they aimed to sell 1000 copies in Finland! it was all they wanted!

:lol: yeah and now they're still the same, if just they just sell 1000 copies of their latest record it is ok..they totally dont mind .:lol: of course...

and now that they have sold like 2m albums it does not make a difference!

he said if we sell that 1000 copies today...

Seriously, you really think a band that sold a lot records and has members who live from the money which they earn with their work in the band has still that attitude?
And if a band sells 1.000 copies a day... thats not that bad ;)

Joonas has succeeded to break my beautiful illusion. Fuck you, man. Well, at least the next album will show me whether he's right or not. But I really like every other album from SW to Blooddrunk so I hope RRF is only a mistake..

Trust me, I was already waiting for this with AYDY. When the album came out and I finally played it, the reaction was the same when I waited for Blooddrunk and finally the release came, then with RRF. Every time my reaction was the same. Disappointed they didn't do another epic album like Follow the Reaper or Hatebreeder, disappointed with the American sound and the thrashy style, left with an empty feeling thinking they could do so much better, mystified by the lack of surprises and depth in the music. I was thinking "there's something wrong, where's the heart in this, the beautiful atmosphere, passionate attitude and primitive rage, the shocking composions?" It was Bodom'ish, but the epicness was always limited to only a few songs.

You might be waiting for the change to happen with the next album; for me RRF was absolutely the last. Now I just realize their peak moment was over ten years ago, and everything we might still get is just bonus. I was fooled for three times to actually hope for another (what I consider) legendary Bodom album. We still get a couple cool tracks with the new albums, once every 2½ years. I thought I'd be content if I'd hear two more awesome COB tracks. I did find RRF to carry a couple songs worth of excellent material, but that's not enough considering how much time and energy my 'input' consumes.

Don't forget within this period I've contributed with over six thousand on-topic messages, all the insane Bodom'esque drunk-parties within the years, attending ten concerts, buying keyboards and guitar and practising to play their music... so when you feel the composer isn't doing it from the bottom of heart you start thinking what the hell are you doing this for. At least I had the honour of being labeled "one of the biggest idiots ever on this planet" by one of the band members. :lol: No but honestly this is fun for me too but I'm thinking of using this energy too into something more useful. It's just something I use to chill once or twice a day.

get over it your fav band has changed their style, they dont make music for you.

yeah and now they're still the same, if just they just sell 1000 copies of their latest record it is ok..they totally dont mind . of course...

I'm not judging here dude ;)

and I can't say that they do mind or not!

but I'm pretty sure if they sell only 1000 copies the record label would punish them :D

^The thing is they will sell more than 1000 copies no matter if they put out an album of dwarves and flamingos, because their name has a reputation due to earlier masterpieces. And another point of view is, if you're not aiming for big sales, you're bold to take wild risks with the music and sound original.

^The thing is they will sell more than 1000 copies no matter if they put out an album of dwarves and flamingos, because their name has a reputation due to earlier masterpieces. And another point of view is, if you're not aiming for big sales, you're bold to take wild risks with the music and sound original.

yeah I was saying the same thing to that guy in the other thread who was saying how awesome lady gaga is just because she sells a lot!!

and I told him if lady gaga would record her farts and release it would climb to the top charts in a blink of an eye!:lol:

because she is supported by the industry.

I think COB took the risk because their new album is not even half heavy compared to early stuff!

IDK where did that come from! the band or the producer but whatever it was it degraded the album so much IMO!

Well here is the deal. I personally think that when they made HCDR - the hybrid album, they saw that the charts in the US exploded. That kinda gave them the direction towards what music to compose. AYDY was the key to instant success and they took the opportunity. But that's just my view on the whole thing.

only alexi kows why the sound changed. in fact the others are ok with this so what are we arguing about? what if they stop making music? what will we do- 50 % will commit suicide :lol: and it's obvious that alexi likes rrf- go grab a piece of paper and write music!! express your feelings and emotions at this moment and turn them to notes and some rhymes!! what will happen- well probably a hot mess but you'll still like it because it is yours!! you made it and it is kinda like your child so no matter what you'll still like it and if you like it you'll make another one like it and so on and so on and you won't give a shit about the opinion of the others. in fact, the dudes don't care about the shit we write here- they don't even read them!! rrf is not bad- try to listen to it thinking that it's their 1st album and forget about previous success- yesterday is dead and gone!! if that's the music they wanna make- ok let them do it. they are big boys and nobody's paying us to be a nanny

My judgement may surprise you but I don't look up to 99% of these people, most of them seem to live unhealthy and are not very bright individuals. Music is the only reason I have interest here, it's the only area where I consider them more advanced, and since I've other interests in life I'm not committing suicide.

alexi said lots of times that the previous albuns were wannabe malmsteen, and its true also that the newest albuns are more own style and original so maybe its that

alexi said lots of times that the previous albuns were wannabe malmsteen, and its true also that the newest albuns are more own style and original so maybe its that
except the early albums are far more original than the last three.